• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Famous or celebrity birders. (1 Viewer)

In Sept birdwatching, there's a picture of Marc Riley (on page 48). Marc was for a long time a member of The Fall before starting his own band - The Creepers. Then went on to even more "fame" as a radio DJ using the name "Lard". Good to know a few other "old punks" have taken to birding.

Andrew Whitehouse said:
I've seen mention that Jarvis Cocker and Damon Albarn are or were both birders, although I reckon this could be pretty tenuous e.g. they were once members of the YOC for three weeks when they were 10 sort of thing.

I'd forgotten that Mike Hooper was a birder. If a professional footballer was going to be a birder it would have to be a goalkeeper. Anything else is just inconceivable.

Didn't Mike Hooper take a "sickie" from training, twitch Bridled Tern on Anglesey and end up being seen by one of the Liverpool coaches on a BBC report? Or is that another birding urban myth?

This is good in a way because I am learning of famous people from other countries but I have never heard of most of them. I read that Mick Jagger is a birder.

lvn600 said:
I've heard that Theodore Roosevelt and Jimmy Carter were birders. Can you name any other famous people who were or are birders?

It's a pretty small list, isn't it? My brother, who is an ornithologist, was asked some years ago to show some Arctic birds to then Secretary of Defense James Schlesinger.

A little-known fact is that current U.S. first lady Laura Bush has a strong interest in certain conservation issues, and also birds:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A39160-2001Mar21?language=printer

MikeCross said:
Didn't Mike Hooper take a "sickie" from training, twitch Bridled Tern on Anglesey and end up being seen by one of the Liverpool coaches on a BBC report? Or is that another birding urban myth?

I heard it was a sickie for the Naumann's Thrush. Either way, probably true!! I first heard of him when he saw an Little Egret over either Anfield, or maybe the training ground, back in the days when it meant something.

No one mentioned Harold Wilson. I remember reading about him being paranoid that the russians were spying on him while he was birding in Scilly. Think it was from a link from a thread in BF

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back