• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comparing my entry level bins..what am I missing? (1 Viewer)

rjwims

Certified newbie
I inherited nikon action 7x35's (non-extreme) and just took delivery of Leopold Yosemite 6x30's and I have a couple of questions and comments before I decide which ones to keep.

1) The Nikons seem to focus up to 3 or 4 feet closer than the Yosemites. Is this normal...both are rated at around 16.4'??

2) The Nikons seeem to show more detail in low light (in the center only)

3) I have to press my eyes to the cups on the nikons, while the yosemites seem to work better when I don't.

4) I like the weight advantage and edge detail of the yosemites, but the focus wheel seems sloppy

Am I doing somthing wrong or is this how they are?

Thanks

Last edited:
Looks pretty much like the way it is between those two binoculars and your eyes. Nothing there indicates anything abnormal. I would have to say that on my Yosemites the focus is a bit sloppy. But look at the price. Personally, I'd pick the Yosemites on size and edge performance. That is pretty much what I see when I compare the two.

Close focus does seem to differ at that price range. My 6x Yosemite close focuses to 10', my 8x to 12'. I've never paid any attention to the Nikon close focus. I'd pay more attention to whether or not the diopter adjustment drifts off setting when you go from close focus to infinity and back.

Close focus does seem to differ at that price range. My 6x Yosemite close focuses to 10', my 8x to 12'. I've never paid any attention to the Nikon close focus. I'd pay more attention to whether or not the diopter adjustment drifts off setting when you go from close focus to infinity and back.

My Leupolds won't focus closer than 16'

is your note on the diopter referring to both sets?

Thanks

One of the first things I do with an inexpensive binocular is to see if the diopter changes setting if you run it from one end of the focus range to the other a couple of times. In inexpensive binoculars, this can be a problem. The diopters in both of my Yosemites stay put. I think Leupold does have that licked. Don't know about Nikon, but I suspect as long as the Action has been around, that issue is fixed there too.

If your Yosemite's focus at the specification distance, that is not a problem. I don't think there is anything abnormal that you are seeing.

Last edited:
I think the Yosemites impress peole at 6x, but no more at 8x so much. They should work OK. The Nikons you just need to get comfortable with. The eye cups, though adjustable in the EX version, are not the most comfortable screw out cups.

I think the Yosemites impress peole at 6x, but no more at 8x so much. They should work OK. The Nikons you just need to get comfortable with. The eye cups, though adjustable in the EX version, are not the most comfortable screw out cups.

My wife has gotten used to the non ex eyecups of the action, and almost there with liking the yosemites.

as beginners, it all takes time to get used to...:eek!:

How fussy can we be at this price level?

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the zen ed's.

The roof prisms will be a lot more pleasant in hand, though they may be slightly on the bigger end of 42mm models. But the optics more than make up for it.

Many feel the 8x32 models, various, are ideal for them for ergonomics and practical issues. But there is no Chinese ED 8x32.

The roof prisms will be a lot more pleasant in hand, though they may be slightly on the bigger end of 42mm models. But the optics more than make up for it.

Many feel the 8x32 models, various, are ideal for them for ergonomics and practical issues. But there is no Chinese ED 8x32.

How about the bushnell ultra hd's? Do you think that they will measure up?

Yes, the Bushnells have promise. But you actually never know whit Bushnell beforehand, their products are all over tha place. The 8x28 Excursion is very nice, the 10x28 is awful.

The Nikon Action has among the shortest eye relief of any binoculars I've ever tested. The Yosemite are several mm longer. The Nikon's are short even for people without glasses, that's why you have to jamb your eyes up tight.

edz

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back