• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (8 Viewers)

I am going to Lakenheath on Friday would it be worth my while going to Strumpshaw Fen (or anywhere you can suggest) for Swallowtails or is it too late now?

Nice to meet you too Dave (yesterday).

Today's Clouded Yellow was in the car park by the sub-station when I arrived, doing a lap of the car park before unfortunately heading off over the grass and couldn't be relocated when Jim turned up.

Wall Brown

Had my first wall brown of the year today in the garden of the Manor House in Claxton. Was extremely surprised as so many reports are toward the coast, but extremely happy to see it nonetheless.

Nope, don't look to be. The queens hills site had a female reported there two months ago, so I'm assuming they bred on site. It's unlikely they are migrants in those sort of numbers and (for once) I can't find any for sale on the internet.
in general though migrant clouded are having their best year for a long time.

re swallowtail, it's not impossible to get a swallowtail at this time of year: but I wouldn't make a 100 mile round trip on the off chance personally. Unless anyone's been to strumpshaw recently?

Last edited:
Single clouded yellow whizzed S.W. across the reserve 10 minutes ago, near to the central hides (1235hrs).

And at 1400, Phil F showed me a photograph of a chalkhill blue which had just alighted briefly near the picnic benches - spreading out from Warham Greens perhaps?

Last edited:
I am going to Lakenheath on Friday would it be worth my while going to Strumpshaw Fen (or anywhere you can suggest) for Swallowtails or is it too late now?

At least 4 Swallowtails at Strumpshaw on Sunday on the buddlias just before Tower Hide. Swallowtail caterpillars also seen near the boardwalk

Clouded Yellow Influx

On the pager today - 15 at Landguard. Three were at Lopham Fen yesterday - and this afternoon, one flew down the middle of my own road in Long Stratton. Hoping to get a few more sightings of these lovely yellow beauties over the next couple of weeks.

I lucked in on another Clouded Yellow today while unsuccessfully looking for Willow Emerald at UEA. I picked it up over the lake as it flew towards me and watched it go above me and over the trees, giving my daughter time to see it too, though somehow my son missed it!!!

Chris

Add to that another single Clouded Yellow at Rockland behind the hide this afternoon. Tons of butterflies along the track at Rockland today, mainly small torts and peacocks but a wider variety also present.

As has been said some Swallowtails are still about at Strumpshaw, but by no means easy, a second brood should hopefully appear soon

Another clouded Yellow ( my second of the year ) at Norton , neat Haddiscoe. My friends budlia have been covered with peacocks the past few days , but today it was small tortoiseshells that dominated with up to 5 on a single budlia flower spke. Also my first painted lady of the year on the same group of budlia bushes.

My luck with Clouded Yellows continues - returning home from a shopping trip, I went to open the back door and one flew down the garden towards me, flying up over the conservatory and then the house! Having not seen one for several years, that's now 4 in 4 days!!!

Chanced upon a Clouded Yellow, just a couple if minutes from completing a circular walk of Kelling WM. It was on the public footpath that runs east from the house next to the 'carpark'.

A British first for me, having only seen them in Spain. Top stuff!!

Kieran

Queen's Hill

A nice walk around Queen's Hill today with no sign of any clouded yellow but a nice selection of other species.

All 3 whites, loads of peacocks, good number of small tortoiseshell, 3 painted lady, 1 red admiral, about 10 each common blue and brown argus, 1 small copper and 1 skipper (waiting to check photos to see if small or Essex).

Leisurely walk round Foxley Wood today produced 150+ Peacocks, a worn White Admiral, 2 Sm Skippers, Brimstone, 3 Whites, 2 Sm Coppers, 20 Com Blues, 2 Painted Ladies, Comma, 5 Sm Torts, 3 Speckled Woods + good nos. of tatty Gatekeepers & M Browns. Also plenty of Silver Y's & 2 presumed Barbut's Cuckoo-bees(?).

We have a herb tub in the garden in Gorleston and the Marjoram is in flower at the moment. Over the weekend there were Gatekeepers nectaring on it continuously, with up to four feeding there at a time. I have never seen any in the garden before this year.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back