• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (4 Viewers)

Dusky back at Beeley this morning in the orchard. Long-tailed Duck still at Long Eaton GP's on Rifle Range Pit. 2 Velvet Scoters at Staunton Harold yesterday.

Dusky Thrush still at Beeley either in the orchard or fields near the orchard. Long-tailed Duck still at Long Eaton GP's. The 2 Velvet Scoters still present at Staunton Harold off the dam and an adult Caspian Gull at Willington.

At last we have a Great Northern Diver at Carsington. An adult off Stones Island is one of the latest to arrive in recent times. Also present Ruff, 2 Redshank, 8 Dunlin, 280 Golden Plover, 48 Snipe, Cetti's Warbler, 5 Goosander and Kingfisher. The 2 Velvet Scoters are still at Staunton Harold off the dam.

Dusky Thrush still at Beeley either in the orchard or fields near the orchard. Long-tailed Duck still at Long Eaton GP's. The 2 Velvet Scoters still present at Staunton Harold off the dam and an adult Caspian Gull at Willington.

Hi,. This is my first opportunity to see the Dusky Thrush but I know the Dukes Barn car park's now closed for few days. I'm aiming to get down to Beeley at around 8 tomorrow. Any advice on best ways to see it for someone who doesn't know the area at all?

Thanks,
Julian

Hi,. This is my first opportunity to see the Dusky Thrush but I know the Dukes Barn car park's now closed for few days. I'm aiming to get down to Beeley at around 8 tomorrow. Any advice on best ways to see it for someone who doesn't know the area at all?

Thanks,
Julian

Dukes barn is in school lane , fields are directly behind dukes, there is a footpath leading to fields , school lane leads to pig lane path entrance is on right , bird favours first two fields, no doubt there will be a few birders about, hope this helps

Dukes barn is in school lane , fields are directly behind dukes, there is a footpath leading to fields , school lane leads to pig lane path entrance is on right , bird favours first two fields, no doubt there will be a few birders about, hope this helps

Many thanks - I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hooded Crow Harewood Moor at Uppertown in field by Alicehead Road near Cullembell Lane junction for 2nd day. Park in layby on Cullembell Lane SK325665.

Black Redstart Sinfin still at Sinfin Moor at Infinity Parkway/Sinfin Moor Lane.

Hooded Crow and Black Redstart still present. For info see post below.

Adult Great Northern Diver still at Carsington. Also 8 Barnacle Geese. 7 Wigeon including a pair displaying. 1 Pochard. 4 Goldeneye. Pair Goosander, 7 Common Buzzard. Single Jack Snipe, Woodcock and Water Rail at Hopton reedbed first thing. 41 Curlew. The Ruff still at WLC. 1 Dunlin. 2 Redshank. Ad GBbG. 4 Herring Gull. 3 Stock Dove. 2 Tawny Owls calling at Hopton first thing. 1 Kingfisher at Millfields. 22 Carrion Crows at Millfields and 14 at WLC creek. 1 Raven. 8 Skylark going in random directions. Cetti's Warbler and Redwing singing on Stones. 180 Starling. 5 Mistle Thrush. 5 Meadow Pipit. 11 Grey Wags out of Hopton reedbed early morning. 2 Linnet. 3 Lesser Redpoll. 7 Siskin. 8 singing Reed Buntings.

Currently 41 Whooper Swans at Ogston off the west bank. Adult Great Northern Diver still at Carsington plus 2 Jack Snipe in Hopton reedbed. 10 Whooper Swans at Long Eaton GP's on Rifle Range Pit. 40 Waxwings at Ambergate opposite Hurt Arms pub.

Black-necked Grebe at Carsington this evening off the dam wall plus 2 1st winter Yellow legged Gulls in the roost per John Bradley.

A site record 23 Buzzards in the air at Carsington this morning. The adult Great Northern Diver still. Also Whooper Swan, 2 LRP, 2 Sand Martins, 2 Red-legged Partridge and a single Crossbill.

At Long Dale near Hartington 9 Wheatears including 7 males with some singing.

Adult GND still at Carsington this morning. Also 4 Gadwall, 3 Wigeon, 3 Shoveler and 13 Fieldfare over. Wheatear at Harborough Rocks.

Cattle Egret at Poolsbrook Marsh. From M1 j29a follow A6192 N for 1ml and view pool on right opposite 1st left turning to Poolsbrook village.

Sandwich Tern through Carsington this morning and GN Diver still. Male Redstart yesterday + the Turnstone still.

Quite a remarkable sight down Wyver yesterday evening. A quick scan around the pool on our arrival didn't reveal anything different. But after a quick look in the log book there was a record of male and female Garganey for earlier in the day. To be honest we were a bit sceptical as Garganey are mega rare on Wyver.
In fact, they are that rare that in over 15 years of birding Wyver I've only ever seen one. And that was a bird that Chris found 02/08/2010.

I had always longed for a nice spring male but every year I've been left disappointed. Chris and me both scanned the pool again and still didn't see anything of note. Then a short while later I looked into the extreme left hand corner of the main pool and saw a small group of 4 ducks. Almost in disbelief I saw a stonking male with 3 females. I quickly told Chris and we both enjoyed prolonged views as they almost continually fed. We put the news out and about half a dozen birders came down to enjoy them.

It is without doubt a record count for Wyver. The previous best count was 2. There have been about 15 records at Wyver but with several of those involving the same bird there are around 7 records in reality. In fact it's probably one of the best spring counts for Derbyshire. Looking through the Birds of Derbyshire (Frost & Shaw) most of the bigger counts of between 4 & 7 tend to be in autumn.

As dusk approached they looked to be getting a bit restless. At around 20.30 the male started calling and at 20.37 in the gloom they all flew off. Fantastic record for Wyver and it makes all those hours of seeing nothing somehow worth it.

Anything else is a bit of a comedown but the best of the rest was 2 Herons, 31 Teal, 2 Shelduck, 8+ Gadwall, 11 Tufties, 4 Goosander, 2 Oycs, 20 Snipe, 10 Lapwings, 2 Curlew over, 11 Coot, 7 Moorhen, 7+ Swallow, 15 BH Gulls, 3 Chiffchaff and a singing Goldcrest.

Adult GN Diver still at Carsington + a Redstart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back