• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brisbane without a car (1 Viewer)

JLS

Hi,

I´m going to study in Brisbane for 4 month (July to November) and I wondered if anyone could give me some tips for good birding sites/parks in the city reachable by public transportation? I´m going to live in Yeronga and I´m probaby going to get me a bike.
I´ve already read that the UQ lakes at St.Lucia should be pretty interesting, which is where I´ll be studying and I´ve also read about the Boondall Wetlands. What do you think would be the best month for the wetlands?
I´m grateful for any suggestions!

Cheers
Jan

Hi Jan, I've just done a couple of days birding around Brisbane (albeit by car) and there are many really good sites. I was particularly impressed with the Wynnum area (Sandy Camp Road and the Wynnum Wetlands & Mangrove Boardwalk). Also good are the lakes at Sandgate (Cotton Pygmy Goose, Magpie Goose etc) and Nudgee Beach.
For the other sites (Lake Samsonvale, D'Aguilar NP, Lockyer Valley) you're going to need a car I'm afraid. But get in touch with some of the guys on Birdingpal - there's a network of friendly birders who would be more than happy to take you out for the day.
Oh and check eBird for sites and sightings! It's very comprehensive and up-to-date.

Hope this helps,
Joost

As you're going to be in Brisbane for a long time, you must check out Lammington NP, which you can get to by bus, and camp there. Plenty of rain forest species :t:

Thank you for the suggestions! They definitely help :)
I´ll try to visit as many places as possible.

Mt Coot-ha is reachable by public bus. Lots of common birds, but you need probably visit several times to get Powerful Owl (I only heard it).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back