• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best binos for preteen boys, under $200? (1 Viewer)

Aotus

United States
I would really like to get a couple pair of binos for my nephews.

I ordered a pair of Nikon action ex porros, thinking the 7x35 with a wide field of view was a bargain for about $100. Well, it is, but I don't think they could wrap their hands around these gigantic things even if I could talk them in to lugging around that much weight around their necks on a hike.

That was a fail.

Now I'm considering the Nikon Prostaff 7s 8x30 for it's size and reasonable price.... maybe even Prostaff 3s 8x42, since they're cheaper still, lightweight and have a wider field of view.

I was hoping others might have other, maybe even better, ideas about a lightweight, compact but easy to use, binos for under $200usd.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
On her recent 2-week visit with us I tried out several pairs of binoculars on my 11 year old granddaughter. She selected "Aurosports 10x25 Binoculars for Adults and Kids," which I bought from Amazon, clearly because of the size and weight. At that age binoculars are essentially toys, although in this case she did show interest in looking at birds and other objects. To prevent fighting I had an identical pair sent to her 8 year old sister. Overall, I'd say they are a decent introduction to binoculars, and it's very hard to argue with a price tag of $19.99.

Ed

Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32. Typically retails for $190. I don't recommend the 8x28 version due to it's narrow field of view.
This is probably good advice. I’ve never looked through them but based on spec and reputation they are probably a winner. The prostaffs are too, but the FOV is tight

Same application, though 1 is younger @ 7. Anybody have any experience with the Opticron Savanna RPC 8x33 @ $150, said to have IPD for young folks??

Stateside this model is often recommended :
The Pentax Papilio would be an excellent choice for youngsters with its close focus ability but the 56mm minimum IPD might be an issue.
Bought the Papilios for our grandchildren aged 7 & 10 for Christmas. Afaik they are getting on fine with them.

Chris

I bought a pair of Vortex Crossfire 8x42 to keep in the car. They’re light but sturdy, and surprisingly close in clarity to my Swarovski 8x42. About $140 USD.

These Kowas may be an option:
Kowa YF 8x30
My son (5 yo) has got the 6x30s. They're good value for money and fairly lightweight (at least compared to the 7x35 Nikons.)
These look like they would be great fun for my niece (turning 8) - I had my doubts after finding that the nikon porros are so much bigger and heavier than I expected, but knowing you have a 5yo who can use these brought me back to them. thanks for the tip!

thanks for the recommendations - not one of these was known to me previously. I'd like to get the Vortex Diamond 8x32 HD for the boys, though hoping there will be a sale or discount code before I do. I have just ordered the Kowa YF II for my niece. Thanks!

These look like they would be great fun for my niece (turning 8) - I had my doubts after finding that the nikon porros are so much bigger and heavier than I expected, but knowing you have a 5yo who can use these brought me back to them. thanks for the tip!
You're welcome. I hope, they'll work for your niece. I think it's important for our young ones to have a pair that they can enjoy. Good depth of field, a fairly large exit pupil and not too heavy. And of course a nice and clear view.

One important thing for young children hasnt been mentioned. For those, other factors (including look, feeling and colours of the armouring) are as important as optics.
My advice therefore is to go with them at a store, where they can choose their own binocular and hold and try them for themselves in their own hands. The fun in trying, comparing, choosing their own bino plays an important role (acts well as an emotional binding that might well resulting in using them more often and longer).
A day out with the children strolling around in one or more shops will do it. It is also a lot of fun for the one, who has to pay the binocular(s) in the end. And a good educational lesson for the adults to keep them away from the alpha modells.

thanks for the recommendations - not one of these was known to me previously. I'd like to get the Vortex Diamond 8x32 HD for the boys, though hoping there will be a sale or discount code before I do. I have just ordered the Kowa YF II for my niece. Thanks!
That binocular (YF-II) is the same as the original Leupold Yosemite. The Leupold engineer designed it for kids because of his young daughter. When he left Leupold, the design went to Kowa. There are several similar binoculars, including the current Yosemite and the Opticron Savannah. They are surprisingly good for an inexpensive binocular.

Athlon Talos 8x42 which is on sale for only $99.99
  • Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction
  • BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.
  • Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects
  • Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Lifetime, No Fault Warranty

Nikon trailblazers 8x25….these punch way, way, way, above their price point and have lots of great reviews. They fold to fit in your pocket, yet let enough light in. So your not missing having a bigger pair of binoculars

my mom and Dad gave me a pair of Nikon pocket binoculars of similar size when I was young. They have been all around the world with me. Not because I was into birding, hunting, astronomy, etc….(those came later). It was because of their tiny size, they didn’t take up any room, so I threw them in my carry on luggage just in case. Never realizing until 25 years later they were one of my most prized possessions In life.

anything bigger will just sit on the shelf for limited use

Another vote for the Kowa YF 6x30 (or its siblings from other brands). They're nice looking (and nice to look through!), have a great close interpupilary distance, are dependable, terrific value and pretty good quality overall. I recommend them wholeheartedly (and have given them as a present many times to kids and adults alike). I guess you can't go wrong with them. Now that there's the new YF II you can probably find the original ones (black-red) for nice prices, and I'm not sure anything has changed aside from the colour scheme, I mean in the optical department they seem pretty much the same device (as has been discussed in the Kowa subforum).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back