• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (6 Viewers)

It was very disappointing Dave and i can't fathom out why. If the species is sufficiently scarce for the county then surely it should go on. Nonetheless it was a terrific start to the day!.

Very productive on my walk back down the lane upon leaving the hide around 4pm,Kingfisher and two Mandarin flew down the Derwent and a Kestrel over the back of Wyver Wood.

I was very surprised to find out today that Birdguides no longer put news of Red Kites out. Shortly after we had the Kite down Wyver I sent them a text which is the usual way I do it. After a while I looked on birdguides and noticed that they hadn't put the Kite on. I rang them up to ask why and they said they hadn't been putting them on for a while now beacause they 'are everywhere and have been mostly introduced'.

Although I understand where he was coming from, Red Kite remains a good county bird. If one was lingering somewhere in the county I know a few listers who would be keen on seeing it. I might try and find out what the views are of other bird information services and if they feel differently to birdguides I might leave birdguides and go with them.

Just passing through and noticed your post Dave, I agree birdguides and others should still put out not so rare/scarce birds such as red kite there are people that subscribe to them that are only a year or two in with their lists and still need some of the local scarcities.
A couple of years ago i was talking to a guy at Flambourgh head, he has been birding since the seventies, he mentioned a couple of not rare but not common birds he had seen that week..... i asked did he put them out he said no ive seen loads... i said i havent, He saw my point.
Jon

Hi Steve
Both Red Grouse and Mountain Hare can be seen pretty close and in reasonable numbers if you park at Cutthroat Bridge SK212872 and take the path towards Whinstone Lee Tor; will be good for Ring Ouzel and Stonechat in a couple of weeks as well ( Black Grouse; intros) are nearby.
As for Red Kites, I had two seperate birds in a day last year and they wouldnt put them out either; bit puzzling as one of them was over St Alkmonds church in the middle of Derby!!

I was sorry to hear of the news of the mute swans at elvaston park this week what a terrible sight to see afterwards for people in the park at the time i really hope the people responsible for this crime are caught and prosecuted and made to pay for their evil deeds
lets hope to god this is a one off and they are caught soon.
I have also been a member of the derbyshire ornithological society 30 years this year.

Hi Steve
Both Red Grouse and Mountain Hare can be seen pretty close and in reasonable numbers if you park at Cutthroat Bridge SK212872 and take the path towards Whinstone Lee Tor; will be good for Ring Ouzel and Stonechat in a couple of weeks as well ( Black Grouse; intros) are nearby.
As for Red Kites, I had two seperate birds in a day last year and they wouldnt put them out either; bit puzzling as one of them was over St Alkmonds church in the middle of Derby!!

Hi Martin
Thanks for the Red Grouse tip I will defimitely check that location out. You know I thought I saw a Black Grouse when coming off Bleaklow but wasn't 100% sure.
Quite a co-inscidence seeing you at Willington this evening and good to meet you.
Speaking of coincidences my brother lives in Ticknall and always spoke of a good wildlife photographer who was his neighbour and seeing your forum name, unless I am very much mistaken I reckon that must be you?

Steve

Hi Steve

Good to meet you; a 'good wildlife photographer'; yep, sounds like me!!!; your brother must be Dave (an artist in metal) Tucker; if so he was a very good neighbour, and excellent cyclist; still see him and Sarah occasionally; no sign of the Bittern tonight and just to rub salt into the wound, Dipper rang to tell me he was watching an Iceland Gull at Foremark (the only day this month i havent done the roost!!!!)

Thanks for the heads up on the Kite Dave. Me and RJT had a good look round Bessalone but it must have dropped over the other side of the valley. Thats 3 I have now missed over the house in 6 months!
Had the morning round the local area and had Hawfinch at Cromford Meadows, 4 Dipper (2 collecting moss and seemingly building under the bridge) and Raven. There were 3 Greater Peckers displaying around the car park. There had been 8 Hawfinch in the church yard, seen by Richard James, Barrie, Anita, Tony etc. MAP turned up and said there had been loads of Crossbill at Bottom Moor. Moved up to Hellbank plantation on Beeley and had plenty of Crossbill there including several on the deck eating fallen cones. Then Wraggs Quarry for the GG Shrike which eventually showed well. A local pair of Gos performed well just before lunch. Finished with Sprawks displaying and Buzzard literally every where. Great morning and Spring ain't here yet......

Hi Steve

Good to meet you; a 'good wildlife photographer'; yep, sounds like me!!!; your brother must be Dave (an artist in metal) Tucker; if so he was a very good neighbour, and excellent cyclist; still see him and Sarah occasionally; no sign of the Bittern tonight and just to rub salt into the wound, Dipper rang to tell me he was watching an Iceland Gull at Foremark (the only day this month i havent done the roost!!!!)

Yes thats him, small world. Sorry the Bittern didn't show. Next time maybe.

Steve

Recent Pics

In the garden I noticed one of the Male Greenfinches is bearing a ring, but no matter how I enlarge the pics I cannot read it! Just wish I knew where they came from.......
The Long Tails were in and out of a log with suet in it but never stood still.....
The Great Grey Shrike gives an idea of distance - I have seen it close at Wraggs Quarry but on Saturday it was perching up well out on the moor.

Attachments

• Greenfinch.JPG
    Greenfinch.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Goldfinch (Medium).JPG
    Goldfinch (Medium).JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 54
  • LT Tit (Medium).JPG
    LT Tit (Medium).JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 48
  • GS Pecker (Medium).JPG
    GS Pecker (Medium).JPG
    67 KB · Views: 43
  • GG Shrike (Medium).JPG
    GG Shrike (Medium).JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 67
cromford Dan , down stream of the road bridge and willersley castle. No Hawfinch shots?

spot on! but would have been disappointed if you hadnt Clive!

Hawfinch were not really photographable in the church and the one we did have up in the trees at Willersley flew before any chance.

your not making it very tough as putting the cursor over the pic tells you where it is!!!! or was it a joke...?

mmmmmm............im not clever enough to make it a joke! despite thats what seems to have happened to my quiz.......:-C

I will try harder next time!

Mind you, Clive didnt come clean first up! but I suppose it is his patch....:t:

10 Hawfinch, on the ground under the beech tree in the Rugby Club car park, Cromford. Gave stunning views 07:45 to 09:00.

Wyver Lane Bird Notes
February 2012

Highlights include: Returning Waders, Red Kite, Crossbill, Yellowhammer
and Raven.

Wildfowl counts for February include 10 Cormorants on 11th, a Grey Heron
on several dates, 2 Mute Swans all month, 93 Canada Geese on 19th, c65
Greylag Geese on 19th, a Shelduck from 24th, 8 Mandarin on 13th and 18th,
18 Wigeon on 27th and 29th, a female Gadwall from the 18th, 17 Teal on
19th, 39 Mallard on 14th, 6 Shoveler on 19th and 20th, 5 Pochard on 18th
and 19th, 14 Tufted Duck on 26th, pair of Goldeneye on 18th and 19th, 15
Goosander on 19th and 15 Coot on 26th and 27th.

A Red Kite was seen from the hide on the 25th before slowly drifting east,
5 Buzzards on 27th, a female Peregrine on 11th, a Kestrel on 15th, 18th and
23rd and Sparrowhawk on 13th, 19th, 23rd and 27th.

2 Oystercatchers were noted on 19th. This equals the earliest returning
Oystercatcher for Wyver, when in 2010 a single bird also arrived on Feb 19th.
4 Curlew were brief visitors on 23rd, landing near the upper pool before
leaving. 31 Lapwing on 23rd and 2 Snipe on 20th.

Other notable records this month include 450 Black-headed Gulls on 25th, 3
Common Gull on 19th, a Little Owl on 14th, 2 Stock Doves on several dates,
3 Skylark over on 27th and 5 over on 23d, 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers on
27th, a Green Woodpecker on many dates, 2 Crossbills flew over the viewing
mound on 23rd, 62 Carrion Crow on 11th, 2 Raven all month, 9 Magpies on
27th, 3 Jay on 27th, 65 Redwing on 27th, 40 Goldfinch on 23rd, 10 Siskin on
23rd, 3 Bullfinch on 29th, a Yelllowhammer on 25th and 3 Reed Buntings on
2nd.

Got a text from Dave this morning to say the Pink Feet at Wyver had increased to 7 so wandered through the wood with scope to get a view......couldnt see them as they had moved out of view, but was met with a romantic sight of Dave and Chris strolling hand in hand back down the lane to the mound.....;-).....quick chat re whats about and then I had to set off to work.

Got to Crich Lane crossroads and Dave rang (I cut off the other Director I was talking to as it just had to be good news!)......"Red Kite over Dunge Wood again!"......nice one Dave.

One illegal U turn later and I was bouncing back down Broadholme picking up directions from Dave......never easy when trying to get a view.....jumped out....."where the f*ck is it"......I could see Dave and Chris and they were watching it......then suddenley there it was.....right over me, fantastic view with Buzzard and crows for company.

Phoned Richard - school boy error, phone switched off.....tried home and spoke to Mrs T who was going to look for it and hopefully grip him off! Phoned Brian to say it might go his way, and he said he had seen one at Hulland Ward on wednesday (he doesnt send records in). Text Steph and Des just in case.....

It must be lingering - Dave has had 3 sightings in 13 days, so I bet we have missed some too. Would be great to see them nest in our area.

Hi all; During the last two weeks of May, along with Keith 'Dipper' Lyon, i will be cycling from Lands End to John o Groats in aid of Cancer Research UK; our route will be via Lizard-Dartmoor-Dawlish Coast-Aylesbeare Common-Somerset Levels-Salisbury Plain-Calke Park-Beeley-Sherwood Forest-Crowle Waste-Blacktoft Sands-North York Moors-Seal Sands-Northumberland Nat Park-Loch Leven-Cairngorms-Loch Fleet-Caithness Flows and Dunnet Head; We will be birding as we go and hope to see in excess of 200 species and cover over 1100miles.
If you would like to sponsor us please visit 'Just Giving' and type Martin Roome in the sponsor a friend box.
Any donations woul be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back