• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2015 (1 Viewer)

The Hawfinch and Bullfinch were seen at a place called Menut as far as I can make out although I cannot find it on any map. Anyone got any idea where it is, I want to go there!! Mike

Hi Dave. Many thanks, that's the one I came up with but it's nowhere near there! It's up near Lluc so I will hot-foot as soon as possible. The doc says I must only drive for twenty minutes maximum so I had better drive fast. Thanks for helping, I understand that the roost of Hawfinch may number up to 50 birds which is unheard of here. Mike

Hawfinch

Hi Mike, I am coming over for 5 days next week so if you can post any info as to where the Hawfinches are being spotted, I would be much appreciate it. Also any sites were Accentors are reported from.

Your report's a good read, Stew, very nicely presented.

Hope you get your strength back quickly Mike. There's nothing more frustrating than being willing but unable.

Hi Mike, I am coming over for 5 days next week so if you can post any info as to where the Hawfinches are being spotted, I would be much appreciate it. Also any sites were Accentors are reported from.

Hi Kevin

As I mentioned above, I believe they've been seen near El Centro Forestal de Menut (Escorca). Travelling by road from Pollensa towards Lluc there's a well singposted turning on the left (with a gateway) a few km before the turnoff for the monastery. Just before the forestry centre (gated) there are spaces where one can park on the side of the road without causing problems. The centre is officially as far as one can drive, even if the second gate is open. This leads to Binifaldo and on up to a water plant. Where exactly they are seen I can't say but, hopefully, Mike can get more detailed info from some of the local birders. It's a very large forested area with quite a lot of old Holm oaks so they could be hard to pin-point. It's an area used by walkers and has several well-marked trails.
Some have also been seen at Cals Reis, the turnoff for the road to Sa Calobra, further along the same road.
Alpine Accentors have been seen on the Puig des Galatxó, in the final stretch of the climb. Probably easier, but you will need patience - and luck, would be to try the area around the Albercutx tower.
Hope this helps. Have a great time.
Martin

Hello All,
I've already sent Mike a PM but I thought it more polite to share like everyone else. I'm visiting Mallorca from the 1st - 10th March based in Pollensa. I need some winter sun...hopefully? I've already picked up some great information from this thread and I'll be asking a few more (hopefully not too many) questions later. I'm just going through your excellent report Stuart, shame about the bad weather but you still saw some good stuff.

Cheers Alan Whitehead
http://duffbirder.blogspot.co.uk/

A few Barn swallows trickling through the south yesterday but not much migration yet. A couple of Red-rumped swallows, House martin and Sand martin were also seen. Mike

Having stumbled across some traps for catching small birds I am trying to find out what is legal and what is prohibited here in Mallorca. Presumably European law presides. I know it is legal to shoot thrushes but don't know much else. If anybody can help that would be great. Mike

Thanks Martin, it is a very large trapping area near Ses Salines, I will look into it and report to the locals who will take it further if necessary.
On a happier note, Hawfinches are also being seen near the farm at Son Real, great news. Mike

Hi Mike
I think I know the one.
Great about the Hawfinches. Son Real is a bit easier to access so hopefully more people can see them there.
Yesterday there were 14 Flamingoes and 2 Osprey at s'Albufera.
Martin

Last edited:
Had the staples out of my back today and it was the first time that I have walked without pain for over a year. I cannot describe the joy I felt. I celebrated by going to every birding hotspot on the way home. Not much about, Sandwich tern at Cala Gamba, a Common gull still at the port in Palma, three Ruff at Salobrar de Campos. A few House martins about. Mike

Had the staples out of my back today and it was the first time that I have walked without pain for over a year. I cannot describe the joy I felt. I celebrated by going to every birding hotspot on the way home. Not much about, Sandwich tern at Cala Gamba, a Common gull still at the port in Palma, three Ruff at Salobrar de Campos. A few House martins about. Mike

Great news Mike, must be wonderful! Now looking forward to being sustained by your posts until we're back in September.

Stew

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back