• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

upgrade ???? (1 Viewer)

shrek48

I have a Nikon D7200 & a Sigma 150-600 contemporary set up. I have always struggled with AF, hunting a bit, or just not focusing cleanly! I know some of it will be me, or having the wrong focal length, but the rest I just do not know! Would I benefit from getting maybe a D750 or 500, D3 ??? Sometimes I get it right and it is awesome, but most are out of focus!
What do you suggest please?Are the D750/500 or D3 superior AF ??
two of my better shots attached...
DSC_1967.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_1864.JPG
    DSC_1864.JPG
    9 MB · Views: 23
d500's AF would be better including more focus point, better low-light focus ability, but I think there are no new D500 bodies now. You can restrict focal range button on the lens and the AF would be quicker. If upgrading, you can have a look at mirrorless cameras, they can have a clear image in lower shutter speed. I think the second one is a little blurry might due to birds move or camera shake? Hunting is normal for this combination in low light, try some other focus mode in D7200 before turning to other bodies.

d500's AF would be better including more focus point, better low-light focus ability, but I think there are no new D500 bodies now. You can restrict focal range button on the lens and the AF would be quicker. If upgrading, you can have a look at mirrorless cameras, they can have a clear image in lower shutter speed. I think the second one is a little blurry might due to birds move or camera shake? Hunting is normal for this combination in low light, try some other focus mode in D7200 before turning to other bodies.
mirrorless would be too big of a send for what i do! and I like my DSLR, was thinking of an D850 found a few at reasonable prices or the D3/D$ would they also offer better/ faster AF ???

Last edited:
mirrorless would be too big of a send for what i do! and I like my DSLR, was thinking of an D850 found a few at reasonable prices or the D3/D$ would they also offer better/ faster AF ???
D850 or D500 have more pixel density which gives a better crop in postprocessing and they have the second best nikon DSLR focus system inherited from D5. D3S is too old I think.

I noticed that the shutter speed was 1/160 and 1/320 on the two images. You will have to use faster times when handholding a long lens like this. In other words, it is not likely the problem arises from AF failures.

Niels

I noticed that the shutter speed was 1/160 and 1/320 on the two images. You will have to use faster times when handholding a long lens like this. In other words, it is not likely the problem arises from AF failures.

Niels
I use Auto as I just not good enough nor quick enough anymore to mess with my settings ;-)

The D500 is an upgrade, I moved from D7200-D500, but it's not miraculous. You'll still have issues in low light. As Niels said your best bet is too increase shutter speed. I usually begin at 800 with this combo, I have the Tamron. Have a look at full manual and auto ISO. Search Steve Perry on youtube for instructions.

I have the same combination of body and lens. It works very well for me, I rarely shoot with a shutter speed less than 1/2000. I shoot in manual mode with auto ISO, so that I can choose the shutter speed and f stop and the camera chooses the best ISO. It is worth the time and effort to to get to grips with this before changing camera or lens.
The suggestion of looking at Steve Perry videos is good.

Tried manual with auto ISO today, much improved I think, I do like my exposure slightly darker!
That looks pretty well exposed to me. The white highlights are not blown. It looks like a difficult situation with wind,rain etc. You can adjust in post. It's not perfect, I get shots where I'm not happy with the exposure now and then also, but I've found it to be the best method for me. Exposure compensation is a valuable tool and I continue to learn how/when to use it.

I use Auto as I just not good enough nor quick enough anymore to mess with my settings ;-)
Some of your photos show that your current equipment is not the performance bottleneck, or has issues like front/backfocus or misalignments.
The ones that are in focus are taken with good, appropriate settings, the ones with insufficient settings are blurred (surrondings that are in the same focal plane and not moving are in focus, the subject moves a bit and is blurred).
Low light (and adding a TC adds to the problem) makes it hard for AF to lock. This is the only part where higher end bodies will do a bit better, but to get a sharp image the shutter speed must still be fast enough. Sufficiently fast shutter speeds (usually much shorter/faster than 1/1000s, better 1/2000s) are a must when using long lenses, as they show motion blur without mercy. Image stabilization doesn't compensate for such subject movement.
To get the required fast shutter speeds open up the aperture as much as you can and crank-up the ISO as needed to get there.

At this point spending money on a camera and/or lens with better specs will still not fix the underlying problem, "upgrading" know-how will.
This will take investment of some time and lots of practice, but on the upside it doesn't cost much money.
Youtube is full of "How to take sharper bird photos" videos.

Of course , you are absolutely right, I need to learn how to use what I have got, I was just hoping something "newer" etc might be more advanced and able to help me more. Trouble is being unwell & Disbaled I find it hard these days to retain new info, and also with my weakness and shake, bloody difficult to take a picture!
I am now in manual mode and trying! learning about the dotted scale bar in my view finder was a massive boost! -.......0.....+ getting this to zero using both wheels is getting slightly easier ;-) I understand thaat F stop = higehr the number smaller the hole = less light , also depth of field , if i am correct. and I like my backgrounds dark ish and blurry, so far I seem to be in F8 a lot ;-)
Fast shutter speed for darker days ?
Also I have decided if my health allows and I get out more this year then next year I will invest in something like a D500 and a Nikon 500mm PF with a TC as the lens is said to be very light !

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back