• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comparison of Zeiss 7x42 Classic and Nikon 8x32 SE (1 Viewer)

jaymoynihan

Corvus brachyrhynchos watcher
Got around this morning to directly comparing my trusty Zeiss 7x42 Classics (BGAT*P*)and my recently acquired Nikon 8x32 SE.
Subjective impressions, my eyes etc. Done outside (tree bark, a few birds, brick walls, numbers on signs) and inside (braided grass decoration on a gourd-bowl).

I should add, i am one of the fortunate eyeglass wearers that do not experience any "black-out" with the SE's.

Sharpness, detail, etc.:
Really too close to call. Mayyyybe a nod to the SE, but darn close, indoors and out.

Brightness:
Indoors, the SE, clearly. Assuming the laws of physics have not been repealed, must be something with the coatings?

Apparent abberation free field:
SE wins again, (on how much of each model's FOV appears abberation free, in use. did not measure then see which is bigger).

Hand balance/ergonomics:
Tie. I find both to have excellent hand balance. I find the Classic to be better for fast moving targets, swallow on the wing, etc.

Eye Relief/eye feel:
The SE wins on eye relief for me. But on the sheer gestalt of eye "feel" the Classic still wins.

So, which do i think is better
Do not know, but feel very lucky to have both.

jay

Jay,

I have also the proud owner of both these binoculars. Your comparative review is very interesting. If Amazon USA is still knocking the SEs out at around $450, they must the outstanding binocular bargain of the year. Presumably Nikon USA is keen to move them on in bulk. I wonder if they are still in production? I'll try and post a comparison myself in a couple of weeks on returning from a holiday.

Dave

Just back from a birding trip to Spain where I used my Nikon 8x32 SEs exclusively. I should say that I wear specs and do not suffer from the 'blackout problem' some find with the Nikons. (If you do, just try rolling back the eye-cup from its flattest position so there is the slightest projection from the eyepiece).

Prior to that trip, I grabbed my Zeiss 7x42 Classics more often than not. If you are in a low light context, the Classics have the upper hand (not suprisingly). I agree with Jay, the Classics are easier to get onto a bird and track it. The Nikon's are much lighter, easier on the neck (especially with an Optech strap) and ideal in a very hot climate such as Andalucia. But I agree with Jay's assertion that: 'on the sheer gestalt of eye "feel" the Classic still wins.' and ultimately that is why I prefer the Classics - but it is a very close call. The Nikon SEs are a remakable glass and worthy of serious comparison with any top flight roof prism bino.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back