• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My 40D has packed-up (1 Viewer)

Not that I can offer any advice but I think it is dreadfull ( being polite) that your camera has gone after only 13 months, just as a mater of interest how many pictures has it taken ? I was thinking of upgrading my 20D, now I might just stay as I am.

Roy I forgot to mention, When Fixation repaired my Nikon D70s it was out of warranty by a few weeks, They still carried out the work under warranty as in their words, the shutter should last longer than a year and 10K actuation's, I guess they took it up with Nikon on my behalf.

Not that I can offer any advice but I think it is dreadfull ( being polite) that your camera has gone after only 13 months, just as a mater of interest how many pictures has it taken ? I was thinking of upgrading my 20D, now I might just stay as I am.
I estimate about 10k of shots - I believe the 40D is rated for 100k.

Roy I forgot to mention, When Fixation repaired my Nikon D70s it was out of warranty by a few weeks, They still carried out the work under warranty as in their words, the shutter should last longer than a year and 10K actuation's, I guess they took it up with Nikon on my behalf.
That's interesting Steve, mine has also done about 10k

Estimated shutter life doesn't mean much, I know of cameras that have failed with less than 1000 shots, but also know of a 20D that managed ~500000 shots on one shutter.

I agree that as it's only just out of warranty it would be worth trying the retailer first. Though it might mean that it takes longer to get sorted...

Roy, |=(|

I'd send it in to Canon in Elstree and as others have suggested 10K clicks seems you were sold something unfit for purpose.

They will check it out and maybe 'at their discretion' make some contribution or fix it for free (and claim it as goodwill).

At least I believe they will contact you with a quote before starting any repair.

Jamie

Estimated shutter life doesn't mean much, I know of cameras that have failed with less than 1000 shots, but also know of a 20D that managed ~500000 shots on one shutter.

You're right. I think that a manufacturer's estimated life of 100,000 means that 50% will fail before and 50% after. It probably would look like a bell curve with some very short and long lives for a very few.

My 40D packed up after 3 months and the shutter assembly was replaced. Auto-focus still worked and photos could be taken but no information was available, no screen and no buttons worked Colchester Camera Repairs had it back to me in 5 days! it's been OK for the last 7 months - touch wood!

Estimated shutter life doesn't mean much, I know of cameras that have failed with less than 1000 shots, but also know of a 20D that managed ~500000 shots on one shutter..
What it means to me is that Canon have got QA problems or an inherent product problem ! quite a lot of shutters pack up even before the 12 months is up and I have even read of people going through two shutter within the first 12 months. Ok it might not mean much but that does not make it right.
I would suggest with most consumer products major failure after 13 months would not be tolerated, ie the 12 month warranty should not effect your statutory rights.

Last edited:
On a slightly different note, does anyone know if sending direct to Canon for repair would more expensive than someone like Fixation?

Why do you think it is the shutter Roy?
Hi Mark, when you turn off/on there is no error message and you can attempt to take a shot. when I depress the shutter button you can hear it attempting to fire the shutter but it gives up the ghost and fails to complete the shutter cycle. Today on odd occasions it has actually taken a shot but gives up when you try to take a second shot. It is almost as if the shutter gets stuck in mid cycle.

I became suspicious when the 40D has 2 fast modes 6.5 and 3 frames per second. I use the 6.5 frames mode sparingly just in case there are issues. Looks like you have got an excuse to upgrade to the 50D now Roy ;)

Lenmanns will post back FOC if you don't accept their quote.

Last edited:
I became suspicious when the 40D has 2 fast modes 6.5 and 3 frames per second. I use the 6.5 frames mode sparingly just in case there are issues.

I think that this is done because sometimes you really don't need 6.5fps but do want to shot continuously - there are similar high and low continuous shooting optins on the 1D's.

Roy,
I would send it to Canon, and I would expect them to fix it F.O.C, no camera should pack up in that time frame and only 10,000 activations, there is such a thing as "being up to the job" --- if it isn't then take it to the small claims court, I've done it with another company and it worked.

Tony

Hi Roy I had exactly the same problem with my 40D
Colchester Camera repair centre replaced the shutter assembly
and returned it in less than a week
Thankfully mine was within the guarantee period otherwise it would
have cost £140

Hi Roy I had exactly the same problem with my 40D
Colchester Camera repair centre replaced the shutter assembly
and returned it in less than a week
Thankfully mine was within the guarantee period otherwise it would
have cost £140
Hi Tony, I am just trying to work out if it is better to send to Canon in the hope that they may do it FOC or send it to some else who would almost certainly charge - trouble is if I send it to Canon and get charged it may cost more than.

Hi Mark, when you turn off/on there is no error message and you can attempt to take a shot. when I depress the shutter button you can hear it attempting to fire the shutter but it gives up the ghost and fails to complete the shutter cycle. Today on odd occasions it has actually taken a shot but gives up when you try to take a second shot. It is almost as if the shutter gets stuck in mid cycle.

Exact same symptons as I had - twice! A new shutter was needed - luckily whilst still under warranty. The new one has lasted the longest of the three.

The first time it happened taking the battery out for 20secs got me a few more frames but it soon packed in altogether.

A.J.Johnstone will examine it and send out an estimate but you still need to pay postage. They sent me one by mistake 12 months ago now which was around £150!

It´s really sad reading to experience how many people in here having had trouble with the shutter mechanism on Canon cameras (me too). Just wonder if Nkon owners do have the same issue?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back