• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beginner compact Binoculars advice - Nikon / Opticron / Minox (2 Viewers)

Has anyone had the chance to test and compare any of the models?
I compared the Vortex Diamondback (pre-HD version) 10x42, to a Leupold Yosemite 10x30 (the Luepold Yosemite are the same as the Kowa YF). The Diamondback won hands down, as it should, being a more expensive binocular. However, my review may not be that applicable to you, seeing as I compared previous generations of the binoculars in different sizes.

From the binoculars on your list, I would take the Diamondback over any of the others. Better yet, buy a good used binocular.

Already done by Kowa

Edit: "finally done by Kowa" :p
The plot thickens here... ;) #suspense

I've just bought a set of 6x30 YF II for my daughter, and had high expectations about the case, and to see what Kowa was able to achieve. To be honest, I've been a little underwhelmed. Yes, Kowa has made some tweaks, and the case now seems to be of higher quality than the one that came with my original YF. Now the case is taller, almost has a perfectly square shape. However, I don't think it's meant to carry the binoculars crosswise, but in the most traditional and regular way. As a matter of fact, if you put the Kowa standing on its side, it protrudes, and it is more difficult to close the flap safely. The case of the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 is a little slimmer (in fact, you just can't fit the Kowa on its natural "flat" position), so the only way to carry a porro is crosswise. I still prefer it, the materials seem more rugged than the Kowa, even after several years of tough service. Anyway, good for Kowa to improve the case. However, after a brief test, I think that if they've done anything on the YF II to improve the optical/mechanical performance over the YF it's really minor. I don't have my 6x30 YF here, I gave it to my mum, but I'll try to do a test soon. Anyway, even at its increased price (I've payed around 15-20 € more than for the YF 4 years ago), I still think it's a mind-blowing performer for the price. The ergonomics are just perfect for me, it weights next to nothing and despite the plastic body it offers a good sense of quality (that I can confirm after seeing the minimal wear of the YF after years of use). Great little green gem.

KowaYFII630Case.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back