• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark Chanting Goshawk - Zimbabwe (3 Viewers)

These are the only three photos.

I was taking pictures of Swifts (& ended up with 75 photos of blue sky.)

I was standing latitude just North of Limpopo River which is a wide, low lying valley swarming with insects after our first rains.
This Falcon was being chased by a crow. It was big like a Lanner. It got low and fast and flew due East. That's all I can give you. Sorry.

Eleonora's is much smaller than Lanner...

I have no strong view one way or the other, and have never seen Eleonora's. However I wonder if the ratio of tail length to head +body length helps here. Without measuring (someone could), it seems the tail of the Op bird's slightly longer, the African bird club image is about the same length, and the typical lanner above is shorter. These impressions try to take angle into account.

I have no strong view one way or the other, and have never seen Eleonora's. However I wonder if the ratio of tail length to head +body length helps here. Without measuring (someone could), it seems the tail of the Op bird's slightly longer, the African bird club image is about the same length, and the typical lanner above is shorter. These impressions try to take angle into account.

Actually, the very long tail impression in Eleonora's is notably due to very narrow wings. For example, Andy's photo shows clearly the base of the tail that almost "touches" the tertials, while there is a big gap between tertials tip and base of tail in Eleonora's, like in Dean's bird. I don't think angle plays any role in the detail

Eleonora's is much smaller than Lanner...

Well it came out of nowhere and disappeared 'a tout vitesse!'

so bigger than Eurasian Hobby with slim body and wings and my first thought was Lanner - because that's the only other falcon I have ever seen in my life. You guys in Europe have lots of these falcons.

I've only been birding for 4 years, which is when I joined this forum because I quickly realised I haven't a clue what the heck I'm doing. But I do find peace walking around in the wilderness with my little canon camera.

I think it is Eleonora's. My friend saw an Eleonora's 19°48'S 32°52'E

Actually, the very long tail impression in Eleonora's is notably due to very narrow wings. For example, Andy's photo shows clearly the base of the tail that almost "touches" the tertials, while there is a big gap between tertials tip and base of tail in Eleonora's, like in Dean's bird. I don't think angle plays any role in the detail

Brilliant.

It didn't flap it's wings like I once saw Lanner do. It just soared in a straight line like it had a rocket attached to it.

I just watched a you tube video about Elenoras in Sardinia... and then they fly to Madagascar. Mind bending.

Main wintering range is Madagascar, but they migrate late in season, as they start breeding late in Mediterranean region and they are therefore regularly seen in other Africa countries in this period. I've seen several in Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique, Zambia, Uganda... a rare or at best uncommon bird but not at all impossible in Zimbabwe.

FWIW:

1- the long winged impression can easily be due to forshortening as the picture was not taken from below (ie: the wing lenght is not affected per say, but the perceived width of the wing is affected by foreshortening, thus the wing may appear longer).
And the extent of the "gape" between the tail base and the tertials is a fonction of whether or not the tail is fanned (ie:the extent of the gape changes constantly...). How this can be considered a critical feature is beyond me...

2- for those who say this is an Eleonora's: would you care to define what age and colour morph? I am asking because...

3-....the dense patterning of breast/upper belly stops abruptly in a straight line towards the lower belly/vent leaving a sharp and square demarcation between the two areas. This, in itself, is already weird for an Eleonora's of any age and nigh on impossible for an adult of this species - but typical for juv Lanner, just saying... - but let's say it can occur in juveniles. The real problem comes out when one combines this features with the rather uniformely dark underwing...because that would mean we are dealing with a juv Elenora's showing characteristics of both light morph (underparts) and dark morph (underwing/flight feathers pattern). Beside, such dark flight feathers must be at least rare in juv Eleonora's, even the darkest individuals.

4- Based on the available evidences (photos AND account of observer), if I were sitting in the comity assessing this record, I would never accept the bird as an Eleonora's in a area where it is rare (has it been ever recorded there?).

Lots of records in the East of the country in the mountains.
One record in the West of the country.

I was 150kms South of Bulawayo and my book shows no record from there but you should understand that there are no people there.

I should have got a better photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back