• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 birds in Rouen, France (3 Viewers)

Clibanarii

Starting to learn about birds in Europe...
These 3 species were photographed in July in Rouen, France..
thank you / merci d'avance

Attachments

• a (1).JPG
    a (1).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 157
  • c (2).JPG
    c (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 149
  • c (1).JPG
    c (1).JPG
    987.8 KB · Views: 118
  • b (3).JPG
    b (3).JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 108
  • b (2).JPG
    b (2).JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 106
  • b (1).JPG
    b (1).JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 137
  • a (2).JPG
    a (2).JPG
    964 KB · Views: 155
Hello,
the Swallow is a House Martin. White throat, mealy white underside and lack of tailstreamers excludes similar other common species.
Last one is a Black Redstart. Please note red tail (hence the name), coalblack plumage and habitat ( species originates from cliff, rocky, mountain habitats that has habituated to human habitats).

Most difficult bird for me is the first: is either a Comon Chiffchaff or a Garden warbler.
If forced I would opt for a Garden Warbler:
  • It's quite rare, but regular for a Chiffchaff to lack any greeenish, olive or yelowish hues in worn summer plumage. But god for Garden Warbler.
  • Strong legs seems better for a Garden Warbler
  • Same with the appearant strong deep based bill (nearly triangular) bill
  • The head pattern with a twinkling eye impression is more regular in Garden Warbler than in Chiffchaff.
But I hope it has become clear, why these features don't exclude a Chiffchaff with confidence. It's just my gut feeling, that your bird is a Garden Warbler.
I hope for more pictures and comments.

a. I can't remember seeing a Chiffchaff on a flat surface like this... maybe Garden Warbler.
I've never seen Garden Warblers on flat surfaces!! ( ;-) ) I've seen 2 nominate Chiffchaff this year - both were hopping about on the ground, and one even sat perched on an empty pallet. EDIT: 3 - I forgot the the other one was on a low wall, then a picnic table, then the top of a portaloo lol. I have yet to see a normal Chiffchaff in a bush or tree yet this year! (A single tristis was in the treetops)

Admittedly a different season. (I'm not saying the current bird is a Chiffchaff)

Last edited:
I've never seen Garden Warblers on flat surfaces!! ( ;-) ) I've seen 2 nominate Chiffchaff this year - both were hopping about on the ground, and one even sat perched on an empty pallet.

Admittedly a different season. (I'm not saying the current bird is a Chiffchaff)

If you say so...
( ;-) ) ( ;-) )( ;-) )

So I'm using Merlin for d it's saying Common Chiffchaff, for the same time and location ... can you confirm please?
for e, any idea what these 4 are?

Attachments

• d.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 25
  • e_1.JPG
    e_1.JPG
    687 KB · Views: 51
  • e_2.JPG
    e_2.JPG
    370.8 KB · Views: 50
  • e_3.JPG
    e_3.JPG
    691.7 KB · Views: 49
  • e_4.JPG
    e_4.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
So I'm using Merlin for d it's saying Common Chiffchaff, for the same time and location ... can you confirm please?
for e, any idea what these 4 are?

That's the problem with AI you still need to check everything... even if it has become incredibly efficient with good pictures, in some conditions you get very weird results!

For e. either a Linnet or a Goldfinch on the right, not sure they are all the same species...

Hello,

agree with all, all 4 birds in (e) are Linnets imo.
Taking all pictures together, please note
  • the right chestnut upperparts
  • warm peachybuff underparts, seemingly following the shape of the breast-muscles and leaving the central belly white
  • contrasting grey head with the right face impression in the left and right bird (picture 3, just guessable in the other birds too)
  • much white in the tailsides, judgeable with enough confidence imo because oft multiple pictures
similar coloured Penduline Tit nearly lacks white in the tail and is very rare in C and NE France

Users who are viewing this thread

Back