• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (6 Viewers)

Sue,Many thanks for the Clouded Yellow report near Choseley Barns. Stopped on the bend today and saw plenty. Lots too at Titchwell together with Wall Browns.
Regards David

Sue,Many thanks for the Clouded Yellow report near Choseley Barns. Stopped on the bend today and saw plenty. Lots too at Titchwell together with Wall Browns.
Regards David

Hi David

When you saw 'lots' at Titchwell what sort of numbers are you talking about? There has been 3+ on the East Trail for a couple of weeks now and in my 10 years at the reserve, that would be lots.

Paul

Paul,Must have seen at least five/six.which is lots for me not having seen them in this quantity for some years. They even settled for photos.
David

Regards David

My pleasure David. I am glad you saw them. Seven is the most I have seen together in Norfolk at one site.

My son and I had 3 Wall Browns on a single plant at Burnham Overy yesterday.

Sue

Three Small Coppers seen around Felbrigg Hall today, two in the walled gardens and one near the lake. A single Painted Lady was in the garden as well, plus a Common Blue, and a smattering of Large/Small Whites, Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells, Red Admirals, Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns.

Clouded Yellow, many common blues,small coppers at Broadland business park yesterday -the clouded yellow was in rough grass near old hospital (old bowling green?).A few red admirals and painted ladies now appearing on buddelia in Thorpe.

White Admiral this afternoon at Drayton Drewray just North of Taverham. Definitely my latest ever by quite a long way. Anyone else seen them this late? Also about 10 Painted Lady this morning in Asda car park.

Last edited:
Chalkhill Blues still around at Warham, although many are looking a bit worn now. Brown Argus still evident as well, and a couple of Walls made an appearance.

Saw one Clouded Yellow flying around the railway tracks at Norwich Station.

100's of Grayling at Winterton North Dunes today along with plenty of Small Heath, Common Blue and Small Torts, plus Peacocks, Whites and single Painted Lady and Small Copper. Plenty of Silver Y's about too.

Can anyone identify the caterpillar please? Saw several of these.

Attachments

• DSCF4142.JPG
    DSCF4142.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF4138.JPG
    DSCF4138.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 60
plenty of the obligatory peacocks and small tortoiseshells at Pensthorpe on 25th with a few large whites and one male Brimstone in pristine condition.

Thanks for posting this, I'll have a look near the station tomorrow as I'd like to see one in Norwich.

It actually settled on the tracks, but I was inside a (stationery) train at the time, so no opportunity for a photo. The first one I've seen in the city all summer.

Where are the Brown Argus please, haven't seen any for ages?

Cheers,
Dave

There appeared to be a handful flying around at Warham Camp, but only positively identified a single, tiny and fresh looking Argus which settled for quite a while in the sun. Otherwise, it was Chalkhill Blues on the camp, plus Peacocks, Tortoiseshells, Walls, Whites and Commas in the path up to the road.

Last edited:
There appeared to be a handful flying around at Warham Camp, but only positively identified a single, tiny and fresh looking Argus which settled for quite a while in the sun. Otherwise, it was Chalkhill Blues on the camp, plus Peacocks, Tortoiseshells, Walls, Whites and Commas in the path up to the road.

Thanks, will try to get there for a look in the next couple of days.

Clouded yellow just in from the dunes at South Denes, Great Yarmouth this lunchtime while we were looking at a red-backed shrike. All good.

Attachments

• Picture 008a.jpg
    Picture 008a.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 74
Burnham Overy Dunes held plenty of Wall Brown today along with good numbers of Brown Argus, Common Blue, Small Heath and Grayling. Small Torts, Small Copper, Small and Large Whites, a few Meadow Brown and Peacocks, and a single Painted Lady also seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back