• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Death Of The Alpha? (4 Viewers)

As pointed out already, we do have a venum-toting viper in the UK but it only has a small mouth and it is pretty shy most of the time. A prodding finger or an unsuspecting toe could get bitten if the snake was cornered or half asleep or something. They are certainly not aggressive and a few years back we had a very close encounter with a female and by being very slow and careful not to scare her we were able to get very close and follow her for several metres before we left her to do her own thing.

I wouldn't want a close focus any longer than about 6 feet though, no matter whether it was a Zeiss or not and there are loads of models nowadays that can do this or better.

Lee
What kind of snake(viper) is it. Show me a picture. Interesting.

What kind of snake(viper) is it. Show me a picture. Interesting.

Dennis, here is a pic of an Adder (British name for this viper) that I took in France a few years ago. This is a male. Females are more brown and cream than this almost black and cream colouration.

Nice looking animal and if you treat them with respect they are fine.

Lee

Attachments

• Red France_2009_Jun_4529.jpg
    Red France_2009_Jun_4529.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 111
Dennis, here is a pic of an Adder (British name for this viper) that I took in France a few years ago. This is a male. Females are more brown and cream than this almost black and cream colouration.

Nice looking animal and if you treat them with respect they are fine.

Lee
NICE picture! He looks like our Diamondback Rattlesnake. I wouldn't want to get bit by him!:eek!:

LOL you guys are funny. Neither rich nor hillybilly - I just took to heart tales of compound interest at an early age and woke up one day and realized I didn't need to stay in the career that I never really enjoyed. However, since I still have school age children, it's not a true retirement ;).

LOL you guys are funny. Neither rich nor hillybilly - I just took to heart tales of compound interest at an early age and woke up one day and realized I didn't need to stay in the career that I never really enjoyed. However, since I still have school age children, it's not a true retirement ;).

Well Pete, you will find that passing the time of day with us on here is much like spending time with your school-age kids :eek!: :-O

And I'll have a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale, thanks :t:
Lee

Too bad we're all so distant otherwise I'd be happy to get beers all around! And Newcastle is available here too, good stuff.

I actually have been looking at the Maven B3 8x30, as an alternative to the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 I have when I want something lighter/smaller. I don't think Tract has something in that size, correct?

Too bad we're all so distant otherwise I'd be happy to get beers all around! And Newcastle is available here too, good stuff.

I actually have been looking at the Maven B3 8x30, as an alternative to the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 I have when I want something lighter/smaller. I don't think Tract has something in that size, correct?
No, Tract just presently makes the Toric and Tekoa in 8x42 and 10x42. No, 8x30's. Chartwell99 has some good things to say about the Maven B.3 8x30.

"Steve's recommendation is the reason I purchased my B2 9 x 45 and, as I've posted in the past, this model continues to be a game changer for me. My most recent 8 x 30/32 roof prism binocular has been a Meopta B1 Meostar and while it is a remarkable instrument, I continued to struggle with blackouts. Minor ones, to be sure, and nothing like the issues I had with the Nikon SE 8 x 32s, but annoying nonetheless. To make a long story short, I sold the Meoptas and ordered a demo Maven B3 8 x 30. I have long been a fan of the 8 x 30 configuration, have owned all the Alphas over the years (although no current models), and this one blows all of them away. Bright, precise and an absolute pleasure to use. It's a different "Wow" from the 9 x 45 B2, but an unmistakable "Wow" nonetheless. I still love my Opticron 8 x 32 SR GA, especially its more pronounced 3D image and possibly brighter image, but the Opticron is not waterproof, is heavier and I suspect being a porro, more fragile. Interestingly, the demo B3 8 x 30 came with both the microfiber bag and the Maven hard case. Mine was also orange and gray - not the color combo I probably would have chosen buying the binocular new but its starting to grow on me (and my wife actually prefers it to the black and gray colors for the B2). Condition of the demo was truly as new, with no signs of use. The demo program is a great deal, and the Maven folks are really on to something."

Last edited:
Here is Tract's show schedule for 2017. An excellent way to test and try their binoculars.

We’ll be hitting the road for several outdoor shows around the country this year. Come see first-hand why TRACT is changing the way people buy optics! See our 2017 schedule below.

Binoculars Scopes About Us

TOP 5 REASONS TO COME CHECK OUT TRACT THIS YEAR

To See For Yourself
Come see why our TORIC 10x42 binocular won the prestigious Great Buy Award and how the TORIC 3-15x50 riflescope scored high enough to take second place overall in the Outdoor Life Optics Test.

TRACT as a Resource

TRACT’s goal is to serve as a resource just as much as we want to supply you with premium optics at a reasonable price. We also highly encourage you to take the opportunity at the show to compare the TRACT products to other manufacturers.

Customize The Scope To Your Rifle

Allow us to walk you through our Impact Ballistic Program, which allows you to match up your BDC reticle to virtually any cartridge. If you prefer to dial your turret to compensate for bullet drop, let us walk you through that custom turret process as well. Whatever method you prefer, come check us out and let us help you master long range shooting.

Show Specials & Hunting Optics Package Giveaway

At each show we will have one or two products at a no-brainer price as our way of saying “Thank You” for making the trip to see us. Plus, we will be offering a chance for you to win our 2017 Hunting Optics Package just by signing up for our newsletter. Winner will be chosen on September 1, 2017.

Meet The Jon's

Jon LaCorte and Jon Allen have been fortunate to spend their entire careers in the outdoor industry and have learned from some of the best. So even if you’re not in the market for optics, stop by the booth and let’s swap stories.

TRACT 2017 SHOW SCHEDULE

Great American Outdoor Show
Harrisburg, PA
February 4th – 12th
Booth # 239

Western Hunting & Conservation Expo
Salt Lake City, UT
February 16th – 19th
Booth # 2443

World Fishing & Outdoor Expo
Suffern, NY
March 2nd – 5th
Booth # 815

NRA Annual Meetings / Exhibits
Atlanta, GA
April 27th – 30th
Booth # 4470

Texas Trophy Hunters Extravaganza
Houston, TX
August 4th – 6th
Booth # TBA

Fort Worth, TX
August 11th – 13th
Booth # TBA

San Antonio, TX
August 18th – 20th
Booth # TBA

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back