• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (17 Viewers)

Has the cold snap stopped the new migrants? I'm in Majorca and there are loads of birds seemingly "stockpiled" before making the next leg of the journey. Albufera is packed with swifts and hirundines, waders (loads of summer plum Spotshanks), Garganey, Ospreys, Hobbies, Turtle Doves, Nightingales etc etc.
Still takes some getting used to that Cettis is the most common bird locally!

Has the cold snap stopped the new migrants? I'm in Majorca and there are loads of birds seemingly "stockpiled" before making the next leg of the journey. Albufera is packed with swifts and hirundines, waders (loads of summer plum Spotshanks), Garganey, Ospreys, Hobbies, Turtle Doves, Nightingales etc etc.
Still takes some getting used to that Cettis is the most common bird locally!

Certainly slow going Dan, though Roger had Osprey and Willow Warbler at carsi yesterday.

Certainly slow going Dan, though Roger had Osprey and Willow Warbler at carsi yesterday.

Had loads of pics this morning from mates at home showing a foot of snow! Is it that bad or am I being tricked?!
I feel for all those Toads we helped move now.....

Got on Albufera first light and left as the heat haze started.....bumped into two Notts birders who were just turning up and asked where they can get a full English first! :-O

I bet they saw half what I did with heat haze and the hides filling up with big lenses!
There's no sign of anything being in too much of a hurry to set off.......I wonder how they know.....

Had loads of pics this morning from mates at home showing a foot of snow! Is it that bad or am I being tricked?!
I feel for all those Toads we helped move now.....

Got on Albufera first light and left as the heat haze started.....bumped into two Notts birders who were just turning up and asked where they can get a full English first! :-O

I bet they saw half what I did with heat haze and the hides filling up with big lenses!
There's no sign of anything being in too much of a hurry to set off.......I wonder how they know.....

There's been about 2 inches of snow here in Belper. Although I suspect there will be a bit more in the high peaks. It's already starting to melt a little though.

There's been about 2 inches of snow here in Belper. Although I suspect there will be a bit more in the high peaks. It's already starting to melt a little though.

This from buxton weather site...

-WE HAVE ABOUT 170MM (7") OF SNOW HERE !! - Local roads around the town are totally impassable. MAIN ROADS - A54 Congleton, A53 Leek Road , A537 Cat & Fiddle, A515 Ashbourne, A623 Sparrowpit are all CLOSED.
LATEST REPORTS IN TODAY: - "Roads around Wormhill and towards A6 totally impassable - drifts higher than my pickup truck" (thank you David Hilton), " Sat on Fairfield road since 7.15am due to standing traffic over the common
due to a jack knifed lorry. Went to Buxon train station at 9.10 but the 8.27train hadn't got into Buxton as there were delays with the trains getting into Buxton from Hazel Grove. All network Rail could say was that there were long delays.- AND - Rd to Whaley impassable from the edge of Buxton.A6 North stationary for the last half hour" (Thank you Dawn Batty @ 10.05). A54 from Buxton up to Junction with A537 passable with care. Continuing on A54 to Congleton is a complete nightmare, there are cars and wagons stuck all over the place. There is a Co-Op wagon completely blocking the road further on. Do not attempt without a 4 by 4." Thank you Neil @ 09.35. "A515 don't bother - roads are fine for cars, but blocked by trucks and trucks and trucks.... etc. Same goes for topley pike A6 on the way to Bakewell - seems to be something more severe blocking the road at the top. Gave up waiting after half an hour" Thank you David Kidd @ 09.10. "Parsley Hay A515 -nothing moving" (Thank you Christine @ 08.50). "A53 Ladmanlow blizzards - HGV's stuck" (Thank you David Owen @ 08.00). Again "A53 very heavy snow - road blocked" (Thank you Dean Thornley @ 06.30. Cat & Fiddle A537 @ 04.40 "combination of road and weather conditions. The horizontal snow and blowing snow (from fine snow off the drifts) occasionally reduce the visibility to zero, I had to come to a standstill on a few times whilst I waited for the wind to abate enough to let me see the way forward" (Thank you Jon Hewitt)

There's been another Osprey at Carsi this afternoon/evening. It was seen with a fish at 16.20 being mobbed by Bh Gulls and an Oyc. It was then seen again 3 hours later flying around Hopton Arm and then it went to roost in a tree near Lane End hide. The Great Northern Diver is still present together with 2 Ruff.

Roomey

Went to Cutthroat yesterday as per your suggestion.Plenty of red grouse about and got some great pics in the snow. Also some Curlew and a few Golden Plover.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Arnie; luckily for me i viewed it from a different angle to everybody else and could see it was a cardboard cut-out nailed to the Osprey perch3:); bloody convincincing though, when viewed from P4 .Worth a look (b4 Dicky the Phrag has it removed under some obscure bye-law) just to see if you would have been taken in!!
Apparently some birders ticked it and left!!

Cheers

Martin

Went to Carsington today but it was extremely quiet. Did not see the Great-Northern Diver or Little-ringed Plover. Highlights were all on or by the feeders at Paul Stanley including 2 Willow Tits, Nuthatch and Goldcrest.

Half decent day at Carsington today (sorry Simmo). I didn't see the Osprey though that had roosted overnight. It was last seen at 06.50 this morning, way before I got there.

21 Meadow Pipits and a Wheatear on the Dam Wall. 2 Skylark over. Then probably the same Wheatear on Stones Island with a Ruff also there. Little Ringed Plover in front of Watersports.

19 Barnacle Geese around Stones and 3 Swallows. Then from Sheepwash Hide-Eventually found the G.N.Diver. It's now starting to moult into adult summer. 8+ Buzzards, Peregrine, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, 2 Grey Herons and 2 Raven.

At least 12 Oystercatchers and 6 Redshank on site. 19 Chiff Chaff and 5 Blackcap between Millfields and Sheepwash.

Half decent day at Carsington today (sorry Simmo). I didn't see the Osprey though that had roosted overnight. It was last seen at 06.50 this morning, way before I got there.

21 Meadow Pipits and a Wheatear on the Dam Wall. 2 Skylark over. Then probably the same Wheatear on Stones Island with a Ruff also there. Little Ringed Plover in front of Watersports.

19 Barnacle Geese around Stones and 3 Swallows. Then from Sheepwash Hide-Eventually found the G.N.Diver. It's now starting to moult into adult summer. 8+ Buzzards, Peregrine, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, 2 Grey Herons and 2 Raven.

At least 12 Oystercatchers and 6 Redshank on site. 19 Chiff Chaff and 5 Blackcap between Millfields and Sheepwash.

Well done Dave. That is the way it goes sometimes. I suppose it wasn't too bad and forgot to say I saw a Willow Warbler between Sheepwash and Lane End.

Still nice to be out,

Oliver

Well done Dave. That is the way it goes sometimes. I suppose it wasn't too bad and forgot to say I saw a Willow Warbler between Sheepwash and Lane End.

Still nice to be out,

Oliver

Well you got something I didn't get today, a Willow Warbler. I think I might have spoken to you in Sheepwash Hide this morning. I remember speaking to a young lad with a scope briefly. Was that you?

A couple of new birds for the year down Wyver today. One expected and the other not so. The first one was 2 House Martins that were present amongst 18 Sand Martins and 4 Swallows. The second was a Red-legged Partridge that was just beyond the upper pool near the top marsh. A while later another birder who I spoke to also saw one near the hide. So the one I saw either flew towards the hide or a second bird was involved.

Otherwise it's pretty much as you were with nearly everything in 2's. 2 Little Grebes, 2 Shelduck, 2 Shoveler, 2 Gadwall, 2 Wigeon, 2 Oystercatchers, 2 Peregrine, 2 Sparrowhawks, 2 Kestrel and 2 Pied Wagtails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back