• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My 40D has packed-up (7 Viewers)

I am so pleased that Canon have agreed to cover the cost of the repair. It has restored my faith in the company. I purchased a new 40D this week and this has made me feel much happier. Hope your camera is returned to you very soon.

Seems we're forgetting that it broke down only after 12 months in the first place though!

You'd almost think it had been programmed to fail just outside of the warranty. ;) Seriously though, good to hear it's all being sorted Roy.

this thread got me thinking... I don't know how or why it would be connected but I do wonder if using a taped (or non-reporting) tc and forcing the camera to work when it's not designed to is causing some problems. As well as Roy I can think of five other Canon shutters that I know have failed all of which have seen regular use with a long lens and taped tc... like I say I can't think why it would be connected but it does make me wonder.

this thread got me thinking... I don't know how or why it would be connected but I do wonder if using a taped (or non-reporting) tc and forcing the camera to work when it's not designed to is causing some problems. As well as Roy I can think of five other Canon shutters that I know have failed all of which have seen regular use with a long lens and taped tc... like I say I can't think why it would be connected but it does make me wonder.

The same thought crossed my mind a while ago.

It doesn't hold true with my experiences though as when I had problems I rarely used a converter but since the last repair I've used the 1.5x loads of times and no problems have occured - touch wood!

I have a converter Peter - but I only used it a couple of times with the 40d; as I have said my 40d did not completely pack up but the focussing was always a problem - that I never experienced with the 20d - and I hope will not, with the 50d

As well as Roy I can think of five other Canon shutters that I know have failed all of which have seen regular use with a long lens and taped tc...
It may just be the circles that we move in. Given that we're into bird photography and know other bird photographers it is more likely that we know people who use long lenses and taped TCs? But it is an interesting question.

The same thought crossed my mind a while ago.

It doesn't hold true with my experiences though as when I had problems I rarely used a converter but since the last repair I've used the 1.5x loads of times and no problems have occured - touch wood!

A recurring nightmare, I agree ... I mainly (well, almost always ... ;)) use a taped TC and had two shutter failures on my 20D .. should it be connected?
I sincerely think not, the most noticeable feature when using a taped TC is focus hunting: in this case the main stress is applied to the lens, not to the camera ... am I wrong?
Cheers,
Max

I cannot see the logic in this, a taped tc could effect the AF but why should it effect the shutter?. Even though my shutter went the AF was still working perfectly (even with a tc attached).
I used both my 350D and 30D extensively with a taped tc and nothing went wrong with those cameras!. Also I have read on other forums of 40D shutter failures on Cameras that were never used with telephoto lenses let alone taped tc's. In fact I have used a taped tc far less on the 40D than I had with both my 350D and 30D
The only reason why Canon stop AF at greater than f5.6 on these cameras is because the AF system is not good enough so therefore rather than have a lot of criticism of their AF sytem they cap it at a level they know will work fine.
I would have thought that if the f5.6 cap was deactivated the Camera could be used to attempt AF at any 'f' value without detriment to the Camera - of course AF ability at f8 would be poor and f11 or greater would be utter c##p

Most peoples concern about taping tc's is that the lens hunts for focus at times and this could burn out the focusing motor - I have heard this loads of times but never seen a single post on any forum where this has actually happened, I did see a post from a 'boffin' once who stated that burning out a focusing motor was impossible.

I think a more logical argument for shutter failure could be using the Camera for high burst shooting (6.5 fps) on a frequent basis as this would be directly linked to the shutter. In my case I rarely shoot long burst so I doubt if that is a contributory factor.

The shutter mechanism is a relatively cheap part of the Camera (around £30) and my guess is that some 40D shutter are failing because of something simple thing like a weak spring.

Last edited:
I cannot see the logic in this, a taped tc could effect the AF but why should it effect the shutter?. Even though my shutter went the AF was still working perfectly (even with a tc attached).
I used both my 350D and 30D extensively with a taped tc and nothing went wrong with those cameras!. Also I have read on other forums of 40D shutter failures on Cameras that were never used with telephoto lenses let alone taped tc's.

Don't get me wrong I can't see any logical connection between the use of a taped tc and shutter failure. I just noticed that there was a connection in a few cases that I know of. I'm certainly not suggesting that using a taped tc will lead to shutter failure, just wondering if it may be connected (clearly Canon wouldn't know as I'm sure noone wanting to get it fixed under warranty would mention using it in this was as it may give Canon a positon to argue against fixing it FOC). I know that shutters (like anything else) can just fail, and I certainly hope that there isn't a connection.

The shutter mechanism is a relatively cheap part of the Camera (around £30)

This detail got me thinking :smoke:... what is the average cost for a new shutter? I know how much I have paid for, and I'm quite sure it doesn't take may hours to substitute it ...:C :-O

This detail got me thinking :smoke:... what is the average cost for a new shutter? I know how much I have paid for, and I'm quite sure it doesn't take may hours to substitute it ...:C :-O
Labour + Vat + Postage is what bumps up the cost Max, total of around £190-£200

That good news Roy.I think most shutter failures on the 40D are linked to being used at 6 frames a second.

.I think most shutter failures on the 40D are linked to being used at 6 frames a second.
You could be right 'Ragna' but although I almost always shoot in High burst mode I very rarely shoot more than a couple of shots at a time - the number of times I have shot a burst of 6+ shots could be counted on one hand.

If the shutter has a dodgy component like a weak spring, then shooting big bursts might hasten the failure but it would not be the cause as the Camera is rated to shot at 6.5 fps.

There is a widespread issue with buying goods however it's quite a simple one to deal with and it will be dealt with somewhere in the Sale of Goods Act. Retailers do not offer a 12 month guarantee on the goods they sell, it is only the manufacturers guarantee that you are given when you purchase said goods. However, as somebody has previously stated, the retailer has a responsibility for up to 6 years. It may involve getting Trading Standards involved but an issue such as this would be resolved in favour of the consumer as long as neglect, misuse or abuse weren't the cause.

As an example, say you bought a compact digital camera made by Cheap 'n' Nasty Inc for £30 and used it fairly regularly but it failed 6 weeks after the expiry of the 12 month guarantee could you reasonably say that you had got your money's worth out of it?

Compare this with Roy's camera, a high-end consumer model from a renowned maufacturer purchased at the price of several hundred pounds which presumably has not completed close to 100,000 actuations. What you need to look at is the cost of the goods. It is quite reasonable to expect this camera to last for 3 years or more under reasonable usage, providing it has not been neglected, etc.

This is the retailer's responsibility, i.e. to sell goods fit for purpose and for the quality and durability of the goods to reflect the price that is paid. It is reasonable for the retailer to ask to see proof of purchase so keep your receipt.

I suspect from what people have said about Fixation repairing this issue FOC that they have a relationship with Canon such that they can approach the manufacturer in such cases and recover their costs from them.

I also suspect that achieving 100,000 actuations in a few days would not be considered reasonable use.

There are more considerations such as you have no right to a refund, repair being an appropriate remedy. The retailer can request that an engineer's report be sought to verify the condition of the goods, i.e. neglect etc, but that is the general gist.

I think Roy was well within his rights to ask for a FOC repair given the circumstances.

Bhoggy, I would beg to differ, you have every right to a refund under the Sale of Goods Act. I believe that if you accept a repair then you forsake your rights to a refund.
Probably wrong, just my opinion.

Sorry John I should have been clearer, after a reasonable period of time it is deemed that the purchaser has accepted the goods as being fit for purpose and there is no right to a refund where repair is a viable option. This 'reasonable period of time' is a grey area, but 28 days can be taken as a rule of thumb guide. Whether the retailer gives a refund depends on whether the retailer wants an irate customer shouting at him or not. It also depends on the goods and individual retailer.

I once bought a pc which became faulty 2 months later. I only got a replacement because I had visited the store twice to find out what I should do and was advised on both occasions that I should bring it back. When I did this I was then told that I had to log a home visit from an engineer. I explained that I had already visited twice and not only followed their instructions but had damaged a new coat in doing so and wanted to speak to the Manager. The member of staff went off and came back and said the manager had said I could have a new one. The manager had conducted the whole situation without ever appearing and bottled it when I asked to speak to him directly. Don't get me wrong, I am a retail manager and I would not deal with a member of the public like this, but I did check with Trading Standards afterwards to see what they had to say and they backed the retailer.

There are situations where refunds can be sought, e.g. you have 5 cameras go faulty in say 2 months.

And to be clear on the being irate bit, no matter how young, spotty and useless that shop assistant is, abusing him/her is not right. Forceful but polite is the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back