• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42 FL (1 Viewer)

pimpelmees

hello, should i buy a 10x42 victory FL or wait for the new ones that come later in the year ?
And what about the after service from zeiss,i hear bad reports about it ?
what is true and not ?

The after sales service I have received from Zeiss has been superb. I have just bought the 8x32 FL. I don't see how this can be improved personally. It's quality.

On paper, the new 8x42 Conquest equals or beats the FL in every way, for less than half the price. There MUST be some quality difference, but I could wait till March to find out how significant it is before spending the extra money for the FL.

Of course, only the 8x42 has been announced so far.
Ron

Surely if you`re ready to buy, choose from what`s available, how can Zeiss radically improve the Victory ?, the next best thing is often only a modest improvement at this level, IMO.

I would wait for the new product announcement set for March. That will probably introduce new flagship binoculars. Even if you decide against the new ones, price reductions could be coming for the current models as they are phased out

The after sales service I have received from Zeiss has been superb. I have just bought the 8x32 FL. I don't see how this can be improved personally. It's quality.

I've heard a lot of good about Zeiss aftercare, also it seems that people don't tend to need it very often which must be a good thing. I've also just got 8x32 FLs and am also very impressed with them.

Surely if you`re ready to buy, choose from what`s available, how can Zeiss radically improve the Victory ?, the next best thing is often only a modest improvement at this level, IMO.

The

Only thing that comes to mind is enriching the Color. My 10x42's were really bright but the Color was always a bit washed out.

On paper, the new 8x42 Conquest equals or beats the FL in every way, for less than half the price. There MUST be some quality difference, but I could wait till March to find out how significant it is before spending the extra money for the FL.

Ron

The 10x42 also

Ron

The Victory has a wider FOV, but yes, many of the other specs are just as good.

Conquest has no lotutec or flouride glass and less sophisticated eye cups and focus wheel and diopter. Whether their prisms are as good is a matter of debate; I think that it is safe to assume that theirs don't cost as much.

Last edited:
Conquest has no lotutec or flouride glass and less sophisticated eye cups and focus wheel and diopter. Whether their prisms are as good is a matter of debate.

Bob:
Have you tried the new Conquest, and the FL ? If not, how do you know about the eyecups and the focus and diopter. Lotutec, is not a big deal, and HD glass whether FL, or other, means little, as they both should do the same thing.

I am wondering about your early review, and comparison. ;)

Jerry

Bob:
Have you tried the new Conquest, and the FL ? If not, how do you know about the eyecups and the focus and diopter. Lotutec, is not a big deal, and HD glass whether FL, or other, means little, as they both should do the same thing.

I am wondering about your early review, and comparison. ;)

Jerry

Jerry,

Sorry, I should have documented my remarks. It's not a review. Just a summary of what is on Zeiss's web site about the Victorys. They use "flourite" to describe the glass in the Victory's. They mention Lotutec. They make a big deal of the focus wheel and the 4 position eye cups.

I haven't seen anything like that for the Conquests yet but maybe it is coming soon?

And then too, it was written before the new Conquests appeared so maybe Zeiss will down play it all now?

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=524521

Click on the "Victory FL Demo" link shown at the right for the information above.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob:
I figured that, and for those wondering, the new Conquest will need to be below the
current FL, or we are in for a wonderful surprise.

Those links are not live, and would be good to see.

Zeiss should be improving things, and the FL needs to, as it is currently below the Swaro. and the Nikon EDG, in my opinion, as I am sure they are aware from sales.
Competition is good for all, and the best always strive to be better.

Jerry

Any FL owner must almost dread the possibility that the new Conquest is, as alleged, practically as good, and, "pin sharp to the edge" too! Catch me, I'm feeling weak here...
Ron

Any FL owner must almost dread the possibility that the new Conquest is, as alleged, practically as good, and, "pin sharp to the edge" too! Catch me, I'm feeling weak here...
Ron

Ron:

Don't worry, the Conquest will perform as it is priced, midrange. I am
sure Zeiss does not want any of its FL optics owners dropping over ! ;)

It is always fun to talk about the new optics entering the market, I wish
all of them well. What is known, is that the picky testers here will give them a good thrashing.

Jerry

Conquest has no lotutec or flouride glass and less sophisticated eye cups and focus wheel and diopter. Whether their prisms are as good is a matter of debate; I think that it is safe to assume that theirs don't cost as much.

The new Conquests have Lotutec.

Ron

Ron,

You make a good point, I said something similar on the Conquest ED thread (great minds think alike :).

If the FL II is significantly better than the FL (if they significantly reduce the astigmatism, it will be), and the Conquest HD is as good as the initial reports seem to indicate (we still need more eyes on them), with the discounts on the original FLs, the prospective Zeiss buyer is going to scratching his head wondering if he should buy an old stock, used/refurb FL or a new Conquest HD?

However good they are optically, not everybody is going to like the Conquest HDs, and some simply won't buy them because they are not "the best" (you know who I'm talking about).

By having several offerings, old stock FLs, FL IIs, old stock Conquests and the new HDs, it give buyers some choices. Whatever the choice, if they are buying Zeiss, the company is making money.

I think it's going to be a win-win situation for both customer and company.

Brock

hello, should i buy a 10x42 victory FL or wait for the new ones that come later in the year ?
And what about the after service from zeiss,i hear bad reports about it ?
what is true and not?

pimpelmees,

Here's a Zeiss 10x32 FL (pre-Lotutec) for sale on Astromart for $1,000. Seller will ship internationally. Not as bright as the 42 FL, of course, but they are reported to be the brightest in their class (in fact, they made the dean's list :).

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=767825

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back