• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comparisons (1 Viewer)

Theo98

Eurasian Goldfinch
I'm looking for comparative experiences between the mid-tier Conquest HD, Maven B3 and the Viper HD (8x30 to 8x32 formats). Considering all being relatively equal in price (due to possible used Conquest purchase), what would you suggest for travel, scenic venues and general birding? I do not wear glasses and consider accurate color, smooth mechanics and an immersive FOV to be paramount in my purchase.

Appreciate any comments,

Ted

Ted,

Just some personal predudices that I'm sure others would disagree with.

Just for birding, I'd choose the Conquest HD. I think it's a little over priced, but fov, colour, ergonomics etc. I'd personally put it ahead of the Viper HD (do check it's a good one). For travel and events I'd rule out the Conquest HD as just a bit too big. If I didn't wear glasses, I'd go for the Maven (or Kite Lynx here). The Viper HD might be a reasonable compromise, but I don't like expensive compromises. I might just save myself some money and go for the Opticron Traveller Mg Black instead. A really nice travel bino which will serve well enough for birding and works with glasses. It's sweet spot might be a bit less than the others, but you do save a lot of weight.

David

Last edited:
Ted

I absolutely agree with David here.

I would cite Conquest HD 8x32 as a great all round nature observation instrument not just for its optics but also for its focus action that is just fast enough to accommodate going back and forth between nearby subjects like butterflies and then getting on a distant hawk before it disappears and then back again on a dragonfly before that zooms off.

But there is no doubt Conquest is a bit larger than a typical 32mm so David's recommendation of the Opticron as a travel instrument is sound if this is important to you.

Lee

David, Lee and Steve...Thanks for your comments & suggestions!

My reasoning for mentioning just these 3 is due to reading overall reviews and comments, both here and other optical forums, of their many positive attributes (in 8x30\32 formats)! Trying to stay around +-$500, so:

The Opticron Traveler looks good, but FOV too narrow for 8x32!

Conquest HD - Out of my budget unless purchasing used. More of a full size bino, but optical quality and great ergonomics would fit my needs well!

Viper HD - In budget and has close focus of just 1m, nice. Rugged and great no-fault warranty, but somewhat smallish FOV (looking for 140m+). Still good optical quality and build, could work for what I want!?

Maven B3 - On budget, great FOV, lightweight and most compact, great no-fault warranty, high transmission for a 30mm (92% av. color spectrum-according to Mike), smooth focus but might be too fast (Mike states 270deg from CF to infinity), forum reviews state neutral and accurate color fidelity! Loose bridge (as per Frank D), has been given more resistance (as per Mike). Overall, B3's may be just the travel ticket for backup to my 8x32 SV's!?!

Ted

My reasoning for mentioning just these 3 is due to reading overall reviews and comments, both here and other optical forums, of their many positive attributes (in 8x30\32 formats)! Trying to stay around +-$500, so:

The Opticron Traveler looks good, but FOV too narrow for 8x32!

Conquest HD - Out of my budget unless purchasing used. More of a full size bino, but optical quality and great ergonomics would fit my needs well!

Viper HD - In budget and has close focus of just 1m, nice. Rugged and great no-fault warranty, but somewhat smallish FOV (looking for 140m+). Still good optical quality and build, could work for what I want!?

Maven B3 - On budget, great FOV, lightweight and most compact, great no-fault warranty, high transmission for a 30mm (92% av. color spectrum-according to Mike), smooth focus but might be too fast (Mike states 270deg from CF to infinity), forum reviews state neutral and accurate color fidelity! Loose bridge (as per Frank D), has been given more resistance (as per Mike). Overall, B3's may be just the travel ticket for backup to my 8x32 SV's!?!

Ted

Hey Ted..
I've had two of the three you are mentioning, the Viper HD and the Maven. I've had the Viper HD for quite a while. It has never let me down and functionality and service has been and is perfect. It's not a sexy choice but solid it is. I can recommend it without reservation. It goes canoeing, camping, with me on the motorcycle, etc, etc. Basically wherever I go and not willing to risk a pricier optic...

I owned the Maven for a short time. Eye relief was my only issue with it. I thought the optics were excellent. If you want to try something different, the Maven would be a solid choice and their return polity is excellent. I swapped the 8X30 for a 9X45 and still have it. I also recently added a 8X42 for a little fun...

I don't think you'd go wrong with any of the above.. Here is a couple of pics I have that may be of help.

Attachments

• DSC_0520_1.JPG
    DSC_0520_1.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC_0522.JPG
    DSC_0522.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 133

Ted

Keep in mind the Maven 8x30 B3 has an actual measured fov of 445', vs the stated 420'. I have three of these and it is the same on all three, so I doubt it is the result of my measuring one unique specimen with some above average tolerance.

The focus travel on all three of the B3 8x30 I have is 1.25 turns. It is just right and, trust me, it is not too fast. As I recall Mike has the 6x30. Looking back at my review notes I see I did not note the focus travel and did not see where I stated it in my review. Perhaps the 6x30 is somewhat quicker.

Frank's may have been anomaly as far as the bridge looseness is concerned. Mine are all satisfactorily tight.

Hey Ted ... It sounds like you are looking for a backup to your expensive Swaro 8X32 that does not have near the financial exposure should something happen to it. However it still offer a very good view.

Consider the Cabela's 8X32 Guide. It does offer a surprisingly good view. It was on sale for $149, but it and it's fraternal 10X32 twin went back to the normal pricing recently. What is interesting is the 10X32 is back at the sale price but the 8X32 is still at the normal $249 price. Maybe the 8X32 will go back on sale in the near future. Even at the normal price, the 8X32 is a great buy. It is a Leupold BX-3 Mojave that sells for $350, but has Cabela's badging.

I have both the 8X32 Guide and the Nikon Monarch 7 8X30 (a close relative to the Maven). The Guide is much easier to use with easier eye placement. The Nikon is a little smaller and lighter for travel and hiking, but the Guide is close. Optically, the edge goes to the Nikon because it has di-electric coatings, but the difference is quite small. If I had to choose, I am leaning toward the Guide because it is such a joy to use.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=332112

Check it out if you have a Cablea's near by.

One other I would consider is the Zeiss Terra 8X32, but my experience is limited with it.

I've had the Viper HD for quite a while. It has never let me down and functionality and service has been and is perfect...
I owned the Maven for a short time. Eye relief was my only issue with it. I thought the optics were excellent. If you want to try something different, the Maven would be a solid choice and their return polity is excellent

Hey Chuck, the Viper would be a "solid" choice, but the B3 looks to offer an additional 45ft FOV. ER shouldn't be an issue as I don't wear glasses! Thanks for the Pics! :t:

Keep in mind the Maven 8x30 B3 has an actual measured fov of 445', vs the stated 420'.
Check..Great!
The focus travel on all three of the B3 8x30 I have is 1.25 turns.
Double Check...Perfect!!
Mine are all satisfactorily tight.
Triple Check...Cool Deal...Thanks Steve!!!

Hey Ted ... It sounds like you are looking for a backup to your expensive Swaro 8X32 that does not have near the financial exposure should something happen to it.
Actually Bruce, I use the 8x32 SV's, SHMBO will use the newest bins when we travel!
Consider the Cabela's 8X32 Guide. It does offer a surprisingly good view...It is a Leupold BX-3 Mojave that sells for $350, but has Cabela's badging.
I agree, they are very nice! Already have the BX-3 and just looking for another 8x30\32 that she might find more comfortable!
One other I would consider is the Zeiss Terra 8X32, but my experience is limited with it.
Looked at the Terras last year...okay, but wasn't very impressed, that's why I got the Leupold BX-3 to start with!!!

Appreciate all the help guys...Will weigh in on all the data and decide! :t: B :)

Ted

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back