• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1st DSLR & Lens Help (1 Viewer)

croftonbirder

Hi

Im moving up from a bridge to a DSLR, I think I have settled on the D7200 however I'm stuck on my lens, I was looking at the sigma 150-600 C but now I've seen the Nikkor 200-500.

which would you choose? any why? and which would best compliment my choice of Body?

The 200-500 may just have the edge for sharpness but i wouldn't like to bet next month's pension on it,it would be close so i suggest you research it and get more than a few opinions

budget is £1500 gbp, here the d7200 is £700 and sigma lens is £700, nikkor lens is £1050.

Had a similar budget and settled on the same combination although did get the 150-600 lens as a kit with a 1.6x converter (not used the converter yet so can't comment on it). Only had the combination a short period of time but very pleased with it so far. Only downside is it's much heavier than my old micro 4/3rds gear it has replaced but I find it better in terms of image quality and ability to 'get the shot'.

Nick

I was in the same position of moving from a bridge camera to DSLR earlier this year. I went with the D7200 - an excellent camera, easy to use compared to some aspects of a bridge camera (e.g. two dials to adjust aperture / shutter speed) - I took advice on this forum not to go for less well-specified D3xxx or D5xxx cameras and made the right choice.
As far as lenses go, the 300mm f4 PF has been great for me coming from a bridge, insofar as it is light and sharp, way better for low light & BIF than a bridge - however it is over your budget. That said, either of your lens options will give you more reach than I've got, giving you the chance to get more of those 24 megapixels on the bird. In your position, if I was looking to differentiate between them I'd prioritise ease of acquiring focus over out and out sharpness - after all, it doesn't matter if your lens is tack sharp if you can't get the bird in focus quickly enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back