• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jacana's Art (1 Viewer)

Jacana

Will Jones
Spain
Every now and then I quite like to pick up my brush and have a go at painting birds. It's all strictly amateur, but I though I'd put some of my favourite pictures up. None of them are taken from "life" so to speak, i've just found a nice photo, and attempted to recreate it in paint. Any constructive critisisms are welcome!

oh and I don't have any photoshop software, so these are straight from the scanner so to speak.

Attachments

• blue jay.jpg
    blue jay.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 92
  • dendroica.jpg
    dendroica.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 107
  • grass finches.jpg
    grass finches.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 90
  • pittas.jpg
    pittas.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 82
Very nice. These are done with a great deal of control, a good hand. But better than that it's obvious to me that you enjoyed the whole process and that's what it should be about; Enjoyment.

Keep posting, I'll bet you've got a stack of these...

Mike

Hiya Will - good of you to drop by, mate.
Just one thing I like to see when talking about bird portraiture and that's the facial expression. If someone's going to miss the target - it's there. Yet there we are in your first post - Blue Jay - as characteristic and beautifully proportioned as a Bateman drawing - spot on. Particularly taken by the grass finches too - smart little birds which you've captured; as light as a feather and balanced on the stem perfectly.
Great start!

I wonder how many more hidden talents are waiting to be shown on birdforum - excellent control with colour, some beautiful poses and were I to have seen any of these species on the flesh, I imagine the character would be spot on too. Looking forward to seeing more.

thank you very much for all your kind words

@Woody: You're right, I enjoy the process very much, it's very relaxing. I do have a few more, but they are mostly at home and I can't get to them for a while.

@Tim: That's high praise indeed! The Grassfinches is my favourite one of the lot too. I've not really had trouble with the facial features as much as I have with legs and feet, I struggle with them the most.

@SVS & Larry: They are my favourites as well!

welcome to the forum. The finches are my favorite, and you have a wonderful way with color. Ditto the other comments as well.

Here's a new one I did last week of a Scarlet-rumped Trogon and a Coppersmith Barbet. The colours didn't come out as well on the scanner this time...

Attachments

• will5.jpg
    will5.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 75
Thanks for the comments guys!

Here's another one I finished yesterday of two Taiwanese endemics, the Flamecrest and the Mikado Pheasant.

Attachments

• taiwan.jpg
    taiwan.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 78
Thanks for the comments guys!

Here's another one I finished yesterday of two Taiwanese endemics, the Flamecrest and the Mikado Pheasant.

Lovely stuff, i like the Pheasant looks like a cross between a Pheasant and a Black Grouse.

More lovely stuff. You sure know how to pick a beautiful bird, these two are stonkers!

Mike

of all the birds featured on the thread i've only acutally seen Coppersmith Barbets, Gurney's Pittas and Long-tailed Grassfinches (in an aviary). It's the frustration of not being out birding in foreign parts that drives me to paint them, it's a great release.

It's been a while since I last updated this! Done very little really since I last posted, but should have a few more finished over the next few weeks...

Orange-bellied Leafbird and Long-tailed Broadbill, two of my favourite birds from Doi Inthanon, Thailand

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 61
Very nice, Will - just the one thing I'd be tempted to do (unless you have a practical reason for not doing) is to extend the upper twig to connect with the lower limb - I think it would bring a nice completeness to the plate. Lovely birds again - great to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back