• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon HG L, 8x32, Allbinos, Tests best. (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
For those that follow the Allbinos testing, may want to check out the latest
one they have fully tested. The Nikon has now tested first in their placings,
and ranked "above" the Leica 8x32 UV HD, and the Swaro. 8x32 EL.
No link here, but a search will get you into the Polish site.

I guess it seems nice they do show that these Nikons are at the top and
well admired.

Back in Dec. they said they are testing the new Swaro. SV. and the Nikon
EDG, but they seem to be slow for new tests on the 42MM.

Jerry

Here's the 8x32 list they have tested so far:
http://www.optyczne.pl/ranking_optyczne_pl-ranking_lornetek-8x32.html

They have just published test of 10x42 EDG, but that's also in Polish. The bino scored best result among all 10x42s tested. Here's the link:
http://www.optyczne.pl/215-Test_lornetki-Nikon_10x42_EDG.html

Macs:
Good to see your post, it seems the main Polish site Optyczne has tested
some models, like the EDG, but for those who wish to read it in English at
the Allbinos site, they are not posted yet. I suppose it takes time for the
translation.

Jerry

Google translate will translate it for you

http://translate.googleusercontent....G.html&usg=ALkJrhj7xG0B8yFRlK3oSuQl5shscgssJA

Summary

Zalety: Advantages:

* bardzo solidna i szczelna obudowa, very solid and watertight case,
* wysoka transmisja, high transmission,
* idealnie ostry obraz w całym polu widzenia, razor-sharp images throughout the entire field of view,
* świetnie korygowana aberracja chromatyczna, well-adjusted chromatic aberration
* bardzo mały astygmatyzm, very low astigmatism
* niewielka koma, slight coma,
* znikoma dystorsja, negligible distortion,
* małe pociemnienie obrazu na brzegu pola, small darkening the image on the edge of the field,
* ładne źrenice wyjściowe na czarnym tle, nice exit pupils on a black background,
* dobre odwzorowanie bieli, good representation of white,
* wzorowe wyczernienie wewnątrz tubusów, exemplary blackening inside the tubes,
* duży zakres rozstawu osi tubusów, wide range of wheelbases tubes,
* wysokiej klasy pryzmaty i powłoki. high-quality prisms and coatings.

Wady: Disadvantages:

* brak no

Slighly odd copy and paste includes the Polish ...

Something's funny about the light transmission measurements. They measure higher transmission for the 8x32 HG L than for the 10x42 EDG over most of the visible spectrum. How could that be?

Last edited:
For those that follow the Allbinos testing, may want to check out the latest
one they have fully tested. The Nikon has now tested first in their placings,
and ranked "above" the Leica 8x32 UV HD, and the Swaro. 8x32 EL.
No link here, but a search will get you into the Polish site.

I guess it seems nice they do show that these Nikons are at the top and
well admired.

Back in Dec. they said they are testing the new Swaro. SV. and the Nikon
EDG, but they seem to be slow for new tests on the 42MM.

Jerry

I'm not seeing what you are seeing, as it shows the HG L in 4th place.

I will give full credit to the EDG though, besting the 10 FL, nice job! I find [like Henry] the light trans. figures a bit dissapointing, as 88% would put it last of the alpha's in that regard....

Under the rankings, go to the 8x32, that is where to look for those tested. The
Nikon HGL scored 140.6, the Leica UVHD 138.5, and the Swaro. EL 135.3.

Note they have not tested some of the other 8x32's, as the Zeiss FL.

Up above it is pointed out that the main site, Optyczne, has tested others that are
not translated and placed on the Allbinos English site.

I hope that helps.

Jerry

I enjoy reading about all these rankings and comparisons, but when it comes to the alphas or other high grade stuff, I am beginning to believe that we are like judges at a beauty contest being ask to pick out the Helen of Troy in the group. Ravishing beauties such as Elizabeth Taylor, Lana Turner, Susan Hayward, etc., come and go. The stuff being made today is so outstanding, it makes one wonder how improvement can continue. Are we reaching the saturation point? John

I'm not seeing what you are seeing, as it shows the HG L in 4th place.

I will give full credit to the EDG though, besting the 10 FL, nice job! I find [like Henry] the light trans. figures a bit dissapointing, as 88% would put it last of the alpha's in that regard....

James:
You are right, the Optyczne site does have more of the 8x32's tested,
and the Nikon HG L, is in 4th. The Zeiss FL is placed first. That is about
all I can gather, is placings, as I do not read Polish.
The Allbinos site, just is incomplete.

Jerry

Wouldn't the very low distortion [pincushion] level in the EDG imply a high level of rolling ball?

If not, it would seem that Nikon has found the absolute sweet spot between edge sharpness and panning behaviour.

Wouldn't the very low distortion [pincushion] level in the EDG imply a high level of rolling ball?

If not, it would seem that Nikon has found the absolute sweet spot between edge sharpness and panning behaviour.

James:

I agree with you that Nikon may have found the sweet spot. I have read many of the reviews from Allbinos, and have not found any of their reviews
that did not post anything negative, about any binocular. The Nikon EDG with not a mention, has reached that, and now has placed on top in their 10x42 category, all
positive. The 10x42 EDG is very good. ;)

Jerry

Last edited:
James:

I agree with you that Nikon may have found the sweet spot. I have read many of the reviews from Allbinos, and have not found any of their reviews
that did not post anything negative, about any binocular. The Nikon EDG with not a mention, has reached that, and now has placed on top in their 10x42 category, all
positive. The 10x42 EDG is very good. ;)

Jerry

Wellll........there's always price.....;)

Something's funny about the light transmission measurements. They measure higher transmission for the 8x32 HG L than for the 10x42 EDG over most of the visible spectrum. How could that be?

That doesn't sound Kosher. According to Nikon's Website, the 8x32 "Premier" still has silver coatings, and one would assume that the AR coatings on the EDG's lenses transmit at least as much light as the HGL, which would give the EDG greater total light transmission.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Products/Binoculars/7534/Premier-8X32.html

The Allbino Boys also rated the 10x42 HGL higher in light transmission than the EDG @ 91+/- 3%. They described the light curve in the introduction to the review:

http://www.allbinos.com/153-binoculars_review-Nikon_HG_10x42_L_DCF.html

Even if their figures are correct, I could live with 2.5 percent less light transmission for the EDG's lack of "rolling ball," less CA, and better ergonomics than the 10x42 HGL.

Brock

My 10 x 32 EDG is clearly brighter in late twilight conditions to my eyes than my 10 x 32 LX L is. When comparing them I was able to see much more detail and coloration on Song Sparrows and Mourning Doves at distances of 75' +/-.

Nikon has also dropped the 10 x 32 from it's Premier Line.

Bob

Last edited:
One sample, questionable methods, suspicious results. LOUSY science in the age of the Internet!

Last edited:
That doesn't sound Kosher. According to Nikon's Website, the 8x32 "Premier" still has silver coatings, and one would assume that the AR coatings on the EDG's lenses transmit at least as much light as the HGL, which would give the EDG greater total light transmission.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Products/Binoculars/7534/Premier-8X32.html

The Allbino Boys also rated the 10x42 HGL higher in light transmission than the EDG @ 91+/- 3%. They described the light curve in the introduction to the review:

http://www.allbinos.com/153-binoculars_review-Nikon_HG_10x42_L_DCF.html

Even if their figures are correct, I could live with 2.5 percent less light transmission for the EDG's lack of "rolling ball," less CA, and better ergonomics than the 10x42 HGL.

Brock

The measurement of the 8x32 HG L is the one that's really suspicious. It's higher than Nikon's own transmission measurements in the binocular brochure at the Nikon website. The shape of the transmission curve looks reasonable, with a peak in the red and rapid roll-off in the blue, but it appears almost as if the plot has been incorrectly placed about 5% high on the chart.

The measurement of the 8x32 HG L is the one that's really suspicious. It's higher than Nikon's own transmission measurements in the binocular brochure at the Nikon website. The shape of the transmission curve looks reasonable, with a peak in the red and rapid roll-off in the blue, but it appears almost as if the plot has been incorrectly placed about 5% high on the chart.

According to Allbinos, there is only 2.4% difference in light transmission btwn the 8x32 FL and the 8x32 HGL. I've read that most people can't detect less than 3% difference in brightness, so that would make the HGL look almost as bright as the FL except for the most discerning observers.

That's assuming that their peak transmission curve for the HGL is correct, and from what you said above, it's higher than Nikon's. OTOH, there may be more going on than light transmission that makes the FL look brighter.

The light curves are also very revealing (even if the HGL's is bumped up a bit). It reflects what we were discussing on another thread where you posted two photos of spectra exposed for different lengths of time and asked which looked more color saturated.

Looking at the FL's light curve, the peak appears to be btwn 440 and 650nm, and then falls sharply at the red.

The HGL's light curve is highest btwn 600 and 700nm, emphasizing the other end of the spectrum.

This could explain why 8x32 FL owners report it looks brighter than any other 8x32s they've tried, but some also admit that the colors don't look as saturated as the HG/HGL or some other bins. It could also explain why 8x32 HG/HGL owners think it's the "bong" when it comes to color saturation. I certainly did.

Brock

Attachments

• zeiss_victory_light_transmission.jpg
    zeiss_victory_light_transmission.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 162
  • nikon_hg__light_transmission.jpg
    nikon_hg__light_transmission.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 179
The FL measurement looks off as well, about 5% higher than Zeiss' own spec at 550nm and higher than Albinos' measurements of FL models with AK prisms. Other Albinos light transmission measurements have seemed too high to me, like the Docter 8x56 which measured an impossible 100% at 570-580nm. Some binoculars seem about right or a little low. Anyway, not much point in comparing measurements unless you believe they're accurate.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back