• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (6 Viewers)

I've been in contact with Rod about the 1st Summer Arctic Tern at Carsington at the weekend. I wondered if there had been any previous sightings in the county. This is the reply.

As far as Derbyshire is concerned I cannot recollect another sighting in the county. At least I have not seen one although as most birds are seen flying through in Spring and very few are seen down on the ground it may be that others have passed through unnoticed. The only ones I have seen have always been at the Cemlyn Bay Tern Colony in Anglesey where I have usually seen some whenever I have visited it. I imagine other birds must come north in Spring and visit Tern colonies although I believe only a small part of the population migrates North the remainder spending time in West African waters etc.

The 2001 record failed to make the annual County report too.

Carsi could well be the place for a Red Necked Phal next as there are several about not too far away. Shame this one didnt stick.

The 2001 record failed to make the annual County report too.

Carsi could well be the place for a Red Necked Phal next as there are several about not too far away. Shame this one didnt stick.

Humm pity that with the Phal.... of course there has been one RNPhal at Carsi but did it get accepted? If not it was a pity, I remember running across the dam and getting there just in time to see it take off the water and head off over the visitor centre. Plus there was a second record that didn't make the grade to I think? I cannot remember? But I do remember rushing off after it and finding nothing sadly.

ATB

Steph'

Humm pity that with the Phal.... of course there has been one RNPhal at Carsi but did it get accepted? If not it was a pity, I remember running across the dam and getting there just in time to see it take off the water and head off over the visitor centre. Plus there was a second record that didn't make the grade to I think? I cannot remember? But I do remember rushing off after it and finding nothing sadly.

ATB

Steph'

See pics of the Middleton moor bird here.

http://www.sbsg.org/sightings/recentsightings.asp

ATB

Steph'

I remember that moment Steph!

Hi Clive

Birdguides mentions the sighting for two days ago - so likely to be the same bird that has been at Uttoxeter since leaving Willington on Sunday I guess.

Cheers

Andy R

Cheers Andy, just figured that out. Wonder what the story is there then?

Here's the story on the Lesser Yellowlegs...

On 29th May Richard Pittam was on platform 4 from early in the morning when a slim elegant wader dropped onto the shallow area of water left of Platform 4 at about 6.30.a.m. He managed to take some photos of the bird before it suddenly took off and flew West at about 6.35. a.m... He did not identify the bird at the time and it had not returned by the time he left the site at about 9.00.a.m. He had not had chance to look at the photos until yesterday-30thy May after hearing about the Lesser Yellowlegs which was found just over the Derbyshire border at Uttoxeter Quarry, Staffs mid afternoon on 29th May. He then looked at his photos of the Willington bird -and came to the conclusion that they showed either a Wood Sandpiper or a Lesser Yellowlegs. He sent the photos to Richard James who confirmed that they did indeed show a Lesser Yellowlegs, the second ever Derbyshire record following on from the bird at Carr Vale Nature Reserve in August 1998. It is still at Uttoxeter Quarry today-31st May-which is within about half a mile of the Derbyshire border. Nice find Richard and shows the value of carrying around a camera and a big lens.

Spent a few hours up at Padley yesterday. We walked from one end to the other and had at least 11 Pied Flycatchers. In one spot alone there were 2 pairs and a another male. We then had several more pairs on the way through the woods. The Wood Warbler was playing hard to get and we had to wait until walking back before we caught up with it. At one point it came down right in front of us at eye level.

There were also several Redstarts, 2 Spotted Flycatchers, Stonechat, Tree Pipit, Meadow Pipits, Linnets, Tawny Owl, Great Spot Wood feeding young, 2 Jays and lots of other common birds.

Next stop was Middleton Moor where we had 2 LRP's 2 Oycs, 24 LBB Gulls, Lapwing with young and BH Gulls with young.

A quick stop at Beeley produced a Hobby and a pair of Whinchat.

Last stop was Wyver Lane where we had 73 Greylag Geese which included 18 young, 2 Shelduck, 2 Shoveler, 3 Mandarin, 2 Oycs, 21 Lapwings and a Curlew.

Not great but a few shots of the Wood Warbler. It had a ring on its right leg but we didn't manage to read it.

Attachments

• SNV36109.jpg
    SNV36109.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 45
  • SNV36122.jpg
    SNV36122.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 52
  • SNV36140.jpg
    SNV36140.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 59
Dave and others interested in the Wood Warblers at Padley.
I have watched these birds a lot recently.
I intend these comments to be informative and in no way offensive.
The birds are very easy to find and see at the moment (if you can recognise the song)

"The Wood Warbler was playing hard to get"
It was staying away for a reason.

"At one point it came down right in front of us at eye level"
It was bringing food to young.

Can all birders please remember these are rare breeding birds that nest on the ground in areas with little cover. Watch where your treading, watch the birds from a good distance, put in a bit of time to watch the birds routine, seek cover yourself (behind a tree trunk). You'll get amazing views and not disturb the birds.

Dave and others interested in the Wood Warblers at Padley.
I have watched these birds a lot recently.
I intend these comments to be informative and in no way offensive.
The birds are very easy to find and see at the moment (if you can recognise the song)

"The Wood Warbler was playing hard to get"
It was staying away for a reason.

"At one point it came down right in front of us at eye level"
It was bringing food to young.

Can all birders please remember these are rare breeding birds that nest on the ground in areas with little cover. Watch where your treading, watch the birds from a good distance, put in a bit of time to watch the birds routine, seek cover yourself (behind a tree trunk). You'll get amazing views and not disturb the birds.

The only reason why I said it was playing hard to get was because It wasn't singing. It wasn't staying away either because a birder who had walked past us said he had just had good views within a few yards (from the path) so hardly staying away.

And also, about it 'bringing food to young' when we had it at eye level. No it wasn't. We were walking back towards the railway station when we heard it singing. So we stopped and watched a while (from the path). The bird came quite close at eye level and was singing its heart out. At no time was it taking food to young.

Dave, please accept my apology if my comment has caused offense, it was not my intention to 'have a dig' merely to make people aware. I see you post and bird regularly around Derbyshire and I know that you'd not be disturbing the birds.
Sounds like the bird you saw may not be on territory/feeding young but several in the Gorge are, some not far from main paths, including right-legged ringed adult male birds.
Whilst I accept my earlier comment was ill judged and presumptuous, my advise and guidance for observing these birds stands. The birds are more vulnerable than many perhaps less knowledgable/experienced birders/photographers think.
The other day I had to stop a 'birder' who was trampling through the woodland. I said what were you hoping to see this morning. He said, Wood Warbler, Redstart, Pied Fly etc. Then I said, do you realise WW nest on the ground. He wasn't aware at all.

Last edited:
Dave, please accept my apology if my comment has caused offense, it was not my intention to 'have a dig' merely to make people aware. I see you post and bird regularly around Derbyshire and I know that you'd not be disturbing the birds.
Sounds like the bird you saw may not be on territory/feeding young but several in the Gorge are, some not far from main paths, including right-legged ringed adult male birds.
Whilst I accept my earlier comment was ill judged and presumptuous, my advise and guidance for observing these birds stands. The birds are more vulnerable than many perhaps less knowledgable/experienced birders/photographers think.
The other day I had to stop a 'birder' who was trampling through the woodland. I said what were you hoping to see this morning. He said, Wood Warbler, Redstart, Pied Fly etc. Then I said, do you realise WW nest on the ground. He wasn't aware at all.

Paul, your post didn't cause offence at all. I just wanted to make clear that in no way was we disturbing any bird. I do agree with what you say though regarding how best to watch them. As for the birder you saw who was trampling through the woodland. If I had been there I would also have said something.

Paul, your post didn't cause offence at all. I just wanted to make clear that in no way was we disturbing any bird. I do agree with what you say though regarding how best to watch them. As for the birder you saw who was trampling through the woodland. If I had been there I would also have said something.

had wood warbler at padley a couple of weeks back, the best way to watch that one was to stand smack bang in the middle of the main path about 30 yards from the start of the wood, it's not as if they're difficult to find there, so you don't need to go tramping through the woods.

in fact we had pied fly, spot fly , redstart, and stonechat without leaving a path

Just a quick update for Wyver. The 106th bird for the year was recorded last week when 2 Shelduck appeared on the 26th and were still there yesterday. In fact there was also a record of 2 on the 22nd.

On June 2nd there was 73 Greylag Geese which included 18 young. 3 Mandarin were on the upper pool which included 2 female and a very scruffy male. 21 Lapwing on the main pool, a Curlew on the upper pool.

I couldn't sleep that well on Friday night so I decided to get up and have a walk down to Wyver. I was there just before 05.00 before the sun was even up over the hillside. Apart from the 2 Shelduck there wasn't much else on the main pool apart from the pair of Shoveler. When the sun did decide to get up viewing from the hide was near impossible so I decided to walk down the lane. A decision vindicated when at the very bottom of the lane I had a Spotted Flycatcher. At first it was officially outside the recording area but it eventually took off and flew across the old tip and towards the river. This is only my second Spot Fly down Wyver and follows the one from May 27th last year. This is the 107th species for the year....already 2 more than last year.

There are still a few silly ones we haven't got yet too. Reed Warbler, Water Rail, Kingfisher, Tern sp to name just a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back