• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An orchid and a broomrape from Provence (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

I'm fairly sure that the orchid is Late Spider, but I am aware that Ophrys orchids in Europe are rather harder than the UK so confirmation would be appreciated. I haven't really got much of a clue with the broomrape. Any help appreciated,

Attachments

• 6broomrape2 (2).jpg
    6broomrape2 (2).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 6Ophrys.jpg
    6Ophrys.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 20
Could you give the dates, please? Thanks.
1. iNat's only (credible) suggestion is ivy broomrape - though ivy broomrape as I know it is always knee-deep in ivy. Any ivy adjacent? or other obvious candidate host-plant? - all I can identify here is legumes, grass and a thistle.
2. Late spider orchid looks a good bet - or maybe woodcock orchid. I can't see that anything else is in the frame.

2 June for both. I'm afraid I cannot remember if there was any ivy around. I'm afraid I didn't think to photograph the leaves for the orchid. Woodcock orchid was the other possibility that I though of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back