• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (100 Viewers)

Penny. How can you have a probable roller!!!

You didn't ask me that in your PM to me Mark - just a congratulations message. No mention of "How can you have a probable roller!!!" - STIRRING AGAIN on a public forum - its getting beyond boring now. I'm not in the slightest bit bothered by what anyone thinks. I saw what I saw and full account is on blog. End of.

You didn't ask me that in your PM to me Mark - just a congratulations message. No mention of "How can you have a probable roller!!!" - STIRRING AGAIN on a public forum - its getting beyond boring now. I'm not in the slightest bit bothered by what anyone thinks. I saw what I saw and full account is on blog. End of.

I think the problem is Penny that in a lot of peoples minds a Roller is like a firework going off in your face! Unmissable.
Obviously we can all miss the obvious at times but I can see why some find it hard to believe it is possible to miss a Roller.
Think just leave it at that now and lucky you for seeing it again :)

Penny. I have no doubt you saw a Roller. You are a very honest observer who never over eggs what you have seen. Roller is not a difficult bird - I am sure we can agree on that? A brief view of a Roller even in flight would stick out like a sore thumb! On that basis I can not see how you could have a probable Roller!! On that basis you saw a Roller and there should be nothing probable about it!! Note, the only nutter's in Norfolk, will be those with bins and scopes stood at Thornham at the crack of dawn!! Of course that could not be you! If it is, hope the Caspian Tern sticks? Caspian Terns are rather obvious - but not as obvious as Rollers! Big Ben is not as obvious as a Roller, although Big Ben is considerably larger!!

Here are some photos. http://www.arkive.org/european-roller/coracias-garrulus/photos.html

If you saw one of those you would know what it was!! Any problems with the ID here and I would suggest consideration of putting bins and scope on ebay as there is little point continuing birding other than feeding the birds in the garden!! I know we all make mistakes, but not a Roller!! Are there any confusion species? Suggestions welcome please, apart from Roller which is not a confusion species!!

Well done for finding proper rarity. Reward for those many hours in the field. Regards.

Last edited:
Only one other birder here with me in torrential rain at Thornham! Does anyone know if it roosted on the beach o r in one creeks close by?

Penny (nutter)

Last edited:
No place like home!

Having dipped the Woodbridge Roller, I feel a little happier looking out of my home-office window now and seeing these guys! There are four, but one insists on remaining aloof!

Attachments

• 3 Turtles.jpg
    3 Turtles.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 140
Black kite , my first reaction was like yours , " how do you get a probable roller ". But if any observer is not sure for any reason then the sighting has to be a probable. Better that than to claim something unrealiable.

Tried Horsey for the red-footed falcon this morning, only to be told that it had last been seen heading inland. So we tried Hickling in the hope that it had headed there, and found it being hassled by a hobby, before it popped down in a dead tree and treated us to smashing views. Shame the female wasn't still about, it would have been nice to get both of them at once.

One Quail singing at Choseley Barns late afternoon also at least two more singing between choseley and docking (one photographed).

I feel like I have been up for 24 hours!!!!! Spectacular day with stonking views of CASPIAN TERN both at Holme and Titchwell, Bitterns and a very photographical Common Tern, Grasshopper Warbler reeling in NOA carpark.

No sign of Caspian Tern in gull/tern roost tonight up to 9pm at Thornham Harbour.

I see Graham E. has put the exact picture on surfbirds that I took of the red-footed falcon in a tree, except his is a 'sunny' picture:t: whereas mine was taken in rain!:-C

Heard this evening that there was a Firecrest and a Marsh Tit seen in the pine tree opposite NWT payhut today.

Full account on blog.

Penn

Attachments

• IMG_4335.JPG
    IMG_4335.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Spotted flycatchers

A couple of "record" shots from yesterday. There's another nest not far away so hope the male does his bit for the youngsters

Attachments

• SPOTFLYNEST 001.jpg
    SPOTFLYNEST 001.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 94
  • SPOTFLYNEST 002.jpg
    SPOTFLYNEST 002.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 92

Users who are viewing this thread

Back