• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (11 Viewers)

It really is worth half a day at Blackbrook Stef - you will be amazed at what they have (Secretary Bird, Sun Bittern, Gypo Plover and GG Owl being personal faves!).
There are lakes with allsorts of wildfowl on them (smaller version of Pensthorpe) and as you approach you will see the White Storks - they are in a large open field with nests on mounds etc. Nothing to keep them in.
I dont specifically recall Black Stork there but have been told they have them, and thinking on they may have been in with the Vultures...
Unfortunately the fact that it is so open means it will cast doubt on any birds seen in the locale that they hold (def no Purple Heron or Spoonbills tho!)

Sacred Ibis - I have tried that crap photo of mine of the Ibis again to see if I can show the ring, but its not clear. My notes specifically say left leg and it was feeding right in front of us in the open so no reason to think I would have got the wrong leg. I scoped the ring to see if I could make it out but couldnt.

Hi

I also saw the Ibis at Carsington and confirm that it did indeed have a ring on the left leg, hope this helps.

Just come back from Carsi.... where again I failed to catch up with the BTDiver:-O But a nice drake Goosander made up for that as did seeing the Redshank pair on Big island interacting with their young. The usual other stuff was present.... but no GNDiver either, maybe it has finally flt the call of the north!

ATB
Steph'

Had a good morning with the BTD this a.m starting at Sheepwash then ending up under the bank at Hopton end. Had Buzzards, Raven and Garden Warbler there too. Some guys were down from the Wirral to twitch it and RC Pochard! Went into the valleys north of there later in search of Redstart and had plenty of singing males. Also checked several Raven territories - they have had a bumper spring with plenty of young about.Finally back home there are Bullfinch on the feeders and then the unmistakable sight of Hobby over the house, lingering for a minute then gone in seconds.

I'll start off with what to my and several other birders' eyes is a 1st Summer non breeding Arctic Tern. This bird appeared in front of Sheepwash yesterday tea time. After a brief fly around it landed on the mud in front of the hide enabling me to get several shots. I'm currently trying to find some figures but both 1st Summer Arctic and Common Terns are quite rare in Europe....never mind Derbyshire. The photos are not the best but are good enough for a positive id.

The Black-throated Diver was still present but fairly mobile flitting between Sheepwash and Hopton End. Still a pair of Red-crested Pochards at the Wildlife Centre. Dunlin near Sailing Club, 4+ Little Ringed Plover. Also a Sanderling on the muddy islands at Sheepwash.

Attachments

• SNV35965.jpg
    SNV35965.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 71
  • SNV35972.jpg
    SNV35972.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 52
  • SNV35973.jpg
    SNV35973.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 58
  • SNV35990.jpg
    SNV35990.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 55
  • SNV35992.jpg
    SNV35992.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 71
I'll start off with what to my and several other birders' eyes is a 1st Summer non breeding Arctic Tern. This bird appeared in front of Sheepwash yesterday tea time. After a brief fly around it landed on the mud in front of the hide enabling me to get several shots. I'm currently trying to find some figures but both 1st Summer Arctic and Common Terns are quite rare in Europe....never mind Derbyshire. The photos are not the best but are good enough for a positive id.

Dave
Could you clarify bare part colouration please.

Dave
Could you clarify bare part colouration please.

Edit ok I do know what you mean now, just me being a bit dense. To be honest I didn't get a good look at the legs so couldn't really say but the bill was as I would expect it to be...all dark.

Last edited:
Well b****r me .... went to photograph the BTDiver last night and never thought to pop into Sheepwash, what an interesting Tern!

Still did finally get record shots of the diver though! :t: (thanks Dan for the message btw!).

As Dan suggested earlier we had a research trip to Blackbrook. Never saw anyone to help with the BStork issue but they certainly have at least one sitting on a nest! The most worrying bird was an apparently unringed Cattle Egret flying around the site loose! But after looking around the collections I think anything could turn up at Carsi etc:eek!:

ATB

Steph'

But after looking around the collections I think anything could turn up at Carsi etc:eek!:

ATB

Steph'

Fair enough but if that's the case then I'm surprised that more of their so called captive birds haven't been turning up at Carsi over the years. P.S. What do you think of the Tern, Steph?

Fair enough but if that's the case then I'm surprised that more of their so called captive birds haven't been turning up at Carsi over the years. P.S. What do you think of the Tern, Steph?

The "zoo" hasn't ben established in its current state for very long - before major spending it was a shadow of what it is now.

As Stef says there is unfortunately loads of potential for escapees, and the place is massively under staffed by very young people. The ticket girl served meals and also did the Peklican feeding display! What I mean is that I do wonder if there is the same degree of "control" over what they have as other places. Maybe a degree of blind eye is given to wandering birds, as long as they return?

Remember the Cape Shelduck recently? Typical of what could escape from here (and lets face it they came from some where). It would be nice to think that everything pinioned would never get out, but its so open that anything regaining the power of flight could clear off into the surrounding countryside at will.

The Stork records are under huge pressure from the possibility that they wandered from here.

County tick today in form of Red Kite over Dale Abbey, it drifted through my viewfinder as I was taking landscapes of the abbey ruins. Went through low, very quickly, being buffeted by the wind, had no time to change lens and get a photo though.

Arrived at Carsi this morning at around 08.30 about 30 mins after Roger had the Osprey. I walked the Dam Wall and picked up the Black-throated Diver close into the Dam. I met up with Clive and Roger on Stones Island where the Osprey re-appeared over the Dam.

We headed off to the Wildlife Centre where the Ruff was still present. A bit of commotion at the feeding station caught my eye as a Jackdaw caught and killed a juvenile Tree Sparrow. A pair of Little Grebe were there with 2 young. Also the pair of Red-crested Pochards and a drake Wigeon.

From Sheepwash we had a Ringed Plover, 2 Dunlin, Little Ringed Plover, Common Sandpiper, Hobby, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, 2 Common Tern and a Herring Gull.

By early afternoon the wind had really picked up so why we chose to go up on the moors in anybody's guess. Not surprisingly we didn't see much. We nipped to Ogston where we had 11 Ringed Plover, 3 Dunlin, c5 Little Ringed Plover and a Sanderling.

Back to Sheepwash where we didn't get anything else of note. Although we did have a probable Reed Warbler near the hide, and a family of Willow Tits.
Spent the last hour on Stones Island and had a fly past Sanderling.

This evening at Carsington;
The Black throated Diver close to the dam wall by the sailing club.
1 Sanderling on Horseshoe Island with 5+Dunlin and the Ruff also still present.
1 Ringed Plover on Horseshoe Island.

I've been in contact with Rod about the 1st Summer Arctic Tern at Carsington at the weekend. I wondered if there had been any previous sightings in the county. This is the reply.

As far as Derbyshire is concerned I cannot recollect another sighting in the county. At least I have not seen one although as most birds are seen flying through in Spring and very few are seen down on the ground it may be that others have passed through unnoticed. The only ones I have seen have always been at the Cemlyn Bay Tern Colony in Anglesey where I have usually seen some whenever I have visited it. I imagine other birds must come north in Spring and visit Tern colonies although I believe only a small part of the population migrates North the remainder spending time in West African waters etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back