• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 7x42 BGAT*P* Unusual Surprise (1 Viewer)

opticjunkie

Hi all,

I am relatively new to this forum, although I have had hundreds of binoculars go through my hands in the last 6 years. I purchased a Zeiss 7x42 BGAT*P* Dialyt last night off eBay, my 5th copy in as many years. The seller said it was BNIB and I was very skeptical (as he had no Sales feedback)

I only went through the purchase because he was in the next state (Sydney, Australia, I am in Melbourne) so I thought, if it doesn't arrive, I can just get my money back in a week or so through Paypal.

To my surprise, they arrived THIS morning ( the next morning via Platinum express Post) and lo and behold BNIB...WOW
It is a boxed brand new with all accessories untouched and blank warranty papers, unused strap unused ocular guard and beautiful leather case etc. In fact the leather case smells absolutely sublime...new new new smell.

Looking through these, I had a revelation. I have always loved the view through the 7x42, however this particular one seems to be very 'crisp' for the loss of a better word.

Just to put things into perspective, I use a Zeiss HT 8x42 as my daily driver and this particular 7x42 Dialyt is almost on par in brightness, resolution and contrast (although the HT is slightly brighter, not by much though). The colour balance is pretty much 'spot on' and the 'ease of view' is as good as the 7x42's reputation boasts, however the 'crispness' is something else.

It is tac sharp in the centre as is to be expected, but there is something more to this binocular that I have not seen in my previous 4 models I have owned. Its that 'crispness' of the image that I have not seen in my previous models

Maybe its the coatings, they seem to be the last generation on this model, it has a very high serial number so it is probably one of the last models that came out of the factory

All I can say is that I was pleasantly surprised, firstly that it is as stated BNIB and more so pleasantly surprised that the view is also a revelation to me, someone who has spent many hours looking through heaps of top quality glass over the years.

Just thought I'd share my observations and experience

cheers
Peter

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am relatively new to this forum, although I have had hundreds of binoculars go through my hands in the last 6 years. I purchased a Zeiss 7x42 BGAT*P* Dialyt last night off eBay, my 5th copy in as many years. The seller said it was BNIB and I was very skeptical (as he had no Sales feedback)

I only went through the purchase because he was in the next state (Sydney, Australia, I am in Melbourne) so I thought, if it doesn't arrive, I can just get my money back in a week or so through Paypal.

To my surprise, they arrived THIS morning ( the next morning via Platinum express Post) and lo and behold BNIB...WOW
It is a boxed brand new with all accessories untouched and blank warranty papers, unused strap unused ocular guard and beautiful leather case etc. In fact the leather case smells absolutely sublime...new new new smell.

Looking through these, I had a revelation. I have always loved the view through the 7x42, however this particular one seems to be very 'crisp' for the loss of a better word.

Just to put things into perspective, I use a Zeiss HT 8x42 as my daily driver and this particular 7x42 Dialyt is almost on par in brightness, resolution and contrast (although the HT is slightly brighter, not by much though). The colour balance is pretty much 'spot on' and the 'ease of view' is as good as the 7x42's reputation boasts, however the 'crispness' is something else.

It is tac sharp in the centre as is to be expected, but there is something more to this binocular that I have not seen in my previous 4 models I have owned. Its that 'crispness' of the image that I have not seen in my previous models

Maybe its the coatings, they seem to be the last generation on this model, it has a very high serial number so it is probably one of the last models that came out of the factory

All I can say is that I was pleasantly surprised, firstly that it is as stated BNIB and more so pleasantly surprised that the view is also a revelation to me, someone who has spent many hours looking through heaps of top quality glass over the years.

Just thought I'd share my observations and experience

cheers
Peter

Peter

I've been looking for one of these too. Are your others the exact same specs of bgat p etc?....if so perhaps you've scored yourself a genuinely NOS model, which was one of the last made with the last coatings? Well scored regardless!

Rathaus

Peter

I've been looking for one of these too. Are your others the exact same specs of bgat p etc?....if so perhaps you've scored yourself a genuinely NOS model, which was one of the last made with the last coatings? Well scored regardless!

Rathaus

Thanks Rathaus, yes two of my other ones are the same specs bgat*p*. The other two are bgat* only.

Yes, I must say I am a very happy chappy, this one is a beauty.
My wife say's I have too many binoculars, however, what she doesn't understand is that these babies are my children's inheritance one day..lol

Peter

Hello Peter,

The 7x42 BGAT*P* is a classic. You are lucky to own either a "cherry" or latest and greatest version.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello Peter,

The 7x42 BGAT*P* is a classic. You are lucky to own either a "cherry" or latest and greatest version.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Thanks Arthur,

it is a truly lovely piece of glass indeed. A very natural look to the image and no eye stress, just a pleasure to view for extended periods..sometimes difficult to put down, especially in excellent light and surrounds

I must say, after reading some comments on these forums today, it sounds to me that quite a few of us are spoilt for choice, we have the "cherries" and the latest and greatest o:)

God Speed
Peter

Peter,

What did you pay for them? I'm using a 'cherry' version i think, bought in 1991! Still the epitiome of binocular design - don't think they'll ever be bettered, have noticed that considerably less used versions than mine are a lot brighter and crisper alright. They've put up with some abuse though. Reluctant to send them back to Zeiss for a service, i know somebody who did and they came back with lenses replaced the wrong way on one side!! Thinking of graduating to 8x SF's, a snip at 2300 euro here...

Peter,

What did you pay for them? I'm using a 'cherry' version i think, bought in 1991! Still the epitiome of binocular design - don't think they'll ever be bettered, have noticed that considerably less used versions than mine are a lot brighter and crisper alright. They've put up with some abuse though. Reluctant to send them back to Zeiss for a service, i know somebody who did and they came back with lenses replaced the wrong way on one side!! Thinking of graduating to 8x SF's, a snip at 2300 euro here...

2300 euro..ouch, thats a bit of money for the SF's, apparently a great bino though. I have the HT 8x42 and I could not be happier. I upgraded from a FL 8x42 and the jump in brightness is definitely noticeable...especially dusk/dawn..excellent!

As for the 7x42's they are exceptional. Brand new in box. They smell, feel and look awesome. I agree with you, I don't think they have been able to replicate them yet in a modern binocular.

The lead glass used in the older models has a particular 'look', it makes a landscape or subject come alive. It adds 'character' to the viewed image and makes the experience so much more enjoyable and desirable.

I paid just under $1100 for them, I suppose I was lucky as they have never been used. Even the lenses have never been cleaned.

There is a certain nostalgic feel you get from using 'old school' glass.

Hi ALL,

Is there any objective covers available for the Zeiss 7x42 BGATP?
I would love to see what others have used and what fits

thanks
Peter

OJ - the hard rubber covers by Zeiss are available for the 7x42 Dialyt. Zeiss US sent me one. Go on the net to find a Zeiss contact person handling accessories. The covers are identical to the ones coming with the 15x60 porro and 8x56 roof. Try 800-441-3005-8485 and ask for Donna Temple. She or another rep can refer you to someone. Perhaps there is a Zeiss Australia rep who can help you locate one.

John

OJ - the hard rubber covers by Zeiss are available for the 7x42 Dialyt. Zeiss US sent me one. Go on the net to find a Zeiss contact person handling accessories. The covers are identical to the ones coming with the 15x60 porro and 8x56 roof. Try 800-441-3005-8485 and ask for Donna Temple. She or another rep can refer you to someone. Perhaps there is a Zeiss Australia rep who can help you locate one.

John

ok,

thanks John

Hi Peter, congrats on your find, the 7x42 BGAT*P* is my favourite binocular to use, I much prefer it to my Victory FL, it is such a comfortable binocular to use, the colours really pop. For objective covers, I found that the objective covers made for the Leica Trinovid BA/BN 42mm fit ok, but also on surplusshed, you can buy green rubber objective covers made for I think the the Steiner 7x50 cheap as chips, they were 10 for 5 dollars I think, and if you just trim the tabs off they fit the 7x42 BGAT, or the Swaro 7x42 SLC perfect.

Hi Peter, congrats on your find, the 7x42 BGAT*P* is my favourite binocular to use, I much prefer it to my Victory FL, it is such a comfortable binocular to use, the colours really pop. For objective covers, I found that the objective covers made for the Leica Trinovid BA/BN 42mm fit ok, but also on surplusshed, you can buy green rubber objective covers made for I think the the Steiner 7x50 cheap as chips, they were 10 for 5 dollars I think, and if you just trim the tabs off they fit the 7x42 BGAT, or the Swaro 7x42 SLC perfect.

Great thanks,
I did my own research and I think I probably found the best alternative..

Zeiss 8x42 FL covers fit PERFECTLY and look Awesome, sporting the Zeiss name on the outside of the covers as well

Brilliant fit:t:

Great thanks,
I did my own research and I think I probably found the best alternative..

Zeiss 8x42 FL covers fit PERFECTLY and look Awesome, sporting the Zeiss name on the outside of the covers as well

Brilliant fit:t:

OJ and others

I just got mine in the mail today...thankfully a mint looking 7x42 t*p* ...in a beaten box in my stairwell, shipped via - the slow boat to China, the Silk Road and the Kaiber Pass. Clive of India Would have had it here in half the time.

It's raining with storms up here, but I can see instantly that these are stunning binoculars. I've got a 2608*** serial number. When year might that be?

So, what about the 10x40 equivalent? Which version to get?

Rathaus

Last edited:
So, what about the 10x40 equivalent? Which version to get?

Rathaus

Hello Rathaus,

The BGAT*P as phase coating makes a difference. The 10x40 ClassiC Dialyt was not made for me because of hand shaking. I bought one of the last made from Cabela's, about ten years, ago, but I returned it. Except for horizontal viewing, I simply could not manage it.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back