• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (36 Viewers)

What are peoples' thoughts on the origin of the Aldeby white stork? I notice it's been around a couple of days now and I'm wondering if it's worth a punt

I saw it today, and waited in vain for it to cross into Suffolk. It is unringed and full-winged so in my view its as good as they get.

No rain today so looks like the anticipated glut of overshooters has not materialised however still time.

A few more birds around though. Here inland I've had a Spotted Flycatcher in the garden, and up to at least 6 Swifts now. Just starting to drizzle again...

White stork

What are peoples' thoughts on the origin of the Aldeby white stork? I notice it's been around a couple of days now and I'm wondering if it's worth a punt

Birders present consider the bird to be a good candidate for a wild individual. It was suggested that the Thrigby birds do not venture to this area.

I checked the RBA website for stork sightings this month. There is a strong case to suggest a bird seen at various places in Suffolk and beyond, during the week, which has settled at Aldeby, is a vagrant.

I saw it today, and waited in vain for it to cross into Suffolk. It is unringed and full-winged so in my view its as good as they get.

I started to head back to my car at Aldeby around 130. I realised the stork was not roosting, as it had been for some time but had disappeared. For some minutes I had no idea where the bird was. In fact it was circling over my head!

The bird then flew downriver and over the poplars into Castle Marshes Suffolk at 1.45pm. Suffolk and "Lizardland" tick for me. My patience was rewarded, I was on site soon after 9am!

Other sightings
Presumed yellow-legged gull, grey plover and five hobbies at the shooting pools. When the stork briefly flew out of sight, late am, I walked back up East End Lane and joined two birders watching the gulls in the ploughed field. Jammed a first summer Caspian Gull: my first in Norfolk for a few years. It soon flew off and did not return.

Cannot see them all or be lucky all the time
Justin Lansdell and Andy Wilkinson joined me at the stork am. They told me where the bar-tailed godwits had been at Buckenham. Birds I missed!

I dipped the barwit flock from the access track. Did not fancy the trek in the wind to the Mill. Flock only viewable from the Mill. I don't normally walk that far. Barwit still needed for Mid Yare Valley after more years than I can remember!

The circumstances around the Falcon were interesting. Next another man pulled up in his car to say the Falcon was flying along the Point in our direction - whether either man was telling the truth i have no idea. I legged it up the Hills but still no Falcon.

The falcon flew east over the lifeboat station, it was then picked up from the west bank at cley about 30 minutes later, circled high over the beach road and then flew back out to the point. No further reports

Birders present consider the bird to be a good candidate for a wild individual. It was suggested that the Thrigby birds do not venture to this area.

Birders not present consider the bird to be a good candidate for an escaped indivdiual. It has been suggested that the Thrigby birds do indeed venture all over the place including locations much further away than this - as do various other escaped or free-flying White Storks.

I checked the RBA website for stork sightings this month. There is a strong case to suggest a bird seen at various places in Suffolk and beyond, during the week, which has settled at Aldeby, is a vagrant.

I didn't check any website for stork sightings this month but I think there is only a strong case to suggest a bird has been seen at several places in Suffolk and beyond, not that it is a vagrant.

All that said, I actually think it might be wild. It's a good time of year for vagrants to turn up and the conditions are suitable. If you're going to tick any White Stork that doesn't have some real proof of wild origin like an appropriately-traced ring (as I have) then you might as well tick this one. But don't be surprised if it flies north for a few miles and then drops down in the Thrigby area.

whinchat, wheatere, 2 yellow wags and a redstart at chosley barns, c17.45 all standing together quite strangely.. couple of Corn B's and a yellowhammer, whitethroat, common garden birds too.

I used to live at St Olaves a few miles north of Alderby and we used to regulary have an escaped white stork from Thrigby at this time of year in the area on occasion in company with an African Crowned Crane.

Scope and Tripod left in Abbey Farm Hide, Flitcham

this evening when I arrived at around 6.45pm. Please PM with description/to arrange collection/OR read my blog....

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Had a White Stork over my house at Long Stratton today. Know it must have been one coz only something that big could deposit so much bird-crap onto my bedroom window!! :C ;)

Started off at Hunstanton Lighthouse at 6.30am and found a Whinchat and my first swifts of the year.

Other highlights, nightingale at Holme, new butterflies for the year, turtle dove purring, garden warbler, lesser whitethroat, black tailed skimmers and little owl and kingfisher at Flitcham.

Congratulations to MG for finding a Citrine Wagtail at Cley this evening! Too late for me though!

See blog for full update.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

The falcon flew east over the lifeboat station, it was then picked up from the west bank at cley about 30 minutes later, circled high over the beach road and then flew back out to the point. No further reports

yeah you got it Stuey, soon as the man and the dog and the man in car started rumming salt into the wound, I doubted them not one iota, yet I knew there was no chance whatsoever I was going to connect with a bird that was apparently flying right past my eyes. As a result i can blame no other apart from myself for the pure birding ineptitude i was displaying at the time. Yet I am still revelling in the bizarre chain of circumstances that lead to this event...!!

Having slept on this, (well 4 hours at least and here I am rubbing sand out of my ears), I would like to recide the above statement and I still can only conclude I willingly chose not to see this bird an approach that is surely more reassuring than choosing to believe in external reality!

Last edited:
Apparently a White Stork was seen over Hickling NWT late morning today, presumably the same one which flew north from Aldeby at 10am...

James

EDIT - the Aldeby Stork still present at 3pm (per RBA)

Last edited:
A very pleasant visit to Titchwell yesterday. Enjoyable morning on the reserve then the afternoon on the photoraphy workshop.

For fellow Luddites I would recommend these sessions - they are advertised on their website.

Paul was superb taking us throught the basics, then after a welcome cuppa. a trip onto the reserve.

Thanks to Paul and to the RSPB for this initiative.

Hugh

Lift To Collared Flycatcher?

Hey guys,

As my bike is off the road for the nexr few days I have no way of getting to the Flycatcher at Holme.

I was wondering if anyone was going past or anywhere near Swaffham tomorrow in an attempt to view the bird? and wanted to share fuel?

Please inbox me or reply on here.

Thanks guys

yeah you got it Stuey, soon as the man and the dog and the man in car started rumming salt into the wound, I doubted them not one iota, yet I knew there was no chance whatsoever I was going to connect with a bird that was apparently flying right past my eyes. As a result i can blame no other apart from myself for the pure birding ineptitude i was displaying at the time. Yet I am still revelling in the bizarre chain of circumstances that lead to this event...!!

Having slept on this, (well 4 hours at least and here I am rubbing sand out of my ears), I would like to recide the above statement and I still can only conclude I willingly chose not to see this bird an approach that is surely more reassuring than choosing to believe in external reality!

I was watching people on the west bank from the visitor centre at Cley who could see it !!

there was nothing external about it, I made a massive miscalculation as to where to stand !!!

So close but yet so far!

Almost got this bird on the hut list which is no more than 50 metres away from the tree the bird is in.

You'd be amazed in how many people this morning were coming up to me while I was on the hut telling me there was a Pied Fly by the caravan.

Big thanks to the finder and to the guy/s who let me look at the little gem in the scope and for putting me onto the bird!!!

Collared Flycatcher

I was working in the garden when Alison came out to tell me that the mega alert had just gone off. A quick check of the message and we grabbed our stuff and set off for Holme and the Collared Flycatcher.

We had a brief side view of the bird on its 'usual' perch before it decided to desert this. The next view was from almost vertically below it. Still, it was great to get another lifer. :t:

Attachments

• Collared Flycatcher 110508 IMG_6424 BF.jpg
    Collared Flycatcher 110508 IMG_6424 BF.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Collared Flycatcher 110508 IMG_6407.jpg
    Collared Flycatcher 110508 IMG_6407.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 274

Users who are viewing this thread

Back