• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Current RSPB 8x42 HD binoculars? (3 Viewers)

Thrupenney Bit

United Kingdom
Hi,
Following my recent revived interest in birds locally, my wife was wondering about upgrading her Opticron 8x42 poroprisms purchased around 1992.
She's looking for nothing 'silly-expensive', as she's not that committed but does enjoy looking at what's about, and realises things will have improved since buying her old ones.

She went on a voyage of discovery in our local RSPB shop and took a trip through their range of bins. On returning we chatted and she said that on looking through the 8x42 HD's she actually exclaimed 'wow' aloud!
Priced at £480 it's slightly more than she thought she might spend, but admits that the image quality was a noticable improvement.

I know nothing about the RSPB range. Not certain as to the manufacture - Viking? - and with a limit of their equivalent price, what else is worth considering, and how do people find the RSPB range?
We have a 'Infocus field day' coming soon, so another chance to view other makes so no immediate urge to take the plunge and head for the RSPB's HD range, but she was impressed with them so if nothing else it's a marker to beat.
Therefore.... thoughts please people!
best wishes
Q

Thanks Daniel.
We really need to be able to check out and look through alternatives to the RSPB ones, so a second hand pair needing to be posted before viewing isn't really an answer, but...
A new pair comes in under the price point set by the RSPB ones, and I'm sure we can find a shop or check them out at the local field day in a couple of weeks.

I'm still wondering if there are any users on the forum can give an opinion as users how they've got on with the RSPB bins...

Hawke Frontier EDX 8x42 is a good alternative with excellent after sales service too

Hi Q

I don't use RSPB binoculars but I've tried them all out over time and IMO your wife has hit on the best one in the current range. For £80 less the newer Harrier X may match it optically but I feel the mechanics are better on the HD. The HD focusses clockwise to infinity as do all the so called Alphas which may be a consideration depending on what you are used to.

Another binocular to consider is the Viking Osprey which is similar to the Hawke EDX in specifications and in your price range. Youtuber Northern Optics has compared them both and they are very similar. Neil English has reviewed the Hawke on his website.

Thank you for sharing.
It's reassuring to know there is little difference between two sets of bins at a similar price point.
To my mind it then comes down to personal choice - balance, feel etc which is... personal!
Will make a note of these models and hope we'll bump into them at the up and coming field day.

Last edited:
The RSPB binoculars are rebadged Viking binoculars.
Viking have the binoculars built in China.
From the quoted price it seems that your wife liked the 8x42 RSPB HD, almost the top of the range and seem to represent decent value for money.
IMG_0229.jpeg

The RSPB binoculars are rebadged Viking binoculars.
Viking have the binoculars built in China.
From the quoted price it seems that your wife liked the 8x42 RSPB HD, almost the top of the range and seem to represent decent value for money.
View attachment 1561712

Thanks for the spec.
She went along to the local shop out of curiosity and worked her way up in terms of image quality, and they actually induced a 'wow!' from her apparently.
We've chatted again today after I've been digging around this forum and getting opinions which I've passed on. With a field day this sunday, it'd be silly not to try the alternatives mentioned on this thread. If nothing there grabs her, the RSPB shop is on our way home!

That’s brilliant
You can never beat actually looking through the binoculars before you buy - in my humble opinion
Good Luck

Update:
During last week I was close so took a look at the RSPB binoculars I've been enquiring about in their local shop.
They were quite good and gave my wife a benchmark, something to see if they can be bettered for her within the price range.
It also enabled me to have a look.

We went to a field day locally today and my wife could have a good look at binoculars in the midst of a nature reserve, with the RSPB ones in the back of her mind.
OK the RSPB ones were not the but she did try the Hawke's as mentioned above but in the end settled on a pair of Opticron DBA VHD 8x42's.
She's really please with them, they suit her and have a longer guarantee then the RSPB ones.
This afternoon we've taken a stroll around our local wetland and she has enjoyed using them.
Result!

Thanks to all for your comments, it's helped us steer our way through the new crop of binoculars.
cheers
Q

Update:
During last week I was close so took a look at the RSPB binoculars I've been enquiring about in their local shop.
They were quite good and gave my wife a benchmark, something to see if they can be bettered for her within the price range.
It also enabled me to have a look.

We went to a field day locally today and my wife could have a good look at binoculars in the midst of a nature reserve, with the RSPB ones in the back of her mind.
OK the RSPB ones were not the but she did try the Hawke's as mentioned above but in the end settled on a pair of Opticron DBA VHD 8x42's.
She's really please with them, they suit her and have a longer guarantee then the RSPB ones.
This afternoon we've taken a stroll around our local wetland and she has enjoyed using them.
Result!

Thanks to all for your comments, it's helped us steer our way through the new crop of binoculars.
cheers
Q
Those Opticron DBA VHD(regular) and Plus versions are a really nice pair. I wonder if Opticron in the future is going to go further in their development and give them the Aurora upgrades ? That would be great and also keep their original dual hinge design.

Those Opticron DBA VHD(regular) and Plus versions are a really nice pair. I wonder if Opticron in the future is going to go further in their development and give them the Aurora upgrades ? That would be great and also keep their original dual hinge design.
Yes to be fair they are very nice. I quite like them as well, but am happy with my current pair so not tempted to change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back