• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two birds with one stone (1 Viewer)

I know, some will complain that 2x8 oz is not enough, but imo anything more than 2x might lead to too much tremor.

The prisms are going to get wet.

The alcohol will probably kill the fungus.

Does the alcohol improve the optical performance?

There are some rare water filled lenses that are very valuable now.
E.g. Sutton's water filled panoramic lens 1859. And others.

Also eyeglasses filled with water c. 2009?

P.S.
The ancient Romans and Greeks filled glass spheres with water to make lenses.
Not sure if they tried alcohol.

Last edited:
Hi,

didn't Leica also experiment with fluid filled binoculars?

No, wait, that was just the naughty guys at allbinos actually submerging some bins... afaik the optical perfomance of the water filled Leicas left some room for improvement...

Cheers,

Joachim

The fluid might increase the angle of view.

Vodka or Gin are probably best.
Absolut maybe.

Whisky, I have found gives a brownish cast :)

I mentioned the U.S. guy who sat at the bottom of his swimming pool and saw the Andromeda nebula more clearly as it got squashed lengthwise by the water refraction.

It would cost quite a bit to fill the pool with Vodka.

(I must admit to having knowledge of the subject, as the family were involved in the off licence business for a hundred years. But that closed over twenty years ago.
One of our bottlers fell into an enormous 3m high barrel of spirits and was just saved from drowning.
I did know how to bottle, label and place the corks in bottles as a youngster.
If you dropped a J. Walker bottle it broke, because of the square shape. Round bottles were stronger and usually bounced.
A champagne bottle cork went through our thick plate glass window on a very sunny day after the cork exploded off the top of the bottle.
Personally, I drank very little, seeing the effects it had on people.)

Last edited:
One of our bottlers fell into an enormous 3m high barrel of spirits and was just saved from drowning.

Did people come running for miles to assist in the rescue?;)

I looked up on t'Internet about those panoramic water-filled lenses you mentioned. Fascinating stuff. I can't find any reproductions of photos taken with them. Would they not have been a bit blurry? And yes, there was mention somewhere of Leica doing something similar in the 1990's!

I looked up on t'Internet about those panoramic water-filled lenses you mentioned. Fascinating stuff. I can't find any reproductions of photos taken with them. Would they not have been a bit blurry? And yes, there was mention somewhere of Leica doing something similar in the 1990's!

I am sure Joachim's reference to Leica was about the fact that the GV and UV binoculars failed a standard waterproofing test performed by Allbinos, and got a lot of water inside the tubes and the focusing system:

http://www.allbinos.com/18.12-binoculars_review-summary-Endurance_test_of_8x42_binoculars_Leica_Ultravid_8x42_HD_.html

Here is a picture of the GV showing, as Allbinos put it: the "miserable state the Leica was after we took it out of water"

Attachments

• 72458_lei_geo1.jpg
    72458_lei_geo1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 70
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back