• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I tried the new Zeiss SF (1 Viewer)

Lee,

This has been discussed before, but the rolling ball effect is not an inevitable side-effect of field flatteners as such or of fields that are sharp to the edge, but is an inevitable side-effect of correcting rectilinear with the SV's it squeezes into an oval when it approaches the field edge (Henry has posted some photos that show this clearly) but in the Canon it remains a circle.

Kimmo

One does not need to put a circle or rulers near the edge of FOV of the 8x32 SV to notice the barrel distortion, as everything gets so obvisouly distorted the further you go away from the centre of field, then things really get squashed at the limit.
I hated even more the pincushion in the SLC 8x30 WB Neu though which to me was just unacceptable and made an overwise very good glass disappointing.
I believe that there is improvement to be made on the 8x32 SV regarding barrel distortion ON STATIC VIEW for starters, I personnally don't care about the rolling ball effect (I actually do little panning anyway) even if I'm aware of course that if you reduce one you'll reduce the other.

Now to get back to the SF, I did notice very slight blurring at the very edge, but if it is the trade-off to strongly reduce barrel distortion on super wide FOV glasses, I think it will be the best compromise.

Sorry if members already know this...

But I hear that units are already in the Uk...
Has anyone received their pair from birdfair yet???

By the sounds of it,,, someone must have

Cheers Tim

Has anyone on here ordered a pair, I'm anxious to hear from them. Lee, do you have a pair coming ? :smoke:

Hi bh

I am waiting to try out a production unit but I don't mind admitting that the field of view in the 8x is very attractive.

Lee

First Try of the Zeiss SF

At the weekend I've had the opportunity to try out the new Zeiss SF and compare them directly to the Swaro SV 8,5x42.
I've used them only 10 min on a murky November day; so my remarks are in no way representative:

- What strikes me is that the SF seem to be a lot lighter than they actually are - probably due to the weight balance
- A second point for the SF is the field of view - noticable wider than the Swaro
- For me personally the optical performance of the Swaro is better: the view is more relaxed, the colours are more vibrant
- The edge sharpness of the Swaro is also superior to the Zeiss

So my conclusion:

The SF is definitely a very good binocular - but the performance of the SF is only an evolution, not a revolution.

In my oponion the crazy hype about this new bino is not justified - but extremely good marketing by good old aunt Zeiss.

At the weekend I've had the opportunity to try out the new Zeiss SF and compare them directly to the Swaro SV 8,5x42.
I've used them only 10 min on a murky November day; so my remarks are in no way representative:

- What strikes me is that the SF seem to be a lot lighter than they actually are - probably due to the weight balance
- A second point for the SF is the field of view - noticable wider than the Swaro
- For me personally the optical performance of the Swaro is better: the view is more relaxed, the colours are more vibrant

So my conclusion:

The SF is definitely a very good binocular - but the performance of the SF is only an evolution, not a revolution.

In my oponion the crazy hype about this new bino is not justified - but extremely good marketing by good old aunt Zeiss.

So, you're saying the Schott glass in the Swaro is superior to the Schott owned glass in the Zeiss, correct ?

So my conclusion:

Considering the high optical quality and light transmission of the best binoculars today I think we can state that no binocular will ever be a revolution compared to what exists since earlier. It's already ~95% of the perfect and probably there is not much more to gain: sharpness to the edges is already almost 100% but 100% light transmission will never be reached.
And if it did: you would be able to notice just a tad better contrast and brightness. Nothing revolutionary, because the optical performance is already close to perfect.

I know that I will be contradicted now... ;)

I know that I will be contradicted now... ;)

Allow me ...

100% light transmission will never be reached. And if it did: you would be able to notice just a tad better contrast and brightness.

I would say 'would you ?' rather than 'you would' ...

These tiny incremental increases in transmission are already beyond the limits of human perception ;)

I appreciate that there is a school of thought on here that 'if you can't see the difference then get your eyes tested' and that may work for those whose eyesight is so good that they should work for NASA. For me, if you don't see it, you don't buy it, no big deal.

I know that I will be contradicted now... :-O

Best wishes,

:eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!:

So my conclusion:

tethered objective covers?

I've seen the pictures of the Zeiss SF, but am curious as to the installation of objective lens covers. It looks as though the distance between the front bridge & the front end of the bino is quite narrow for a tether, and the 'bi-level' design at the objective end would make it extremely difficult to mount a lens cap that would stay in place. Are there any pictures available showing the objective lens cap in place? Thanks!

So my conclusion:

Duck ! :eek!:

That'll bring Lee out swingin' ...... dem's fightin' words !! :storm:

Chosun :gh:

Karmantra,post55,
Zeiss has designed good objective covers, which fit into the tube of the objective lenses and which are attached by a small cord to the carrying strap. Works fine.
Gijs

I've seen the pictures of the Zeiss SF, but am curious as to the installation of objective lens covers. It looks as though the distance between the front bridge & the front end of the bino is quite narrow for a tether, and the 'bi-level' design at the objective end would make it extremely difficult to mount a lens cap that would stay in place. Are there any pictures available showing the objective lens cap in place? Thanks!

Will post some pictures tomorrow!

Sometimes the truth hurts!

Lol!

Bryce...

LOL, Hi guys and gals.

Toni's remarks sound pretty reasonable to me. He credits SF with a light feel, and a wide FOV.

His opinion that the Swaro has a more relaxed view, more vibrant etc is an expression of personal preference and nothing wrong with that.

As for edge sharpness, I haven't done a comparison yet between SF and EL SV but since edge sharpness is easier to achieve with smaller fields of view Toni could be right about this considering the extra wide FOV of the SF.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back