• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cleaning Zeiss Deltrintem's (1 Viewer)

Hello All,

I have some Zeiss 8x30 Deltrintem's, these are in fact my first and best bins at the mo. And cost me a fare whack, however they have fogged up, i am pretty sure this is inside as i have cleaned the outer lenses and it still seems to be there. I think most of the fogging occured when i was out in the rain one day watching a Buzzard sat on a rock (who didnt move for over an hour) and i couldnt be bothered to put them away! They are not fogged up completely its just a small portion of the viewing area but its enough to annoy me ;-)

My question is:

1. Would it be possible for me to remove the lenses and clean the insides of them without ruining the binoculars? I have noted that the lenses screw off.
And would i need any special tools to do this? I ask this because obviously i wouldnt want to risk scratching the lenses.

Thanks for any help

Neil

Second Tim's advice, but would go further. Under no circumstances try to remove the lenses on any pair of bins. They are collimated (set up) when made to ensure that the light paths through the bins are correct. If you try to remove moisture by removing the lenses then the bin's will no longer be correctly set up, and you will find that they become impossible to use for long periods as the light paths will no longer be parallel when they emerge from the eyepiece lenses. I speak as one who tried and failed :-C

hi,

i would agree to what has been said here. fogged up deltrintems are hard to clean if water droplets are held prisoner between the two prisms. mine just wouldn't recover from a serious fogging, i had to dismantle them but could never align them again (tried though with laser pointer and various methods but this is not a simple task - does anyone know how it should be done theoretically?)
regards,
zp

Thanks for the replies, it looks as though it was a good decision to not take them apart then !

Also how does one know when the lenses are aligned anyway?
Is there a quick way to test?

However if anyone else has any other suggestions then please post.

Thanks

Neil

Hill_Walker said:
Thanks for the replies, it looks as though it was a good decision to not take them apart then !

Also how does one know when the lenses are aligned anyway?
Is there a quick way to test?

However if anyone else has any other suggestions then please post.

Thanks

Neil

lots of silica gel and the binos in a bag

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back