• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My 40D has packed-up (5 Viewers)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Looks like my 40D has packed up. Getting the Error 99 coming up, tried different batteries a couple of different memory cards and three different lenses.
Can anyone recommended a place to send the Camera for repair and also will they give you an estimate without committing to the repair.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Roy

How long have you had the camera for? My first stop would be the supplier for a claim, even if it's over 12 months old, on the basis that cameras should last longer than a year!

Also leads to a previously posted question, never answered - does anyone bother to take out insurance of the "extended warranty" type (or any other insurance)?

Hi Roy

How long have you had the camera for? My first stop would be the supplier for a claim, even if it's over 12 months old, on the basis that cameras should last longer than a year!

Also leads to a previously posted question, never answered - does anyone bother to take out insurance of the "extended warranty" type (or any other insurance)?
Thanks for that Mark but I just need to know the best place to send for repair/estimate.
As far as taking out extended warranties, I never do this on any electrical items, even if this repair cost £500 I would still be thousands in over the years by not taking out ext.warranties.

Lehmanns have a good rep with canon gear, I hear. But their location may not be ideal. As for warranties, spent 70 for 2 years extra, had 2 repairs that would have cost double that. One thing to consider is the sale of goods act. If it can be proven that your problem is inherent, you've a six year claim period. Problem is proof.

Roy on my 300d and 350d the Err 99 code indicated a lens problem or a problem with the lens/camera connection.Why not try it with a different lens unless you already have of course.Just a thought.

Roy on my 300d and 350d the Err 99 code indicated a lens problem or a problem with the lens/camera connection.Why not try it with a different lens unless you already have of course.Just a thought.
Hi Mike, I have tried a couple of lenses with the same result - both lenses work OK on my 30D.

Looks like my 40D has packed up. Getting the Error 99 coming up, tried different batteries a couple of different memory cards and three different lenses.

:C most annoying - I hope you can get it sorted quickly.

In Canada it is virtually impossible to get an estimate for a specific repair from Canon, as they insist on looking it over.

I think a new shutter runs about $300Can if it turns out to be that.

Good luck.

Roy I sent mine to canon at Elstree and had it back in a week that was with shutter problem.
Chris B

Lehmanns have a good rep with canon gear, I hear. But their location may not be ideal. As for warranties, spent 70 for 2 years extra, had 2 repairs that would have cost double that. One thing to consider is the sale of goods act. If it can be proven that your problem is inherent, you've a six year claim period. Problem is proof.

Roy,Lehmanns are very good.They will send you a quote.Sorry to hear you are having probs,do you think it could have anything to do with using the stacked tc's? also if you phone Lehmanns,and have a chat over the phone,they may have an idea of the prob,and give you quote,thereand then,also they may advise if Canon are reponsible and it could only cost the postage.I have sent all my cams there for the free cleans,and they repaired my original 100-400.A very good company.

Roy,Lehmanns are very good.They will send you a quote.Sorry to hear you are having probs,do you think it could have anything to do with using the stacked tc's? also if you phone Lehmanns,and have a chat over the phone,they may have an idea of the prob,and give you quote,thereand then,also they may advise if Canon are reponsible and it could only cost the postage.I have sent all my cams there for the free cleans,and they repaired my original 100-400.A very good company.
Hi Christine, cannot think that stacking tc's has anything to do with it as that is manual focus only. Strange thing now is that the Af is working perfectly. I am almost sure it is the shutter mechanism that has gone. Just 6 weeks out of warranty - always the way :C

As my Canon 20D broke down with at shutter problem, I was in contact with a Canon Service center in Denmark. I was told to try this before sending in: Removing all batteries( incl. litle flat one) for a monent. Then insert batteries, select Auto mode (green) and turn the camera on. Unfortunately this didn´t help me, but this was the advice I was given before sending my 20D in. You can give it a try..

My 40D also gave me the dreaded Error 99, but this was about 3 weeks before its one-year purchase anniversary, so I had warranty coverage. I also tried the battery removal trick; no luck.

I paid one-way shipping, Canon replaced the shutter mechanism and had it back to me good as new in less than a week.

I am almost sure it is the shutter mechanism that has gone. Just 6 weeks out of warranty - always the way :C
Terrible news.

Warranties aren't the only protection one has. If it were mine, I'd be contacting the supplier and Canon and suggesting that a shutter failure after 13 months isn't acceptable for such an expensive piece of kit and that it must be due to an inherent fault.

The might tell you to foxtrot oscar, but they might do the repair for free. Worth a try to save a couple of hundered quid.

Terrible news.

Warranties aren't the only protection one has. If it were mine, I'd be contacting the supplier and Canon and suggesting that a shutter failure after 13 months isn't acceptable for such an expensive piece of kit and that it must be due to an inherent fault.

The might tell you to foxtrot oscar, but they might do the repair for free. Worth a try to save a couple of hundered quid.
Thanks for that Frank, I have given it a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back