• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (13 Viewers)

Hi all; During the last two weeks of May, along with Keith 'Dipper' Lyon, i will be cycling from Lands End to John o Groats in aid of Cancer Research UK; our route will be via Lizard-Dartmoor-Dawlish Coast-Aylesbeare Common-Somerset Levels-Salisbury Plain-Calke Park-Beeley-Sherwood Forest-Crowle Waste-Blacktoft Sands-North York Moors-Seal Sands-Northumberland Nat Park-Loch Leven-Cairngorms-Loch Fleet-Caithness Flows and Dunnet Head; We will be birding as we go and hope to see in excess of 200 species and cover over 1100miles.
If you would like to sponsor us please visit 'Just Giving' and type Martin Roome in the sponsor a friend box.
Any donations woul be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Martin

Hope your taking Dippers pager off him for the fortnight Martin, or you could find your support vehicle a few hundred miles away if a mega comes up.

Here is the link to Martins sponsorship page on Just Giving http://www.runningsponsorme.org/landsendtojohnogroatsthehardway

Good luck

John

Hi John
Thanks for the sponsorship and the link; training run to 4mk tonight was rewarded with a 2w Iceland and a pair of ad Meds with ad Caspian in support.
ATB
Martin

is erewash meadows also known as aldercar as im gonna pop down to look for those gargany in the morning and i want to be sure im looking in the right place ....

Looks like another nice day warming up today too. Had several butterflies through the garden (all common species) but not lingering as very little for them to go at currently.
Ladybirds are plentiful, almost all 7 spots but also groups of dark harlequins, and a Shield Bug sp dropped on my head at some stage. At night a Leopard slug was making its way up the front of the house.
Had a few hours round Carsington yesterday and counted 22 Barnacle Geese, Redshank, 2 Oystercatchers, lots of Buzzards up and plenty of common birds in spring song along with my first lonely Sand Martin. The ditch near the wildlife centre had 22 croaking frogs in it and loads of spawn. Plenty of large Bumblebees on the move, albeit rather lethargic.

I am on toad duty tonight on Crich Lane - Rob has been busy the past three nights despite it being so dry as they are all on the move.

Brambling still in Crich Lane woods and plenty of Buzzards stretching their wings.

i went down to what i presume was erewash this morning, time was against me so i didnt walk far and no sign of the garganey i went down stoney lane and walked from there.....thx for the link though sam

Hi John
Thanks for the sponsorship and the link; training run to 4mk tonight was rewarded with a 2w Iceland and a pair of ad Meds with ad Caspian in support.
ATB
Martin

The Med Gulls were at Willington on Friday evening to 16.50 then flew to 4Mark where Dipper had them at 17.25

For anybody not aware the Snow Bunting that was reported at Carsington on Jan 8th was genuine. The person who took the photos has now come forward with several shots of an obvious male Snow Bunt under the Wildlife Centre feeders. I have the photos but without the permission of the photographer I can't put them on here.

Still Brambling in the garden with lots of other Finches, Reed Buntings and a pair of Greater Spotted Woodpeckers taking suet pellets. The female is ringed and I would love to know where she's come from. We don't see ringing activity up here. Also the male Greenfinch with a ring is still present.

Done Drakelow this morning for the first time. Best was 15 Sand Martin, tons of Cormorants with many young in the nests, 20+ Shoveler, 26 Gadwall, 8 Goldeneye, 101 Tufted Duck, 2 Shelduck, 2 Oycs and a Snipe.

Then went on to Willington. Had a quick look from P2 where to our surprise was an adult Kittiwake on the water. We then learned that there had been 4 in the morning. Also had 20 Shoveler, 6 Shelduck, 19 Goosander, Water Rail, 2 Redshank, 8 Sand Martins, 3 Oycs, 11 Curlew and 2 Cetti's Warblers.

Dave H had 6 Whoopers today at Loscoe Dam which showed well.

I had cause to work from home today so kept an eye on the feeders - the usual Finches and Tits came and went, along with Greater Peckers, Nuthatch, 3 Reed Buntings, then as the sun broke through a pair of Brambling and 5 Lesser Redpoll dropped in on the nyjer feeder............its the most I have seen since being here, easily beating last winters single bird.

There was also interesting news of an adult Otter at Eyes Meadow, Duffield which brings hope for more sightings further north in Belper.

Family party of Whoopers on Loscoe Dam was a welcome diversion on the way down to see the Rams win again........will post photos later. Dave tells me there are six at Cari this evening so possibly same family.

Still no news on the mysterious big raptor potentially dwelling in the old american adventure area.......Rodney is discussing a possible WTE on DOS site.

Still Brambling in the garden which is nice along with the regular stuff. Chiffy singing at Bessalone and 2 Yellowhammer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back