• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular compared to Spotting scope.. (3 Viewers)

Northman

Comparing binoculars to a spotting scope..

I am contemplating two binoculars, either 12x50 or 15x56 and putting it on tripod.
I also have a 8x42 to go with them for hand held views.

I can't remember where I read this, but using both your eyes, you get a multiplier effect on objective size and amount of light...
Does this also work on magnification? I´m just talking compared to a spotting scope.

Would a 15x56 compete with a fixed 30x 65-70mm scope? Or something else?
What would a 12x50 compete against?

They all have their place, and yes for extended viewing periods 2 eyes are better than one.
There is no multiplier effect but using both eyes makes viewing much more comfortable and enjoyable.
A spotter will let you see out to longer distances and that is a distinct advantage also.
So, beyond that you will have try out some of these and experience how they can work for you.

Jerry

I find binoculars on a tripod awkward, to put it mildly.

To buy an instrument with magnification so high that you cannot hand hold it requires some kind of a rest, which is not what I consider the purpose of a binocular to be, and severely limits its usefulness.

Some (if not most) of the so called “boost” from using two eyes comes from the signal combining and processing center in the brain, which is truly amazing.

A 15x56 binocular will never compete with a 30x65-70 mm spotting scope for seeing long range detail. A binocular has many advantages at closer distances because you are are using both eyes, and they will always give you 2x the FOV of a spotter, plus you will have more comfort than a spotter. Using just one eye either in a spotter or even a monocular is alright for quick observation, but it will create eye strain in the long term because you are only magnifying one eye instead of both. That being said, I use a spotter for seeing mountain goats and nesting eagles at long distances in Wyoming that a binocular could never see with any detail. They both have their place depending on the circumstance.

I am contemplating two binoculars, either 12x50 or 15x56 and putting it on tripod.

I can't remember where I read this, but using both your eyes, you get a multiplier effect on objective size and amount of light...
Does this also work on magnification? I´m just talking compared to a spotting scope.

All things equal, the twin objectives of a binocular gather about 40% more light than a scope of the same aperture. So a 56mm binocular should seem as bright as an 80mm scope.

Simplistically giving the same advantage to magnification, the 15x56 bino would compete with a 21x80 scope. But the typical 80mm scope is 20-60x, so it pulls ahead as you zoom in.

Also, 15x56 binos are straight through, and once mounted, are less suited to observing things high up, whereas angled scopes are easily aimed at elevated targets.

For 12x50, the same 40% advantage implies a 15x60 scope, but 65mm scopes are typically 16-48x.

Personally, instead of 12x50/15x56 on tripod, I would go for 65/80mm scope on tripod, or 12-15x IS binocular.

IS binos have their own sub-forum, you can ask there for advice.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 4.52.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 4.52.18 PM.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 49
A 65mm scope, at least in decent light, will give you views from 25- 40 power that a 12 -15x binocular cannot.
If you're trying to suss out duck ID's at a distance, the extra magnification on a tripod is your friend. Aesthetically, the binoculars on a tripod might feel better, but that's a different issue.

-Bill

Personally, I really like my 10x42 Zeiss Conquest binoculars very much on a tripod. They have really good resolution, a wide field of veiw and two eyes are better than one. They are so crisp. I find I prefer my binoculars to my inexpensive but light weight spotter (Alpen 728 15-45x60mm) out to about 800 yards. Beyond that, the binoculars can't resolve as well as the spotter. The main point is that a higher end binocular on a tripod will out do an inexpensive spotter, especially at medium distances. Especially in low light, the binocuars are far better in low light. Thats not a knock on the little spotter, its really a pretty good performer for the price. And its very light weight at only 28 oz so very packble even on long hikes. But a caveate I might add is that my spotter is only really good up to about 30x and thereafter the image quality degrades substantially. On the other hand it does have the extra reach if wanted or needed. I would suspect a high end 15x56, 15x60 or 20x60 binocular would compete very favorably against many mid-sized spotters. I have thought hard about getting a 15x bin. On the other hand, from the vehicle, my vorex razor 20-60x85 comes out. And when I really want a good look or really want reach, my celestron C5 astro scope comes out. It puts the razor to shame.

Last edited:
I find binoculars on a tripod awkward, to put it mildly.

To buy an instrument with magnification so high that you cannot hand hold it requires some kind of a rest, which is not what I consider the purpose of a binocular to be, and severely limits its usefulness.

Some (if not most) of the so called “boost” from using two eyes comes from the signal combining and processing center in the brain, which is truly amazing.
How I use my binoculars on the tripod is I turn the pan handle away from me, backwards if you will, when I put my binoculars on. Then I reach around the tripod to control the bins with the pan handle. Also of note, my tripod is tall enough for me to stand all the way up. I can use the tripod all day like this and its wonderful.

Last edited:
How I use my binoculars on the tripod is I turn the pan handle away from me, backwards if you will, when I put my binoculars on. Then I reach around the tripod to control the bins with the pan handle.
That’s an interesting idea, which I never would have thought of in 100 years.

You can't beat the experience of a good spotting scope....period. Besides, you have the option of doing digiscoping if it so fits your likes. jim

Personally, I really like my 10x42 Zeiss Conquest binoculars very much on a tripod. They have really good resolution, a wide field of veiw and two eyes are better than one. They are so crisp. I find I prefer my binoculars to my inexpensive but light weight spotter (Alpen 728 15-45x60mm) out to about 800 yards.
No way, unless you have Ostriches or Emus in your locality or belong to that group of people, who shall not be mentioned here.
The human eye with 20/20 vision can resolve a 1" high contrast object at 100 yards or 8" at 800 yards.
Even with a very good 10x instrument in still air, visible details would probably have to be a few inches large.

John

I found this very confusing until I realized you meant one inch, not one second of arc.

Good human vision is generally thought to be able to resolve one minute of arc, roughly what you said.

No way, unless you have Ostriches or Emus in your locality or belong to that group of people, who shall not be mentioned here.
The human eye with 20/20 vision can resolve a 1" high contrast object at 100 yards or 8" at 800 yards.
Even with a very good 10x instrument in still air, visible details would probably have to be a few inches large.

John
I have 20/10 vision verified by an ophthalmologist. I have a herd of deer that frequently grazes about 600 yards out from my back deck (verified by a range finder) that I use as a reference comparing the spotting scope to the binoculars on a tripod. I can see antlers and other details as well with the binoculars on the tripod as with the spotter at that distance. Its smaller but the veiw through the bins is brighter, sharper, and with better color, hence I said I prefer them. Theres another herd of deer that commonly graze at about a 1000 yards out from the deck, thats the point where I prefer the spotter, though I can stil see antlers. So I guestimated 800. I also have a veiw that extends much father where I can look at elk that occasionally graze on a mountain that's about 3 miles away as measured on google earth. On the elk I use the C5 and I can count antler points at that distance with that scope.

Last edited:
In the photo, its about 600 yards to the trees beyond those houses. Thats where the deer hang out. The elk are on those mountains in the distance. This is looking north. Looking east I have another alfalfa field that extends beyond a 1000 yards. Whitetail deer graze at a variety of distances Sometimes there are also wild turkeys, pheasants, great horned owls, bald eagles, kestrals, coopers hawks, and a variety of songbirds. I spend a ton of time with my binoculars on a tripod off the back deck. I prefer the binoculars until very far out, beyond those trees.

Attachments

• 20220116_135512.jpg
    20220116_135512.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 32
It depends what the detail is.

With 20/15 vision I could see penumbral sunspots 38 arcseconds across with a safe correct density filter. Unaided eyes.
Or 34 arcseconds with my head braced against a lamp post.

Penumbral sunspots are not completely black.

So with 20/10 vision a black dot against a light background might be seen at about 23 arcseconds diameter without optical aid.

There are individuals who have better than 20/8 vision.

However, linear features are seen with much smaller widths than above.

Wires have been seen against the sky without optical aid with widths of less than 1 arcsecond.

So the statement that 20/20 vision means 1 arcminute resolution is misleading, and a very general statement.

Separating double stars at night usually means 2 arc minutes or greater.
During the day separating glitter points can be seen at perhaps 1.5 arcminutes.

Two or three subvisual black dots can be seen as one dot or a line when the separation of the dots is relatively far.

White dots on a black background is different also.

So, a much more complicated subject than usually discussed.

Regards,
B.

Hi Kevin.

Looking north is good, as generally the Sun is behind or to the side of the observer.
At least in the northern hemisphere.

The direction and elevation of the Sun is important and also the brightness levels.

I tend to take observations at face value from experienced observers.

I have no problem with the details that you see, or that you prefer a mounted binocular to a spotting scope in certain situations.

I have used scopes up to 12.5 inch aperture terrestrially.
Extensively 5 inch and 5.5 inch refractors and 6 inch Maksutovs.

I don't particularly like mounted binoculars myself and much prefer mounted scopes.

Regards,
B.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back