• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

32/36mm "almost" compacts (1 Viewer)

dustyview

I got to the local Sportsman's Warehouse today to check out the 6x32 Katmais. I had called earlier to verify they were in stock so I was a little irritated that they had only the 8x, not the 6x. Since I was there I spent some time trying out several different pairs of various brands. I started out with the Swaro EL8x32 and Ultravid 8x20 as references, plus I had my 8x28 Vortex Hurricanes with me. The Bushnell Excursion EX 7x36 were a bit of a disappointment - not as bright as I had hoped and not super sharp. Also uninspiring (for the price) were the new Monarchs in 8x36 (although they were light). I did enjoy the little 8x20 Swaro pockets (not bad in the not-too-well-lit store interior, similar to the Ultravids), but they're still pricey and I was interested in something with a slightly bigger exit pupil. The 8x32 Katmais were a great size, and seemed comfortable to use, so I will track down a pair of the 6x to try. Optically they seemed very good: bright and relatively sharp (sharper than the Hurricanes, but not alpha (or good porro) sharp). The biggest surprises were a pair of $139 8x32 Brunton Echos (they seemed as good (maybe better) than the Monarch 8x36 at twice the price), and were fairly light, although not particularly small, and the first pair of Bushnell Custom Compact Elites I've tried (7x26 reverse porros). These last ones were pretty amazing, with optical performance rivaling the Swaro Pockets and Ultravids at less than half the price, and they seemed brighter. Just to be fair I compared them to a couple other pairs of RPs (incl. the Nikon Prostaff), which they put to shame (they also clearly beat my Hurricanes in every way). Although they are heavier and bulkier than the Pockets or Ultravids, they are still very "jacket pocketable" and seemed easier to hang onto. Definitely a whole size step down from any of the 32 or 36mm bins I tried. I think I hear my credit card squeaking at my from my wallet..... ;)

Last edited:
I've got a Bausch & Lomb Custom 7x26. You're right they are nice. The only thing the alpha pocket size have on them is true shirt pocket size.

Edit: Sorry, I read right over "Bausch & Lomb". The Elite E2s have twist-up eyecups, a mag. body and new coatings.

Are yours the newest ones, Steve? If so, have you (or has anyone else) reviewed them? My searches aren't turning up much on the current Elite E2 model (only one short review).

I'll add to what I wrote above that they seem very solidly built. They also lack that (to me) too-contrasty almost artificial brightness common to all the roofs I've tried. Unfortunately, Bushnell says they are not o-ring sealed/purged. I wonder why?

I've got a Bausch & Lomb Custom 7x26. You're right they are nice. The only thing the alpha pocket size have on them is true shirt pocket size.

Last edited:
Mine are among the last to be labeled B&L. There was no change made in the glass other than the label (AFAIK) when they became Bushnell. I do not know what if any coating changes are in the current Elite style. Mine have gotten plenty wet more than once with no problems.

I Have had the All the Custom models,but I am ,or was ,very curious about the elites...The last model of the Custom,was the one that lasted only a week..It got sand inside and fogged while birding the Oregon Coast,last year,in windy conditions with some ocean spray..It was harsh weather,but not brutal,and only two days..they didnt hold at all..they had a couple of large-medium grains of sand inside and one objective fogged badly,..It cleared later,but still...
I love the custom size and the new optics suppose to be VERY good, I imagine contrast and glare having improved,so they probably are Killer optics,..but then I called bushnell,and they told me that they are NOT water-weather resistant AT ALL...Nothing,..
WHY?.. I asked them..they are the ELITES!!!!..Ohh..It would get too expensive..I mean,.,They ARE expensive..250-275$..PORRO PRISM ,26mm Glass!!!..What is the deal?..They waterproof the crappy H2O reverse,that cost ..50$?..C,MON!!!! two O-rings and a bit of Nitrogen!
Sorry...I really want them to be waterproof..Because I am a BIG fan of the CUSTOM..But I am NOT expending 275$ in a binocular with that kind of (not) durability

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back