• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (18 Viewers)

More JB than me Dave, all the Lessers went up big style. I think we both knew it must be a Skua, but it took a full 5 minutes or so before Jon got onto it. So glad Jon was there or I may have been stuck with Skua sp. Got to be Arctic though for me, having read up.

More JB than me Dave, all the Lessers went up big style. I think we both knew it must be a Skua, but it took a full 5 minutes or so before Jon got onto it. So glad Jon was there or I may have been stuck with Skua sp. Got to be Arctic though for me, having read up.

Well either way a good find. I gather it was still there when you left. Surprsied the news hasn't been put out.

Looks like the Arctic Skua at Carsi has gone. This from Bird Guides.....juvenile this morning before flying northeast past Sheepwash gaining height and no further sign.

Looks like the Arctic Skua at Carsi has gone. This from Bird Guides.....juvenile this morning before flying northeast past Sheepwash gaining height and no further sign.

Yes Roger had the Skua, at 06:45, from Sheepwash.
Pity I decided to check millfields!
Also present today, Black Tern,9 Goosander,4 Shoveler,4 Ruff,Wheatear,Peregrine and an uncounted number of Dunlin and Ringed Plover.

Nightjar!
one on fence in the rear garden of No.30 Wright Street this afternoon for its 3rd day; view from a sensible distance.
It then flew from it's favoured spot in heavy rain.

Sounds interesting - I wonder who has had it?

Nightjar!
one on fence in the rear garden of No.30 Wright Street this afternoon for its 3rd day; view from a sensible distance.
It then flew from it's favoured spot in heavy rain.

Sounds interesting - I wonder who has had it?

30 Wright Street in Codnor. Maybe it was the people who live at 30 Wright Street, Codnor.

At least 29 Dunlin in front of the Sailing Club, Carsi this evening according to Clive.

Stood for several enjoyable hours down Wyver with Richard, Dave and Chris thursday morning before moving on to Carsington for the afternoon.
We bantered about the fact that there wasnt "much about", but I mentioned that what we had seen would have been a great Derbyshire day not so many years back - 5 Ravens accompanied at least 8 Buzzards with a scan round, Hobby appeared twice and then at Carsi we had 3 Ruff, 3 Turnstones amongst the Dunlin, Ringies and Redshank.
To finish at Paul Stanley an adult Yellow Leg devoured a trout and a Little Egret dropped in! We were quite shocked not to see Peregrine, and could have easily if we dropped down to Derby first....
Time flies doesnt it? I recounted twitching my first County Buzzard and Little Egret about 25 years ago.......and since then Raven and Hobby have done well, with Yellow leg available almost year round.

So my point?! These are great gains, but what have we lost in this period? we discussed Turtle Dove as an obvious example, and Corn Bunting.......both will need a concerted effort to see next year.
So whats your biggest loss in your part of Derbyshire?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back