• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Death Of The Alpha? (1 Viewer)

Not sure when that review was done but the deer season is closed in most if not all states in US. And whoever wrote that review I doubt is a hunter. 95% of hunters don't care or don't enough about binoculars. Excluding ppl in here. 😀
I think this thread has really turned to free plain advertising at this point. Is advertising disguised in discussion clothes.

Not sure when that review was done but the deer season is closed in most if not all states in US. And whoever wrote that review I doubt is a hunter. 95% of hunters don't care or don't enough about binoculars. Excluding ppl in here. ��
I think this thread has really turned to free plain advertising at this point. Is advertising disguised in discussion clothes.
"95% of hunters don't care or don't enough about binoculars."

The heck they don't don't. Have you ever ventured into some of the Hunting Forums? They can be just as picky as the birders and all the hunters I know are really picky about their binoculars. They really value low-light performance and resolution so they can see the deer or elk clearly or whatever.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...wng_9FxSQuuTvDws9FdOvQ&bvm=bv.146094739,d.amc

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...2rZPBtykjwYGRxcOS-ijgA&bvm=bv.146094739,d.amc

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...2rZPBtykjwYGRxcOS-ijgA&bvm=bv.146094739,d.amc

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...-iNPb8XI5OUjq_tClZJZzw&bvm=bv.146094739,d.amc

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...Jqd7rF12Za8w0lxMQxUUTQ&bvm=bv.146094739,d.amc

Last edited:
:-O

I think we all know who wrote this "review :-O" eh Dennis ???????
No, here is my review on Amazon.com.
https://www.amazon.com/Tract-Toric-...d=1486398179&sr=8-1&keywords=tract+toric+8x42

Top Customer Reviews

5.0 out of 5 starsThis is the best binocular I have seen for less than $1200.
By Dennis W. Mau on August 31, 2016
Verified Purchase
I received the Tract Toric 8x42 today and I must say I am very impressed. I have only had a chance to use it for about 6 hours but I did take it up in the mountains and compared it under different lighting conditions to my Swarovski 8x32 SV. I agree with everything jgraider says about it. This is the only mid-priced binocular that I have ever tried that I wanted to keep.

First of all the build quality is way beyond any mid-tiered binocular I have seen. This binocular is alpha-level quality and made in Japan. Nothing looks cheap on this binocular.

Eyecups-These eyecups work very smoothly and there is no slop in them like most mid-priced binoculars. These are alpha-level eyecups and maybe even better than some alpha's. The rubber that meets your eyes is very comfortable and almost perfect in size like a Swarovski.

Focus Mechanism- Not too hard and not too easy. Perfect in tension both ways and the perfect speed. The focus is very Zeiss SF like. Excellent.

Ergonomics- The ergonomics are great and the armour appears very quality. This binocular is much sleeker and more comfortable in the hand than say a Zeiss Conquest HD or a Maven.

Optics- The optics are neutral with no color cast. It is a very bright sharp view with about a 70% sweetspot and the edges are very good with very little fall off in sharpness. It almost seems like an SV but you do notice a little fall off in sharpness at the edges. There is no RB feeling which is nice. Flare control is excellent. Much better than my little SV. I tested it at extreme angles and it showed hardly any flare under bright sunny conditions. It performed much better than say my Habicht 8x30 W did for flare. The transmission on this binocular must be high because it is very bright under low light conditions. The 8x32 SV does have a bigger FOV but the FOV on the Toric does not seem that small in comparison. I compared it to a Conquest 8x42 HD and I will have to agree with jgraider in that it is slightly brighter and sharper to my eyes also. I really like my SV 8x32 but it is really nice to use a binocular that controls glare better like this one.

Size and weight- I weighed it on my scale at 26 oz. and the dimensions were surprisingly not that much bigger than the 8x32 SV as the pictures show. So this is a nice compact and relatively light 8x42 binocular.

Overall- This is the best mid-tiered binocular I have ever tried and I am very picky but I just can't find anything wrong with it. You have to get your own case but it comes with a nice strap, tethered objective covers, and a nice rainguard. This binocular is really a bargain at $650.
Read less

Last edited:
The reviewer has many pictures of the Tract's so I don't think he made it up.

But really Dennis, I ask you, honestly, who writes stuff like "When the migration takes place its so easy for me to find my subject with the field of view these offer." I find that phraseology so unnatural, but hey thats my problem.

Lee

But really Dennis, I ask you, honestly, who writes stuff like "When the migration takes place its so easy for me to find my subject with the field of view these offer." I find that phraseology so unnatural, but hey thats my problem.

Lee
Just as long as you know I am not guilty of that unnatural phraseology.B :)

Just as long as you know I am not guilty of that unnatural phraseology.B :)

Never thought you were Dennis.
But beware or I will don the Pants of Power and Thong of Wisdom and visit justice upon you! :king:

Sorry about that but its Monday and dull and wintery and I just needed to liven things up.... :-O

Lee

When I read a review like the one from Amazon (not yours Dennis), especially one that ends with "Tract Toric 8X42 Binocular - Award Winning Optics for Hunting and Birding in Low-Light Conditions with Wide Field Of View" - I can only think that it must have been paid for by Tract. I have seen a lot of this type of thing on Amazon lately and it is troublesome.

I still would like to get a pair though ;).

When I read a review like the one from Amazon (not yours Dennis), especially one that ends with "Tract Toric 8X42 Binocular - Award Winning Optics for Hunting and Birding in Low-Light Conditions with Wide Field Of View" - I can only think that it must have been paid for by Tract. I have seen a lot of this type of thing on Amazon lately and it is troublesome.

I still would like to get a pair though ;).
There are reviewers on Amazon who are given a free product in exchange for writing a review on it but they have to note a disclaimer in their review and say that they were actually paid for the review but in my experience even those reviews are pretty honest. I highly doubt if Tract Optics would pay in anyway for a positive review. They really don't need to the binoculars speak for themselves.

Hey, no posts since 4 days !!
So this means the alpha is now finally, completely and utterly dead ?
Or, to say it in the words of a famous person on Twitter:" Total disaster - sad!"
Can I send flowers - where ??

Last edited:
Hey, no posts since 4 days !!

No posts for 4 days? Dennis must be sick then. Probably got the flu or something.

Otherwise he'd surely be promoting his latest love to make sure someone snatches it up on Ebay at an inflated price so he can get himself a Noctivid or an SF ... :king:

Hermann

Well I got the chance to have a quick look through the 10x42 Noctivid and 10x and 8x Zeiss SF today. Both great bins and I preferred the 10x SF to the 8x. I'd need a longer test to pick between the two tens though, although I preferred the weight and feel of the Zeiss.

What this does tell me though is that the 'alpha' isn't dead - if I had the cash I'd be keen to own either of these bins...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back