• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panjin, Liaoning, China (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
Encountered some fledglings being fed by adults in some cottonwood trees by an irrigation canal. Hard to get a good look or photo due to shooting from deep shade towards bright light and unable to get a better angle. Very short tail and wings even on adults led me to think some sort of starling at the time, but unable to match pale unmarked face, lightly streaked chest and belly, black tail and black wing markings. Large eyes did look rather like a flycatcher, but body, wing and tail shape don't match that.

Attachments

• NT4A2409.jpg
    NT4A2409.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 56
  • NT4A2417.jpg
    NT4A2417.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 72
  • NT4A2483.jpg
    NT4A2483.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 72
  • NT4A2635.jpg
    NT4A2635.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 58
  • NT4A2475.jpg
    NT4A2475.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 59
Took quite a bit of digging, but final conclusion is that Daurian Starling is the best fit for appearance and expected range.

Brazil had it as Daurian Starling (Sturnus sturninus), while MacKinnon (which is what I was using) has it as Purple-backed Starling (Sturnus sturninus).

Trying to search online was even worse as OBC had it as Daurian Starling/Purple-backed Starling (Agropsar sturninus), while IBC was just Purple-backed Starling (Agropsar sturninus) and Avibase and eBird say Daurian Starling (Agropsar sturninus).

Last edited:
Hi, I found a few pictures and a little discussion on this page (here), but still no clear stripy breast pictures - seems like an easy feature, funny not to find pics of it.

Hi, I found a few pictures and a little discussion on this page (here), but still no clear stripy breast pictures - seems like an easy feature, funny not to find pics of it.

I think the problem is there are no available images of juveniles that early in the season. The Korean example is much later (Aug) and is clearly in active moult, but what age is it? First-winters are apparently very similar to adults but I am wondering if juveniles undergo a partial body moult (like many species) which might help explain the streaking on the breast?

Grahame

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back