• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I tried the new Zeiss SF (1 Viewer)

I am talking about the latest 2014 SLC HD 8x42, I don't know about previous versions as I have only tried the SLC 8x30 NEU

thanks for you findings!
It might be a bit unfair to compare 32mm with 42mm in low light,
since a bigger exit pupil and light gathering capacity in the 8x42mm will
kill any 32mm…just not the 8x32 SV...
:t:

This assumption is so user specific it is almost irrelevant.

Best wishes,

Read post #11, it sounds like a credible observation to me. The idea that Zeiss would design an $2700 binocular to have virtually the same view as one that costs $1000 just doesn't seem plausible.

Of course, the perception which is a big improvement somewhat relative.
Many find it difficult to see any big difference between $400 and $ 1000 optics. And there should not be any easier for them to see the difference between $1000 and $2700 bino. There is a difference, but in this level, each percent improvement in quality and performance costs many percent price increase. Some people find it worth the price, other don't.

Having that said: I am looking forward to try the new SF! B :)

If memory serves, I believe I've been down this road before, and it didn't go all that well.:king: But what the hell, here I go again. I own arguably one of the best, if not the best binocular mankind has ever made, and I think it is A LOT !!!!!! better than $1000 binoculars. If I didn't, I would have just bought a $1000 binocular. I could sell them right now for at least what I paid and still buy a $1000 binocular, but I don't want to. I'm not sure where the percentage analogy comes from either. How do you quantify that one binocular is X percent better than another binocular, like so many people like to do?

Damn, I just went there, again. Oh well, things were getting a little stale on here, it was time to let off a little steam.
Note to self, don't tell the truth, just learn to go along to get along.:-O

Diatribe over.
I hope you like the SF, maybe it will be the binocular of a lifetime for you.:t:

Of course, the perception which is a big improvement somewhat relative.
Many find it difficult to see any big difference between $400 and $ 1000 optics. And there should not be any easier for them to see the difference between $1000 and $2700 bino. There is a difference, but in this level, each percent improvement in quality and performance costs many percent price increase. Some people find it worth the price, other don't.

Having that said: I am looking forward to try the new SF! B :)

Last edited:
So will the SF be a $2700 binocular or actually more?

Saw this bit of info on the Eagle Optics website:

Preorder this Zeiss Victory SF now and beat the $300 price increase for 2015. No payment required until your binocular ships. For details and to lock in 2014 pricing, call Eagle Optics 1-800-289-1132

If this is actually true it looks like we are going to be pushing the 3K barrier!

Last edited:
I'll have to pass if that's the case. I just can't see a $3000 binocular that's only 1 or 2 percent better than a $2000 binocular being worth the extra $1000. I doubt that most people could see any difference. 3:):king::-O

If this is actually true it looks like we are going to be pushing the 3K barrier!

So will the SF be a $2700 binocular or actually more?

Saw this bit of info on the Eagle Optics website:

Preorder this Zeiss Victory SF now and beat the $300 price increase for 2015. No payment required until your binocular ships. For details and to lock in 2014 pricing, call Eagle Optics 1-800-289-1132

threatening with price increase on a binocular that yet haven't been delivered feels like NEGATIVE marketing to me..

Last edited:
threatening with price increase on a binocular that yet haven't been delivered feels like NEGATIVE marketing to me..

Look, as long as there's no official announcement from Zeiss about a price increase I don't really think anybody knows what will happen. Just taking the statement of some American retailer to conclude Zeiss will increase their prices next year and thus indulges in "negative marketing" is ...

Well, I'm not going to say what I think it is. There's so much speculation in these threads about the SF, it's just not true.

Hermann

Last edited:
If my memory is correct didn't the ad in question in Post#26 above first come out in September when one could pre-order an SF and receive a custom made leather covered notebook suitable for keeping birding records?

There was a time limit on the offer of the notebook.

Bob

Last edited:
Actually, Eagle Optics is a fantastic optics dealer run by honest, decent folks. Their ad is POSITIVE and informative. What more could you ask for.

Before you bad mouth a dealer please do some verification.
http://www.optics4birding.com/zeiss-victory-sf-8x42-binoculars.html
http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/zeiss/zeiss_victory_sf_review.html
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/zeiss/zeiss-victory-sf-10x42-binocular

Steady on Pilatus old pal, I don't think Hermann meant to bad mouth the retailer.

Lee

Zeiss 8x 42 sf Rolling Ball effect.

Did you notice the rolling ball effect? I am looking at getting an 8x42 bin but don't want the rolling ball effect. I suspect that is not an issue with lots of folks but it is for me. I tried a SWarovision 10x42 and thought the view brilliant but whenever I panned I felt a bit queasy I get car sick and sea sick easily. I was told by the owner the rolling ball effect was a result of a new technology which flattens the image. He says he no longer notices the rolling ball effect after a few days of use.
Currently I am using the Zeiss 8x32 Fl.

Did you notice the rolling ball effect? I am looking at getting an 8x42 bin but don't want the rolling ball effect. I suspect that is not an issue with lots of folks but it is for me. I tried a SWarovision 10x42 and thought the view brilliant but whenever I panned I felt a bit queasy I get car sick and sea sick easily. I was told by the owner the rolling ball effect was a result of a new technology which flattens the image. He says he no longer notices the rolling ball effect after a few days of use.
Currently I am using the Zeiss 8x32 Fl.

Hi Leightern

The rolling ball effect is an unwanted side-effect of the field-flatteners that are there to ensure all the field of view to be sharp pretty much to the edge. Make the field super-flat and some folks like you get queasy when they pan, make the field less flat and the sharpness as you get near the edge of the field of view drops away.

Most aspects of binocular optics are like this: balancing one thing against another.

My understanding is that Zeiss have taken particular care to give just enough field flattening without getting into the zone where folks get sea-sick when they pan.

I have tried several pre-production SFs and panned without any sensation of rolling ball. But note two things. I am not you and the SFs I tried were not production units but were made to production standards.

If I were you I would try SFs out to see if they suit you, but I would do so with a high level of confidence that you will not see any rolling ball.

Good luck.

Lee

If memory serves, I believe I've been down this road before, and it didn't go all that well.:king: But what the hell, here I go again. I own arguably one of the best, if not the best binocular mankind has ever made, and I think it is A LOT !!!!!! better than $1000 binoculars. If I didn't, I would have just bought a $1000 binocular. I could sell them right now for at least what I paid and still buy a $1000 binocular, but I don't want to. I'm not sure where the percentage analogy comes from either. How do you quantify that one binocular is X percent better than another binocular, like so many people like to do?

Damn, I just went there, again. Oh well, things were getting a little stale on here, it was time to let off a little steam.
Note to self, don't tell the truth, just learn to go along to get along.:-O

Diatribe over.
I hope you like the SF, maybe it will be the binocular of a lifetime for you.:t:

I received the test sample of Conquest HD 8x42 today. Though I am sure SF 8x42 is noticable better I will keep the Conquest HD. The price difference is huge and Conquest HD is an excellent binocular for the price. It will replace my Swarovski SLC New 7x42.

Best regards, Patric

Hi Leightern

The rolling ball effect is an unwanted side-effect of the field-flatteners that are there to ensure all the field of view to be sharp pretty much to the edge. Make the field super-flat and some folks like you get queasy when they pan, make the field less flat and the sharpness as you get near the edge of the field of view drops away.

Most aspects of binocular optics are like this: balancing one thing against another.

My understanding is that Zeiss have taken particular care to give just enough field flattening without getting into the zone where folks get sea-sick when they pan.

I have tried several pre-production SFs and panned without any sensation of rolling ball. But note two things. I am not you and the SFs I tried were not production units but were made to production standards.

If I were you I would try SFs out to see if they suit you, but I would do so with a high level of confidence that you will not see any rolling ball.

Good luck.

Lee

Lee,

This has been discussed before, but the rolling ball effect is not an inevitable side-effect of field flatteners as such or of fields that are sharp to the edge, but is an inevitable side-effect of correcting rectilinear distortion (of the form known as pincushion distortion). It is entirely possible to design an eyepiece which gives sharp image all the way to the edge of the field, with a super-flat field and no rolling ball, as long as enough pincushion is allowed. So the compromise is not between rolling ball and edge sharpness but rolling ball and pincushion distortion.

An example of such a design is the Canon 10x42 IS L, which matches the 10x Swarovisions (42 & 50mm) for both centerfield and field edge resolution and has no rolling ball. When comparing what a small circle looks like when you pan with these binoculars, with the SV's it squeezes into an oval when it approaches the field edge (Henry has posted some photos that show this clearly) but in the Canon it remains a circle.

I have tried one single sample of the Zeiss SF, also a 10x42 model, and the distortion/rolling ball balance in that sample was very similar to the 10x42 Swarovision and very different from the Canon. As far as resolution at the very edge, the SF was much better than any previous Zeiss I have seen, but not quite as good as the Canon and the Swarovski. These were hand-held comparisons, and to keep the playing field level I did not use the image stabilizer of the Canon. I wouldn't be surprised if the edge resolution of production samples would differ from this early sample, but it would be surprising if the rectilinear distortion/angular magnification distortion pattern would change significantly.

Kimmo

Last edited:
I'm glad you like the Conquest. :t:

I received the test sample of Conquest HD 8x42 today. Though I am sure SF 8x42 is noticable better I will keep the Conquest HD. The price difference is huge and Conquest HD is an excellent binocular for the price. It will replace my Swarovski SLC New 7x42.

Best regards, Patric

Long after the anniversary sale, you can buy a new EL 10X42 SV from an authorized dealer on eBay for probably $1900 average. I saw Dunns auction a new pair off for $1825 recently. I don't know if anyone sells Zeiss at those kind of discounts or not.

Binoculars Canada lists them at $2800.00 CAD

http://www.binocularscanada.com/eNe...cat=10&subcat=79&brand=Zeiss&search=&sortby=1

Which would put them at around $2500 US. And, retailers will discount, so expect prices not far off any current alpha.

Lee,

This has been discussed before, but the rolling ball effect is not an inevitable side-effect of field flatteners as such or of fields that are sharp to the edge, but is an inevitable side-effect of correcting rectilinear distortion (of the form known as pincushion distortion). It is entirely possible to design an eyepiece which gives sharp image all the way to the edge of the field, with a super-flat field and no rolling ball, as long as enough pincushion is allowed. So the compromise is not between rolling ball and edge sharpness but rolling ball and pincushion distortion.

Kimmo

Thanks Kimmo, of course you are correct and I posted in too much haste.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back