Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Tuesday 14th June 2011, 16:51   #12051
MICK SAUNT

How many red-foots?
A walk down the main track from Horsey Corner car park this morning resulted in a deja vu moment when I came face to face with a male red-footed falcon sitting on a post at the side of the path. From a head on view it looked like an adult but as soon as it turned slightly it was apparent it was a 1st summer.
Based on plumage I'm convinced that the bird is the same one that was there last Wednesday in exactly the same place and is also the bird which was at Hickling over the weekend.
After 'finding' the Hickling bird with another birder and putting the news out on Sunday (at the time didn't know it had been present late Saturday) myself and two others also had very distant views in the haze of what we were convinced was a female red-foot and put the news out as a 'probable'. In the afternoon the pager came up with both 1-s male and a female and would be interested to hear if anyone saw the female on Sunday.
Of interest(?) the bird this morning did what I think hobbies often do early in the day and that is to just sit around waiting for the air to warm up and the insects to become active so they are not always easy to find first thing. In the hour or so that I watched the bird for 99% of the time it was just loafing about on fence posts until it was eventually flushed by a group of holidaymakers walking down the Nelson Head track and I didn't see it again.
[Just seen on the pager it's back in the same area this evening - always worth a look!]

Mick
Old Tuesday 14th June 2011, 17:26   #12052
O.Reville1989
I started off with nothing and I've still got some of it left.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Eele View Post
Today’s highlights

Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh mid-morning only
Green sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Bittern – 2 juveniles on grazing marsh
Little gull – 2 1st summers on fresh marsh
Black tailed godwit – 70 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 1 on fresh marsh

Paul
spoonbill over west bank at 4:15, bittern over marsh soon after. Also little egret over about 3:45. Blackcap near fen hide and several sedge and cettis warblers and bearded tit and reed hunting around 2:30.2 marsh harriers also present.
Old Tuesday 14th June 2011, 18:01   #12053
Penny Clarke

Pete Snook just phoned me to say his is watching the Red-footed Falcon at Horsey all by himself with stunning, close views. He said he can't believe there is no one else there!!!

Well done Pete!
Old Tuesday 14th June 2011, 18:27   #12054
Paul Woolnough

No twitchers present?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke View Post
Pete Snook just phoned me to say his is watching the Red-footed Falcon at Horsey all by himself with stunning, close views. He said he can't believe there is no one else there!!!

Well done Pete!
  • Many would have gone on Sunday. I had other commitments.
  • After the roller twitch yesterday, I wasn't keen on a trip to Horsey Nelson's Head area, starting from north Norwich in the rush hour.
  • How mobile is the bird? Is a long(ish) walk involved? I was able to watch the roller whilst drinking tea next to where I had parked.
  • May well have gone if the red-foot was in the Cley Square. Not many records of the species there. I have seen a few over the years in the east of the county but none on the north coast at all, strangely.
Old Tuesday 14th June 2011, 18:38   #12055
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Woolnough View Post
[list][*]How mobile is the bird? Is a long(ish) walk involved?
Very mobile - Pete's has not been able to video yet, put it that way! Not far from the carpark.

Penny
Old Tuesday 14th June 2011, 21:26   #12056
O.Reville1989

Well Ruth (Girlfriend) has been desperate to see a Bittern for a while so took her to Titchwell today and luck was on her side with 2 sightings!
Also got a picture of these beauties, nothing major just a photo which I thought came out well for a small Samsung WB600!
Enjoy :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1502.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	338.3 KB
ID:	330919  
Old Tuesday 14th June 2011, 22:38   #12057
O.Reville1989

Marsh Warbler at Horsey Corner-Anyone know the exact location it was heard? Nelson's Head track?
Also same for the Red-Footed Falcon, don't know the area too well so directions would be great :)
Old Wednesday 15th June 2011, 14:39   #12058
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

If you look at the attached map Oliver you'll see (the arrow) where the Nelson Head track joins the dunes. Easiest parking is further to the north, as marked on the map.

Can anyone elaborate on today's probable longipennis Common Tern at Breydon Water? Following this Surfbirds discussion and the article in the latest Birding World it would be nice if this bird were to hang around for a while...

James
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Horsey Nelson Head track.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	331042  

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!

Last edited by Happisbirder : Wednesday 15th June 2011 at 15:02. Reason: Map...
Old Wednesday 15th June 2011, 16:07   #12059
Paul Eele

Titchwell June 15th

Today’s highlights

Spotted redshank – 7 on fresh marsh
Little gull – 1st summer on fresh marsh
Wheatear – 1 by beach boardwalk
Bittern – female feeding 4 young and showing well from main path

Paul
Old Wednesday 15th June 2011, 17:00   #12060
O.Reville1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frootshoot View Post
If you look at the attached map Oliver you'll see (the arrow) where the Nelson Head track joins the dunes. Easiest parking is further to the north, as marked on the map.

Can anyone elaborate on today's probable longipennis Common Tern at Breydon Water? Following this Surfbirds discussion and the article in the latest Birding World it would be nice if this bird were to hang around for a while...

James
Cheers James :).

Red-Spotted Bluethroat at West Runton today, majorly elusive but got 2 sightings between 5:00-5:15.
Old Wednesday 15th June 2011, 18:21   #12061
Stephen Buxton

Red-footed Falcon

Hoping to get to Horsey tomorrow to find the Red-footed falcon. Pager says bird at Horsey Gap. My OS map does not show a " Gap ".
Can anyone give me directions.
Many thanks in advance.
Stephen
Old Wednesday 15th June 2011, 18:28   #12062
rlass and me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lYrk...ature=youtu.be

yes I know its mull (we are going in september) but I thought what a great video
and thought you might like to watch
Old Wednesday 15th June 2011, 18:32   #12063
James Emerson
Norwich Birder

Horsey gap

Horsey Gap is basically the National Trust car park. If you look at the map a couple of posts up, the falcon has been between the carpark in the north and the arrow (where a track from the Nelsons Head pub meets the path along the dunes).

The entrance to the carpark is a bumpy track off a 90 degree bend on the coast road. Once parked head south-east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Buxton View Post
Hoping to get to Horsey tomorrow to find the Red-footed falcon. Pager says bird at Horsey Gap. My OS map does not show a " Gap ".
Can anyone give me directions.
Many thanks in advance.
Stephen
Old Wednesday 15th June 2011, 19:21   #12064
Stephen Buxton

Red-footed Falcon

Many thanks for your quick reply.
Stephen
Old Wednesday 15th June 2011, 20:46   #12065
Stewart J.

Hi all, a question re Med Gulls, as mentioned in my last post I was suprised to find them foraging in grass along with Black-heads at Stffkey camping site. Just how common are they now in Norfolk, I ask as 16 were counted late morning yesterday, as follows:- 9 adults, 5 second summers and 2 first summers.

That is the most I've ever seen in in one place in the UK, its possible there were more as there was a lot of activity with birds coming and going all the time. Quite something to get so close they are obviously used to us campers?

Again yesterday, Spoonbill flew East over Stiffkey saltmarsh at 17.00hrs, a single ad Little Gull and a Greenshank were seen mid afternoon.

Apologies for not posting yesterday puter battery was flat and no means of charging.

Good birding all

Stewart

BF Supporter 2005 2007 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 15th June 2011, 21:24   #12066
Tim P

Superb evening yesterday at Buxton Heath treated to numerous churring Night jars and close up views of hunting bird, before dusk really started to set in. Have uploaded instructions as to best place to be for views on to trailhead app. which appears a good method for logging local birding spots for the benefit of others..
Old Wednesday 15th June 2011, 22:12   #12067
O.Reville1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart J. View Post
Hi all, a question re Med Gulls, as mentioned in my last post I was suprised to find them foraging in grass along with Black-heads at Stffkey camping site. Just how common are they now in Norfolk, I ask as 16 were counted late morning yesterday, as follows:- 9 adults, 5 second summers and 2 first summers.

That is the most I've ever seen in in one place in the UK, its possible there were more as there was a lot of activity with birds coming and going all the time. Quite something to get so close they are obviously used to us campers?

Again yesterday, Spoonbill flew East over Stiffkey saltmarsh at 17.00hrs, a single ad Little Gull and a Greenshank were seen mid afternoon.

Apologies for not posting yesterday puter battery was flat and no means of charging.

Good birding all

Stewart
I've certainly seen far more this year than before, they really do stand out!
They are often seen at Cley but it seems they are becoming more and more common with every year.
Hope you are enjoying Norfolk!
Old Thursday 16th June 2011, 09:25   #12068
HarassedDad
Norfolk County Butterfly Recorder

re Meds: If you come to Yarmouth you can throw bread for them, and have them almost sit on your hand.

In other news, a Silver-washed Fritillary has been reported seen yesterday at Wheatfen reserve. Worth keeping your eyes out for a large orange and black butterfly in woods in the south and center of the county. Beware that Dark Green frit (almost identical) is flying at Horsey and the north coast, so good views are needed at those spots to be sure.
Old Thursday 16th June 2011, 12:04   #12069
davethebird

Red-footed Falcon

The Red-footed Falcon was about 1/2 a mile south of Horsey Gap car park yesterday favouring a single post at the western edge of the field for about 2 hours between about 2:30 and 4:30. It only left its perch for 3 short sallies in that time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Red-footed Falcon 110615  DSCN3741 snip.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	331194  Click image for larger version

Name:	Red-footed Falcon 110615 IMG_8584.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	331195  
Old Thursday 16th June 2011, 16:42   #12070
guernsey_dave
Registered User... registered user sounds like some kind of heroin addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethebird View Post
The Red-footed Falcon was about 1/2 a mile south of Horsey Gap car park yesterday favouring a single post at the western edge of the field for about 2 hours between about 2:30 and 4:30. It only left its perch for 3 short sallies in that time.
Thanks for letting me have a look through your scope having left mine in Norwich (doh!), your shots came out better than mine, were these (or atleast the perched shot) the digiscoped rather than slr-ed shots?)

Dave
Old Thursday 16th June 2011, 17:04   #12071
davethebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by guernsey_dave View Post
Thanks for letting me have a look through your scope having left mine in Norwich (doh!), your shots came out better than mine, were these (or atleast the perched shot) the digiscoped rather than slr-ed shots?)

Dave
Hi Dave,

Nice to meet you at the falcon. The perched shot was digiscoped and the flight shot was with the SLR.

Dave
Old Thursday 16th June 2011, 17:36   #12072
guernsey_dave
Registered User... registered user sounds like some kind of heroin addict

Anyone any info on this probable roller? How do you even get a 'probable' roller... I guess a non-birder could report a large bright blue bird to a birder looking for yesterdays bluethroat

Lakenheath was alive with cuckoos today, no idea how many were there but saw 3 males together, and 2 females, could have been more as they seemed to be calling all over the reserve. Heard one Oriole singing.

Last edited by guernsey_dave : Thursday 16th June 2011 at 17:50.
Old Thursday 16th June 2011, 18:13   #12073
O.Reville1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by guernsey_dave View Post
Anyone any info on this probable roller? How do you even get a 'probable' roller... I guess a non-birder could report a large bright blue bird to a birder looking for yesterdays bluethroat

Lakenheath was alive with cuckoos today, no idea how many were there but saw 3 males together, and 2 females, could have been more as they seemed to be calling all over the reserve. Heard one Oriole singing.
Nothing more than RBA put out really! The likelihood is that a non birder has reported it to someone looking for the RSB!
Roller up in Argyll as well but not sure what the chances are of it being the Suffolk bird!
Good to hear the cuckoos are doing well! Strumpshaw seems to have a few at the moment as well.
Old Thursday 16th June 2011, 18:24   #12074
O.Reville1989

Also anyone been down to Cley recently? Any sign of the Curlew Sandpiper?
Old Thursday 16th June 2011, 20:05   #12075
Garybirder
A bird a day

Red-footed Falcon

Showed really well at Horsey this evening on posts at the Nelson Head Track.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP3997.1.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	331285  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4004.1.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	331286  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread