• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (18 Viewers)

No Ring Ouzels Martin, just the Grouse, Curlews and Plovers and a few Rock Pippits.

Steve, I suspect the Pipits were Meadow and not Rock. Meadow Pipits are plentiful up there and Rock Pipits would certainly be a rarity at Cutthroat Bridge. .

Last edited:
Ring Ouzels were plentiful at Cutthroat Bridge on Sunday, only had 45 minutes and just walked to the corner where you look up the gulley on the right of the path, but saw at least 4 and possibly as many as 7 depending on which were repeat sightings of the same birds.

Steve, I suspect the Pipits were Meadow and not Rock. Meadow Pipits are plentiful up there and Rock Pipits would certainly be a rarity at Cutthroat Bridge. .

Dave

I am sure you are right and thanks for the info but to be sure, here's a couple of record shots

Attachments

• Pipit record.jpg
    Pipit record.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Pipit record-2.jpg
    Pipit record-2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 53
Ospreys are being seen almost daily at Carsington.
I had one at 07:00 today and another at 17:00, I recon it was the same bird as it took a trout in exactly the same spot.

Hi Steve; def Meadow Pips; warm buffy ground colour; nice shots though; Thanks for ROuzel info Mark; will bike up on Friday and hope to get lucky.
ATB
Martin

Ring Ouzels were plentiful at Cutthroat Bridge on Sunday, only had 45 minutes and just walked to the corner where you look up the gulley on the right of the path, but saw at least 4 and possibly as many as 7 depending on which were repeat sightings of the same birds.

I was told there were dippers thereabouts, perhaps they mistook the Ring Ouzels?

Hi Steve; def Meadow Pips; warm buffy ground colour; nice shots though; Thanks for ROuzel info Mark; will bike up on Friday and hope to get lucky.
ATB
Martin

Cheers Martin hope you see the RO's

Can anyone tell me what sort of plumage the GND at Carsington water is in presently, haven't seen one at this time of year before, many thanks Steve

Hi Steve, it's coming into summer plumage, should be in full by the end of the month I guess. Infact Dave took a few decent photos this morning, which I am sure he will post later.

Can anyone tell me what sort of plumage the GND at Carsington water is in presently, haven't seen one at this time of year before, many thanks Steve

Hi Steve, it's coming into summer plumage, should be in full by the end of the month I guess. Infact Dave took a few decent photos this morning, which I am sure he will post later.

Yes, we were lucky that the GND was very close off the Dam Wall first thing this morning so I managed to get these digi scoped shots.

Attachments

• SNV38322.jpg
    SNV38322.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 58
  • SNV38337.jpg
    SNV38337.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 57
  • SNV38342.jpg
    SNV38342.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 103
  • SNV38346.jpg
    SNV38346.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 59
Managed to get 2M Ring Ouzels, a F Merlin and a pair of Stonechats at Cutthroat on Friday plus several pairs of Mandarin scattered down the Derwent Valley; plus my earliest (by 8 days) Swift at Willington yesterday.

ATB

Still 5+ Wheatear at Harboro rocks, plus a pair of Redstarts and c50 Fieldfare.
200+ Fieldfare on Brassington football pitch.
Carsington still quiet.. pair of Shelduck, Wheatear and a female Redstart reported.

Still 5+ Wheatear at Harboro rocks, plus a pair of Redstarts and c50 Fieldfare.
200+ Fieldfare on Brassington football pitch.
Carsington still quiet.. pair of Shelduck, Wheatear and a female Redstart reported.

Nice one mate. Should be up the res tomorrow. Did it say where the Redstart was? I see there was a report of a Scaup at Carsi yesterday. There has been a white faced Tuftie at the same location....just sayin'.

Nice one mate. Should be up the res tomorrow. Did it say where the Redstart was? I see there was a report of a Scaup at Carsi yesterday. There has been a white faced Tuftie at the same location....just sayin'.

Redstart was a female, in the field with the Sand Martin wall. Though me and RC checked a bit later we couldn't find it.
RC is not convinced about the Scaup, the finder did not state what sex it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back