• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2015 (1 Viewer)

Hi guys, just returned after 5 days birding. Went to all recommended sites for Hawfinch and Accentors but dipped on both. Still very quiet. Highlights were 4 Sandwich terns feeding in Pollensa bay,17 Flamingoes and 2 Black tailed godwits at Albufera. Red Kite and Booted Eagle near Betlem and Kingfisher at Son Serra de Marina.

Hi Mike
I believe there were 17 chicks fledged in 2014 from 21 nests, 6 more than in 2013. A good upward trend.
Keith
Sorry that you missed out on the Hawfinch and Accentors. I guess in both cases one has to have a lot of luck to be in the right place at the right time. Still envious, though! Not sure when my next visit will be (hopefully next month but no firm plans).
Best wishes
Martin

Last edited:
Big numbers of Balearic shearwaters on the move. I have just seen about 150 flying south in only a short trip to the lighthouse in Porto Petro. Also a Kingfisher which is a good year tick. Nothing seen from the Albercutx tower yesterday but it really is very early, it's just that we are all so keen to see migration under way. It is all so exciting wondering what this year will bring which I was trying to explain to our caretaker here, he just scratched his head, shrugged his shoulders and walked off. If you are not a birder it must be hard to understand. Mike

A lovely 24 degrees in the sun here in the south so an hour spent at Porto Colom this morning was quite productive with many Thekla lark, Stonechat, Linnet, Sardinian warblers and 4 or 5 Balearic warblers, a real skulker and one of the main targets for visiting birders. Porto Colom seems to be one of the best places on the Island with displaying males on view which makes for a change, all you normally get is the tail disappearing into the scrub. They are never more than knee-high so always look beneath low bushes and you should connect. March and April on calm sunny days seem best and what a beautiful bird they are too. On the way up to the lighthouse keep turning left and you come up to the cliff tops, park on the frying pan by a run-down roundabout and follow the coastal path north, the birds are all around this area. Also a pair of Peregrine and a male Blue rock thrush. Mike

I forgot to say that there are hundreds of Black redstarts in every suitable location, quite an exceptional year for them as others have noted.

I'm just waiting for you to start seeing migration and then I can try and gauge when we should be getting our arrivals! Nice wee report, making me look forward to my summer holidays even more.

An Osprey was seen and photographed yesterday at s'Albufera that has a coloured leg-ring (Green 19). It had just arrived after a journey of 1500km.
Martin

Hello All,
Thought I'd share the highlights of my first two days...

First bird I saw on leaving our place was a surprise Sandwich Tern fishing in Pollenca bay! We then headed up into the Tramuntana mountains. First stop was Lluc Monastry. The hoped for Wrynecks never materialised but I got great views of Firecrests by the stream. Next stop was the viewpoint overlooking the Torrent de Paries. Took some time but eventually got amazing views of Black Vulture and 6 Griffons at eye level. As we were leaving a dark phase Booted Eagle descended into the valley. Great stuff!

Today I tried for the Egyptian Vultures above Arta. I gave it 4 hours in favourable conditions but no joy. I did see another dark phase Booted plus 4 Red Kites and a pair of Ravens. We finished off in the mountains with a visit to Ermita de Betlem where 2 more Firecrest were seen and a male Crossbill.

Earlier around Albefereta I'd managed to find a Spotless Starling inland from the C'an Cuarrassa restaurant plus a pair of fine Hoopoes feeding on the road in front of the car.

40 species seen so far...

The weather has been VERY kind (23c yesterday)...hope it lasts?

Thanks Alan, not a bad start but more to come for you I hope. I think it's due to rain tomorrow but you never know here. It's a bit early for the tower Alan so the marshy areas are probably best for things like Bluethroat, Red-rumped swallow and Little bittern. Good luck and keep in touch, well done for the Spotless starling, they used to be so difficult here. Mike

Thanks Kathy...

Depends on the weather!! The weather was horrendous today...never mind, I still managed to see some great birds...

The original plan was to visit Porto Colom for the Balearic Warbler but it became obvious as we passed through Manacor that it wasn't going to clear! I scored some points by taking Louise to Palma. On the way I managed a stop off at Bassa de Can Guidet reservoir near Son Ferriol. I was hoping to see Black-necked Grebe here and I wasn't disappointed as I reckon there were at least 30 present, some coming quite close, giving great 'scope views. The weather was still poor as we reached Palma but we enjoyed seeing the magnificent Catherdral...and the pair of Peregrines!

After lunch we headed north again hoping for better conditions. It wasn't to be! Louise had had enough and went back to our room. I decided to explore around the immediate area...mainly the Albufereta. Black Redstarts were in good numbers on the side roads to the north. As I crossed the Torrent de Albufereta an Osprey suddenly appeared fighting the now gale force wind.

Next I tried to find the "raised mound" which is apparently the best viewpoint over the reserve. As I parked my car I could see a small area of open water...and two Greater Flamingoes! Then 3 Stone Curlews flew over. Eventually, I found the viewpoint and also 2 pairs of Red-crested Pochard. No sign of any Great White Egrets however.

Species total: 62

I thought of you today and didn't reckon you would get out at all, it was a terrible day, so congrats on giving it a go. I hope it improves for you but a day in Palma is never a bad thing. I think the Great white was on the main reserve. No other news I'm afraid, no migration with this cold northerly. Mike

I went quite early to the Cap de ses Salines but nothing doing, it was only six degrees with a north wind having been about 23 the other day. I should have gone nearby, a group of Black-tailed godwits were on show at Salobrar de Campos, quite a scarce bird here. Mike

Hi Mike,
Have to get out...it's my holiday! Brief report today.

Went to Tucan Marsh first . No Scaup but at least 30 R.C.Pochards, a couple of House Martins and a Swallow.

Spent the rest of the day out of the wind at Albufera. What an awesome place...loved it! Connected with most of the specials including a fly-by G.W.Egret. I was surprised at the migrants I saw considering the gale force northerly...

25 Black-tailed Godwits
c5 Swallows
Sand Martin
male Garganey
c5 Blue-headed Wagtails

Also saw a Great crested Grebe and 4 Flamingoes amongst many other species. A great day!

Species total: 86

Today at Albufera

Hello!
I visited Albufera today, too. I counted 27 Black-tailed Godwits at Sa Roca, exactly at the eastern end, foraging in a kind of tidal-creek. Other new species for me in the area today have been 3 pairs of Wigeons and a Yellow Wagtail (subspecies "iberiae"). And the Osprey gave a great show again. From the Es Cibollar hide I saw besides the 4 Flamingoes and the Stilts, a Greenshank, a Redshank and 2 Spotted Redshanks. From Es Colombars I think, I had a Black-necked Grebe. But it wasn't wearing the breeding plumage. Shouldn't it these days? Also I was pleased about the great number of Swallows and Crag Martins hunting at low level. And a lot of Chiffchaffs started little hunting flights in the wind shadow of the scrub on the opposite bank of the pool.
So that was my first posting in your forum. I hope my English is good enough and my article is helpful to anyone. Regards, Lars

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back