• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (9 Viewers)

...hummmmm indeed, that Pinkie has been kicking around (on and off) for a month or two now, we did notice that it isn't ringed today though.
Anyone know any more about that Harrier record?

Aha. Got the impression from Roger the Pinkie was new...... never mind me misunderstanding as usual, dodgy anyway LOL....

I see even Kingsmill Res has a Grey Phal today, where's ours..........:C

ATB

Steph'

Aha. Got the impression from Roger the Pinkie was new...... never mind me misunderstanding as usual, dodgy anyway LOL....

I see even Kingsmill Res has a Grey Phal today, where's ours..........:C

ATB

Steph'

It will be on a small pond near wingerworth and we won't find out until someone sends a picture they need identifying into Chris Packham.

Managed to find the little owl that was reported recently at Stubley Hollow.

Got a distant, dodgy picture of it, which was too overexposed. Trying to get close to it today has proved very tricky, the bird is very wary of my presence!

Anyone got any tips? I've only got 10x optical zoom to play with unfortunately, but other than going on a windy day (when the bird is less inclined to fly from its perch) I don't know how I'm going to get near it.

Was talking about Grey Phal with a chap up here in Pleasley yesterday, both felt like it was time the pit had one. We were just 3 miles off.
Even for Derbyshire listers I'd say it was worth hopping the border for, we had it down to two or three yards this afternoon. Not like there's much else around, is there?

Early Rock Pipit on Stones Island (Carsington) last night.

Knew there would be a fresh bird in last night 'cause I missed going:-O Still there should hopefully be more Rockets in the coming weeks......

I agree with James the Phal was worth venturing over the border to enemy territory for;). Funny when I got there it was feeding behind a small boom strung between two jettys and all you could see was its head..... then the model boaters brought in the boom and the phal followed it right up to the shore!

ATB

Steph'

Had a quick visit to Carr Vale yesterday - 2 Hobbies still performing well and on view most of the time. Also here several Buzzards, Sprawk, 1Blackwit, the lone Cettis still singing, regular wildfowl and still plenty of Sand, House Martins and Swallows.

Called at Ogston after and had 8 Buzzards up together, Hobby and a Peregrine showed well cruising back and forth. No new waders in.

Peregrine over home this afternoon in-between showers too and then at 5ish the familiar sound of Pink Feet, 130 going east and on their way to the Norfolk coast.

popped to Carsington this evening. I did see a bird which on profile looked like a fulmar but i saw it very briefly from millfields going towards the roost. Put scope and tropod up and couldnt find it at all. As I say very brief views so not calling it 100%. Roost was quite big. picked up on a couple of common gulls in there too. Also a common sandpiper dropped in before the downpoor which totally soaked me through.

Loads of waders in the corner by the sailing club (carsington) yesterday.
23 Ringed Plover
12 Dunlin
3 Ruff
Redshank
Snipe
LRP

Some photos of the Cape/Australian Shelduck type thingymejig at Wyver Lane.

Attachments

• SNV36915.jpg
    SNV36915.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 24
  • SNV36923.jpg
    SNV36923.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 28
  • SNV36926.jpg
    SNV36926.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 28
  • SNV36928.jpg
    SNV36928.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 27
  • SNV36929.jpg
    SNV36929.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 24
Those Black Terns where a pain, I was there an hour and concluded they had gone, then just after Clive arrived we saw one over the spit and as we were watching that another appeared..... then they vanished for ages before one popped up again off Sheepwash before doing another bunk, then Roger arrived and we looked hard to no avail before Clive informed us one was off the sailing club. Amazing how they vanished, but not as amazing as the incredible vanishing Pintail, when I arrived I spotted a drake Pintail snoozing with the Teal in front of the hide..... took my eyes off it for a second, scanned round then an an adult Peregrine flew through and despite looking we never saw the bird again!

Early evening saw 2 Yellow legged Gulls of Sheepwash (both adults) and a 4th winter and a 1st winter Herring Gull. Still good numbers of Mipits about but I'll let Clive give the totals!

ATB

Steph'

Those Black Terns where a pain, I was there an hour and concluded they had gone, then just after Clive arrived we saw one over the spit and as we were watching that another appeared..... then they vanished for ages before one popped up again off Sheepwash before doing another bunk, then Roger arrived and we looked hard to no avail before Clive informed us one was off the sailing club. Amazing how they vanished, but not as amazing as the incredible vanishing Pintail, when I arrived I spotted a drake Pintail snoozing with the Teal in front of the hide..... took my eyes off it for a second, scanned round then an an adult Peregrine flew through and despite looking we never saw the bird again!

Early evening saw 2 Yellow legged Gulls of Sheepwash (both adults) and a 4th winter and a 1st winter Herring Gull. Still good numbers of Mipits about but I'll let Clive give the totals!

ATB

Steph'

Well I counted 103 Mipits this morning, but probably a lot more. I recon I had 5 Yellow legged Gulls, 18 Ringed Plover, 10 Dunlin, 2 Ruff and
a Redshank.

Well I counted 103 Mipits this morning, but probably a lot more. I recon I had 5 Yellow legged Gulls, 18 Ringed Plover, 10 Dunlin, 2 Ruff and
a Redshank.

I thought you would do the roost! Still quite low numbers of Yellow legged Gulls so far.... we will need a few more to reach the site record of 20 last year!
Some waders seem to have moved out, so maybe we will get some more soon!

Pager informs me at least one juv Black Tern is still at Carsington this am

ATB

Steph'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back