• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to line a coconut shell!! (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
Can anyone advise please.Today I decided to re-fill the half coconut shells(the ones that one buys already filled with fat and seeds)The problem was ,the fat seeped through the shell.There was lots of filling,grated nuts,raisins,and ground feeder food,but they did not turn out as one buys them from the shop.So has anyone any idea as to how I can line the shell,but so thatthe birds are not harmed when feeding etc.Clingfilm would be no use ,due to the hot fat,foil perhaps could be used but would it be harmful to the birds once they had pecked down to the base.Any ideas gratefully received,please.
Thankyou.

How about lining it with grease paper first, wait a little while until the mixture cools down, then pour it in?

To be honest, Christine, if the mixture has cooled, then you probably don't need the gp paper... besides, won't it fall out?

Birdman ,now I am confused.No,the mixture must be poured intothe shell and allowed to set,I also use yogurt pots ,but put those fat balls into the large wire fatball holders.But of course,yes,if one does use the greaseproof paper,then yes the fat may not adhere to the lining of the coconut shell.Another of my ideas down the swannee.I just thought it would be a good idea to re-use the shells.Perhaps,someone may have an idea of some coating which could be used inside the shells.

Well, I've asked the expert!

My good lady puts the fat mixture in when its "warmish", but after thinking about it, she thought, why not put the paper (or foil? or whatever?) on the outside of the shell, and then put it in the fridge to set.

I did think about that Birdman but the fat may run out of the outside lining paper,but will give it a try,when I am next cooking !!.They need to empty the ones I have made,which will not take long!!.

christineredgate said:
Can anyone advise please.Today I decided to re-fill the half coconut shells(the ones that one buys already filled with fat and seeds)The problem was ,the fat seeped through the shell.There was lots of filling,grated nuts,raisins,and ground feeder food,but they did not turn out as one buys them from the shop.So has anyone any idea as to how I can line the shell,but so that the birds are not harmed when feeding etc.Clingfilm would be no use ,due to the hot fat,foil perhaps could be used but would it be harmful to the birds once they had pecked down to the base.Any ideas gratefully received,please.
Thankyou.

When you say seeped through do you mean the holes in the shell, assuming that you do, can't you cover them with sticky tap fill up the shells and bung 'em in the fridge, when set peel off the tape. I used to use those plastic trays that microwave meals came in but the birds didn't like them much, probable trying to avoid junk food:-(

Mick

Mickymouse said:
I used to use those plastic trays that microwave meals came in but the birds didn't like them much, probable trying to avoid junk food:-(

Mick
I used to buy those tinfoil trays, filled them up, put them in the freezer, then when they were ready, would wait until room termperature and tip the mix out onto the birdtable. Perfect rectangle/square. Job done.

No,Mick there are no holes in the shells,they just seem to be very porous,and the fat seeps through the shell.

christineredgate said:
No,Mick there are no holes in the shells,they just seem to be very porous,and the fat seeps through the shell.

It occurred to me this morning for some reason, have you tried putting the shells in the freezer so they are realy cold and pouring the fat mix in then, hopefully the first fat going in would set instantly thus sealing the shell? Just a thought that might worth trying.

Mick

Mick,thankyou,good idea.I am about to have another try.I did think that if I left the fat mixture to partly solidify and then pour it into the shells that be better.But yes,will definitely give it a try.
Can just imagine Barry's comments on opening the fridge to find his food and all he can see are rows of empty coconut shells!!!

A re think,Mick using your idea,is to pop the coconut shells into the freezer,and allow the mixture to partly solidify before using.Will test this out in the next few days.Shells are now in the freezer.Just hope they do not crack when removed!!

Wow you British types have me completely lost! I'm not sure what the idea is here. Are we putting regular kitchen "fat" in coconut shells and then hanging them from the trees? Is the fat, simply grease run-off from bacon, etc?

Thanks for clarifying for this confused American <easy now, I know the jokes are too easy with that intro...!>

jward said:
Wow you British types have me completely lost! I'm not sure what the idea is here. Are we putting regular kitchen "fat" in coconut shells and then hanging them from the trees? Is the fat, simply grease run-off from bacon, etc?

Thanks for clarifying for this confused American <easy now, I know the jokes are too easy with that intro...!>
No it,s the kind you would buy in blocks, for use in a fryingpan for doing a fry-up.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back