• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (9 Viewers)

Adult Great Northern Diver still at Carsington this morning + 15 Barnacle Geese, 3 Ringed Plover, 4 LRP, Common Sand, Snipe, Yellow Wagtail, c60 Sand Martins, c20 Swallows and a House Martin.

Male Bearded Tit again at Carr Vale from the mound before flying high SE at 09.20.

Hoopoe this afternoon 1.5mls ESE of Holmewood at Stainsby. Park at farm and take footpath east from just south of farm to far hedge and view log pile behind farm.

Spoonbill flew through Willington this morning, plus 3 Arctic Terns briefly.

Still 8 Waxwings at Ogston feeding on berries at Brackenfield Church. Also 2 drake Common Scoters, Blackwit and a Whimbrel.

Arctic Tern flew through Carr Vale at 10.15 + a 1st winter Little Gull at 08.25.

Adult GN Diver still Carsington + 2 Red-crested Pochard, 2 Ringed Plover, 11 Dunlin, Blackwit, 2 Curlew, 2 Common Sands and 2 Raven.

No sign of the Hoopoe this morning.
8 Waxwings still at Ogston at Brackenfield Church/Church Farm in ivy covered ash.

Up to 29 Arctic Terns at Carsington this morning. Plus the adult Great Northern Diver in summer plumage flying around and calling, 3 Black Terns, Grey Plover, 6 Sanderling, Turnstone, 7 Dunlin and a White Wagtail.

Yesterday there were 18 Common Scoter, 10 Black Terns, 4 Little Terns, 5 Common Terns, Grey Plover, c20 Dunlin, 11 Whimbrel, Greenshank, Ruff, Bar-tailed Godwit, and 10 Sanderling which is a site record following 8 in 1995 and 2013.

3 Wheatear at Pride Park Sanctuary this morning. 2 Waxwings still at Ogston in Brackenfield Church. Plus Ruff, Greenshank, 3 Dunlin, Yellow and White Wag.

7 Arctic Terns at Church Wilne Res (permit only).

4 Black Terns and a Bar-tailed Godwit at Willington.

3 Ring Ouzel and a Turnstone at Middleton Moor.

Probable Iberian Chiffchaff male singing north of Clowne west of A618 + south of A619 at Forrest's Plantation this afternoon cSK 490 766

Black-necked Grebe at Pleasley Pit, at crack of dawn this morning. Bit different to the girl on the lilo who was swimming around the other evening!

Honey Buzzard through Ogston this morning is the 2nd there in a week. Osprey over Erewash Meadows this morning for its 2nd day. Talking of Ospreys, I had one through Wyver last night. The first record since June 2012. Pair of Shelduck still with 5 young.

Honey Buzzard through Ogston this morning is the 2nd there in a week. Osprey over Erewash Meadows this morning for its 2nd day. Talking of Ospreys, I had one through Wyver last night. The first record since June 2012. Pair of Shelduck still with 5 young.

I'm gripped with your Osprey Dave, maybe I'll get lucky here one day. Only thing of note recently (apart from breeders) was a Red Kite on Friday. Was sat having a coffee when it came down the garden at a height of c20 feet and over my lean-to (hide) and on to the 'peewit' field where it was 'mobbed away' after some 10 minutes. About an hour later the Kite did a 'stoop dive' in the vicinity of my neighbours garden (have several mature trees obstructing the view) where there is a (large) chicken pen, I ambled the 100 yards down there with camera in hand but everything appeared normal. Just had a word with my neighbour and when he arrived home there were white feathers (Sussex bantams) in and around the pen which he thought was the local foxes at it again.

Black-necked Grebe at Willington GP's today from the hide. Also 2 Black-tailed Godwits at Carr Vale this morning. 6 Common Sands at Wyver last night is the best count since 21/07/1987. Also a juv Yellow Wag just before I left is probably my 1st july record at Wyver.

3 Common Scoter at Carsington this morning, plus 7 Yellow Wags, Wheatear, Whimbrel, Blackwit and Greenshank. Juv Marsh Harrier thru Ogston plus 2 Greenshank, Yellow Wag, Hobby and 6 Little Egrets. Greenshank at Middleton Moor.

Depsite being down Wyver until 21.00 last night I failed to see the Barn Owl, although Dan had it from the viewing mound. Dan also had a Little Owl and a Hobby from there. That will teach me for being in the hide counting Mallard....of which over 90 came in to roost. I did hear Tawny though so 3 species of Owl isn't bad. 29 Teal and a Shoveler being the only other things of note on the pool.

3 redhead Goosanders flew north at 19.50. c60 House Martins and c20 Swallows feeding around the reserve. A walk down the lane revealed c70 Goldfinch and 4 Chiffchaffs.

John Bradley had a juv Spotted Redshank at Carsington last night. The fisrt record here since Aug 2015.

No sign of the Spot Shank at Carsi this afternoon. 2 RC Pochard at the Wildlife Centre and up to 7 Little Egrets on site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back