• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yahoo update messages! Scam or not (1 Viewer)

Bananafishbones

Incoherently Rambling .....
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Yahoo account and have recently received upgrade messages telling me to link to a upgrade otherwise I will lose access to my account. What first made me wary was the spelling mistakes within the message. I have continued to ignore them and still have my normal usage.

I have now been able to see who has sent me the message its an individual from shaw.ca ???

anyway I am unable to see where I contact Yahoo legitimately to ask whats going on.

Can anyone advise
Cheers
Dave

As a rule of thumb, if there's any spelling or other obvious mistakes, it's spam.

Most upgrades and other such messages will be notified to you via your account i.e. you log in first, and the message will be within your account.

I regularly have to explain to clients about HMRC scam emails - basically, HMRC never send out emails! The tricksters are clever in that they tempt you with a refund, a "realistic" amount (£783.25 or such) rather than the old £1m-type nonsense.

Yahoo will de-activate accounts that are not used for a while. If how ever you use your account quite often then I would say this is a scam. clicking the link could lead to your system being infected. you can call Yahoo Uk on 0800 014 8189 and if they want you to update they can do it over the phone.

Yup, I had one of these from Yahoo! a couple of months back, ignored it, and my account is still OK !
<EDIT actually I reported it to Yahoo! but never heard anything back END EDIT>

Yup, I had one of these from Yahoo! a couple of months back, ignored it, and my account is still OK !
<EDIT actually I reported it to Yahoo! but never heard anything back END EDIT>

Yes, those sort of notifications are spam. Accounts are deactivated by suspension or by individual initiative only. Be very careful there, that site is having problems. Graphic images are reported by numerous users
and the images continue to stand. Apparently having very little staff on hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back