• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x30ish bins and stray light? (1 Viewer)

jremmons

Wildlife Biologist
Are there any binoculars out there in the 8x30ish range that handle stray light well? I've been disappointed with the Leupold Golden Ring, Zeiss Victory FL, and Swarovision 8x32s I've owned in this regard, and have found similar reports in bins such as the Zeiss Conquest HD. I'd like to buy a pair of nice, lighter weight bins for my girlfriend and my 'secondary' bins, but glare/flare, to my eyes, can completely ruin an otherwise perfect image.

Justin

Hi Justin,

I had serious issues with the SV, best I`v ever owned was the Nikon SE, my Meopta B1 is pretty decent if a porro is out.

John.

Hello Justin,

Leicas in general have a very good reputation for suppressing stray light. I would write the old Leica 8x32 BN does a better job than the newer Zeiss FL. Would the addition of lens hoods like the Bushwackers improve your current binoculars? Do you wear a hat when you use a binocular? A baseball or yachting cap can be moved to shade the binocular's objectives.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Why aren't lens hoods routinely provided for mid and above priced bins - apart from money & profits?

I am trialling a DIY system on one set of bins. Am awaiting delivery of a bought set for better information.

Hi Justin,

I had serious issues with the SV, best I`v ever owned was the Nikon SE, my Meopta B1 is pretty decent if a porro is out.

John.

The SE was good in this regard, I agree; I ultimately sold it due to it being cumbersome in the field for my purposes (maybe just a psychological thing, but I felt I had to baby it due to its qualities as a porro).
I've not gotten much time with the 8x32 Meostar but I'll take another look at it when I'm next in Cabela's; I don't remember if it had sufficient eye-relief.

Arthur: I'm looking for a new purchase to replace a pair of 8x42s.

Dennis: I've owned the older 8x42 Leupold BX-3, but not gotten a chance to look at the newest. I'll similarly give them a look when I'm next at Cabela's.

The Conquest HD 8x32 is good if one masks off the bottom 4.5mm of both objectives. A straight horizontal mask.
It becomes an 8x30 Conquest HD.

Otherwise not very good for stray light.

Dennis: I've owned the older 8x42 Leupold BX-3, but not gotten a chance to look at the newest. I'll similarly give them a look when I'm next at Cabela's.

Justin,

Dennis's Mojave BX-3 8x32 recommendation is Spot-On! These have been discontinued since January and as far as I could find, Cabelas is closing out the old Leupold stock. I've owned and used the nice BX-3 8X42 and 10X42's in the past. IMO, these 8X32's (owned for 3 years) are really in another optical league of all other BX-3's (superior sharpness, color fidelity, clarity, flare and CA control, ease of use) and believe Leupold is messing up dropping this particular 8X32 product. Seems they are heading to an all HD glass BX-4 line-up, trying to keep up with the "ED" competition!

My local Cabelas sold out of their stock 6 weeks ago. I ordered on line a back-up pair, as I don't trust the upcoming BX-4 replacement will be any better. On excursions, my wife uses the EL 8x32 SV's. I'm perfectly happy with the "Much Cheaper" Mojave BX-3 8x32's, they are That Good!

Of course, YMMV! :t:

Ted

Adding to the recommendation by Dennis, it appears the Cabela's branded Guide is the same binocular as the Leupold other than the external armor styling and the badging. The 8X32 Guide is on sale right now for $149.99. That may be a closeout price.

Justin, I have not had any glare issues but have not used it a lot yet. The view is way above the current sale price and would be worth checking out when you are at Cabela's. I agree with Ted that the 8X32 is a better binocular than the 42mm version.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...edium=AFF&utm_source=41227&rid=12&WT.tsrc=AFF

Here is a thread on it ........

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=332112

Justin,

FYI, the Cabela's page for the Leupold Mojave BX-3 8X32 has "incorrect specs". Their FOV Is 420' at 1000yds and has a length of 5.4", all same as the Cabela's Guide Series 8x32 listing! :t:

Ted

Hey Justin...

I just don't have THAT much of an issue with this and 8X32s. I may see some SOMETIMES , but certainly not in a prohibitive way.

I like the idea of the lens hood/baseball cap. I wear some kind of a cap most of the time out birding so.....

I know you have had the SV 8X32 lately. HAHA. I'm thinking you may be spoiled with anything else 32mmish optically.

The most GLARE-FREE binocular I have is the EDG 8X42. Just wondering if the same attributes wound't trickle down to the 8X32?

Chuck,

Yeah, I've owned a lot of good optics between both top model Swaros and top model Zeiss, along with several of the upper-mid range, but I'm not really the overly picky type so long as they are very good in a few key categories.

The EDG is probably the perfect option as an 8x32 for my preferences, but it is out of the budget of what I plan to spend. How is the 8x42 Monarch HG in this regard? It is as light as some of the 8x32s, or close to it.

Justin

8x32 roofs seems to be somewhat difficult. Porros like the Nikon 8x32 SE are much better, the only exception being the Habicht 8x30 which is pretty bad. Among the roofs, even the Zeiss 8x32 FL and the Swaro 8x32 SV aren't really *that* good. The Conquest 8x32 HD is also pretty mediocre. Don't know the EDG 8x32.

I'd probably look at the new Leica Trinovid 8x32. Leica bins have always been better than average with regard to stray light suppression. Even my rather ancient Leica 8x32 BA is pretty good compared to, say, the Swaro or the Conquest.

Hermann

Chuck,

Yeah, I've owned a lot of good optics between both top model Swaros and top model Zeiss, along with several of the upper-mid range, but I'm not really the overly picky type so long as they are very good in a few key categories.

The EDG is probably the perfect option as an 8x32 for my preferences, but it is out of the budget of what I plan to spend. How is the 8x42 Monarch HG in this regard? It is as light as some of the 8x32s, or close to it.

Justin

Justin:

The Nikon SE 8x32 is probably one of the best binoculars in many ways,
and since you have had one, you know that. I know it trumps the 8x32
EDG, in glare light handling, I have carefully compared them, so not
your best choice.

The Cabelas Guide Series on sale, is a very nice binocular, for girlfriend
I would get one of these.

Jerry

Chuck,

Justin

Justin:

The Nikon SE 8x32 is one of the best binoculars in many ways,
and since you have had one, you know that. I know it trumps the 8x32
EDG, in glare light handling, I have carefully compared them, so not
your best choice.

The Cabelas Guide Series on sale, is a very nice binocular, for girlfriend
I would get one of these.

Jerry

The Leupold/Cabelas guide 8x32 & the Cabelas Euro HD 8x32 both best the 8x32 SV in handling stray light in my experience. I was sufficiently dissapointed in the SV's in that regard. So much so that I returned them. Hell of a deal on those guides right now.

Chuck,

Justin

Monarch HG- Earlier in the year I compared the Maven B.1 and Leica Trinovid HD 8X42 to the MHG. When I would notice a slight glare issue, I would pick up the MHG. Every time I did this the MHG fared better.

My 8X42 MGH weights 24.5 ounces with objective covers and RYO harness clips. My SV 8X32 weighs 21.5 ounces with objective covers and harness clips. I just took a pic with my iPhone so you can see the size difference...not MUCH!

Attachments

• IMG_3814.jpg
    IMG_3814.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back