• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (2 Viewers)

Just had a Green Winged Teal flushed South with Teal flock from floodwater at Kilburn NR (just off the A609 at Rawson Green).

Will have a look at Abbey Hill for it now.

Matt

Just had a Green Winged Teal flushed South with Teal flock from floodwater at Kilburn NR (just off the A609 at Rawson Green).

Will have a look at Abbey Hill for it now.

Matt

Nice one, Matt. I hadn't intended on going out but might check Wyver just in case.

No further sign of the Green-winged Teal yesterday. I checked Wyver to no avail and somebody I know checked Kilburn later in the day to see if it had returned but it hadn't.

Adult Caspian Gull at Carsington last night along with an adult Med and 5 Yellow-legged Gulls per JB.

I also had the ad Med on Friday night so it might be seen regularly in the roost.
On Friday I also had a ringed BH Gull. Not definite yet but it looks like a bird ringed in Norway.

The Middleton Moor Starling roost is estimated to be between 100'000 and 150'000 birds. Although many of these were apparently going straight in to the roost so not much of a murmuration. Still an impressive sight I would imagine. This was last night so it could be well worth a visit.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Starlings, Dave. I must try to get up there soon.

Pretty certain I saw two adult male Scaup on the Chatsworth lakes today. Not close enough for fine bill detail but looked right in all respects.

I heard last night of the death of Carsington Bird Club committee member Dave Edmonds. I met Dave a few times and found him a very good humoured and amiable chap. He will be sorely missed by many. All the best to his wife Sue and the rest of his family. This taken from the Carsington website.....

It is with great sadness that we have to report the death of CBC committee member Dave Edmonds who was until very recently, along with his wife Sue, our joint membership secretary. Dave was a keen birder, who livened up a room with his inquisitive nature and enthusiasm for the subject. He will be sorely missed.

As well as a member of his local bird club, Dave’s wider love of wildlife was illustrated by his commitment to Birdlife Malta, an organisation focused on stopping the annual slaughter of tens of thousands of birds by local hunters. Not only did Dave talk to the club about this, convincing us to become ‘corporate’ members and subscribe much-needed funds, but he and Sue devoted some of their personal holiday time most years on the island to support the cause.

Dave’s funeral is taking place at Ashbourne Bowls Club at 12 noon, on Thursday, 4 December.

I heard last night of the death of Carsington Bird Club committee member Dave Edmonds. I met Dave a few times and found him a very good humoured and amiable chap. He will be sorely missed by many. All the best to his wife Sue and the rest of his family. This taken from the Carsington website.....

It is with great sadness that we have to report the death of CBC committee member Dave Edmonds who was until very recently, along with his wife Sue, our joint membership secretary. Dave was a keen birder, who livened up a room with his inquisitive nature and enthusiasm for the subject. He will be sorely missed.

As well as a member of his local bird club, Dave’s wider love of wildlife was illustrated by his commitment to Birdlife Malta, an organisation focused on stopping the annual slaughter of tens of thousands of birds by local hunters. Not only did Dave talk to the club about this, convincing us to become ‘corporate’ members and subscribe much-needed funds, but he and Sue devoted some of their personal holiday time most years on the island to support the cause.

Dave’s funeral is taking place at Ashbourne Bowls Club at 12 noon, on Thursday, 4 December.

Very sad news indeed Dave - best wishes to the family.

Finally read the ring on the Greater Pecker female that feeds in the garden and nests opposite us.
They told me they rely heavily on re traps and dead birds so were interested to see how we did this - pieced together over many quick views, wishing it would sit still, through a 60x scope! Not easy.....

03 December 2014
Dear Daniel Martin
Thank you for taking the time to report to us details of a bird ring you found. Information about this bird and its movements is given below.
Ringing Scheme: London Ring Number: LC39103 Species of bird: Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major)
This bird was ringed by J M McMeeking as age 1st year, sex unknown on 25-Aug-2010 18:00:00 at Darlton, Nottinghamshire, UK
OS Map reference SK7773 accuracy 0, co-ordinates 53deg 15min N 0deg 51min W accuracy 2.
It was found on 23-Oct-2014 time unknown at Belper, Derbyshire, UK
OS Map reference SK3548 accuracy 0, co-ordinates 53deg 2min N 1deg 29min W accuracy 0.
Finding condition: Sight record by non-ringer
Finding circumstances: Field Record
Extra Information: Reported as LC3910_
It was found 1520 days after it was ringed, 49 km from the ringing site, direction WSW.
Bird Ringing in Britain & Ireland is organised by the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO). Each year over 900,000 birds are ringed by over 2,500 highly trained bird ringers, most of whom are volunteers. They follow a careful training process that can take several years to complete to ensure that they have the necessary skills to catch and ring birds. The bird’s welfare is always the most important consideration during ringing activities.
Ringing began over 100 years ago to study the movements of birds. While it continues to generate information about movements, it also allows us to study how many young birds leave the nest and survive to breed as adults, as well as how many adults live from year to year and how many birds disperse to different breeding sites. Collection of this information helps us to understand why bird populations increase or decrease − vital information for conservation. Details of how many birds have been caught and where and when they have been found are available on the BTO website at www.bto.org/ringing-report.
Some interesting facts discovered from ringing data....
Oldest bird – Manx shearwater, 50 yrs 11 months
Furthest travelled – Arctic Tern from Wales to Australia 18,000 km
Strangest recovery – Osprey ring found in stomach of a crocodile in The Gambia!
Many thanks again for reporting this bird and contributing to the work of the Ringing Scheme. If you would like to find out more about the BTO please check out our website www.bto.org.
With best wishes
The Ringing Team
Reference 11112014SAS
BTO, The Nunnery, Thetford, Norfolk IP24 2PU. Tel 01842 750050 e: [email protected] w: www.bto.org/ringing
Registered Charity No 216652 (England & Wales, SC039193 (Scotland)Registered in England and Wales No 357284
Please note that the name and address of finders reporting ringed birds will be stored in computerised databases. Please
tell us if you do not wish your name and address to be included. The data controller is the Director of Services of the BTO.
Download as .html file

CARSINGTON WATER
NOVEMBER 2014 BIRD NOTES

November Highlights: Black-necked Grebe, Little Egret, Pink-footed Geese, Red-breasted Merganser, Knot, Bar-tailed Godwit, and Mediterranean and Caspian Gulls.

An average month species wise with 96, but maybe the real surprise was the absence of a Great Northern Diver. Only the second blank November since 2004. Hopefully December will bring our now to be expected Diver(s). Water bird maximums for November are on the WeBS on 16th unless stated: 17 Little Grebes on 7th, 41 Great-crested Grebes, the Black-necked Grebe last seen at Millfields on 10th, 23 Cormorants on 10th, a Little Egret on and off throughout the month, 3 Grey Herons, 40 Mute Swans. Movement of Pink-footed Geese were noted with 30 SE on 24th, and 130 E on 30th. 3 Greylag Geese on 1st, 60 Canada Geese on 21st, a Barnacle Goose on 3rd, 5 Shelduck on 30th, 220 Wigeon on 7th, 18 Gadwall, 181 Teal on 7th, 172 Mallards, 4 Pintail on 7th, 9 Shoveler on 1st, 4 Red-crested Pochard up to 22nd, with just 2 thereafter, 132 Pochard on 30th, 299 Tufted Duck, 8 Goldeneye on 21st, a Red-breasted Merganser on 6th, and another on 17th, 15 Goosander on 24th and 1242 Coot.

Raptors this month include 3 Sparrowhawks up together over Hall Wood on 5th, 5 Common Buzzards on 5th, a Kestrel on many dates and a Peregrine on 5th, 8th and 17th. Waders include c30 Golden Plover on 16th, 571 Lapwing on 16th, a Knot on 9th, 2 Dunlin on 10th and 24th, 25 Snipe on 24th, a Woodcock flew over the dam wall on 22nd, a Bar-tailed Godwit on 24th and 26th, 3 Curlew on 30th and 3 Redshank on 21st.

Interestingly this month there has been three different ages of Mediterranean Gull recorded. Firstly an adult roosted on 21st-22nd, then a 2nd winter on 24th followed by a 1st winter in the roost on 29th-30th. An adult Black-headed Gull with a colour ring was seen from Sheepwash Hide on 21st. The digits on the ring were determined and traced back to being ringed in Oslo, Norway. 8 Herring Gulls on 9th, 5 Yellow-legged Gulls roosted on 22nd, an adult Caspian Gull on 22nd and 24th and 7 Great Black-backed Gulls on Sheepwash Spit on 9th.

3 Stock Doves were noted on 21st, 1200 Wood Pigeons migrating through on 1st, a Kingfisher seen at many locations including at Paul Stanley hide giving good photographic opportunities. A site rare Green Woodpecker at Millfields on 21st and 29th, 14 Skylarks through on 1st, 15 Meadow Pipits on 3rd, 2 Stonechat on 2nd, then a lone female up to 16th, Thrush numbers boosted by wintering birds include 30 Blackbirds on 6th, 100 Fieldfare on 2nd with 125 on 6th, 5 Song Thrush on 6th and 50 Redwing on 6th. Either a very late or wintering Chiffchaff on 3rd, 6 Goldcrest on 5th and 10th, 520 Jackdaws out of a nearby roost on 1st, 405 Starlings on 10th, 2 Brambling on 6th, 55 Goldfinch on 14th, c20 Siskin on 10th, 15 Linnets on 1st, 2 Lesser Redpoll on 6th, 2 Yellowhammers on 15th and 5 Reed Buntings on 30th.

96 species this month compared with 92 in 2013, 95 in 2012, 99 in 2011 and 95 in 2010.

As I mentioned in the Carsington bird notes above about the lack of a GND's and that hopefully we would get at least one back in December. Well right on cue an adult GND has returned as one present this morning. Presumably the returning bird.

Pied Wag roost

The traditional roost in Belper town centre is gathering again. They are all outside Poundland on high street!
This is a pic of one tree with another next to it the same. There are well over 100 birds each evening at the minute, just a few feet above your head.
The seats below them in the bus layby are getting a real hammering though!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 69
Carr Vale DWT this afto - main highlights are a "Siberian" Chiffchaff today and a Firecrest.
Most birds were to be found down the path between sewage works and the embankment in sheltered spots. The bird tables held all the usual Tits inc x2 Willow, a Jay and 4 Bullfinch. A large Long Tailed Tit flock held the Firecrest and a few Goldcrest, on the move all the time but showing reasonably well before moving over to the sewage farm. Lots of Redwing and Blackbirds taking berries and a failed attempt by a female Sparrowhawk to take one. Nothing much to report from the pools but the winds were very strong. Large Gull gathering sheltering from the buffeting and plenty of Wigeon. Water Rail heard.

Attachments

• Bullfinch.JPG
    Bullfinch.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 40
Brief late afternoon nip into Carsington yesterday brought up nothing in particular, so had time to notice this bird at the wildlife centre. Anyone know much about intersex mallards, or I am looking into it too much here?

Not sure if it was quite the 100 pied wags at Poundland, still got the shoppers peering up.

Attachments

• mallrdintersex.jpg
    mallrdintersex.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 47
  • pwbelper.jpg
    pwbelper.jpg
    783.6 KB · Views: 44
Sunday 14th

Having decided on a trip around a few sites ooooop north for a change, we decided on Carr Vale first instead of Williamthorpe as Steve had identified a distant Ferruginous Duck in the gloom late saturday PM. Saw a few record shots of it on the back of Daves camera.
Not much going on in the County so all the big hitters seemed to be there........but news was soon "no sign"........tried for the mid week goodies but there seemed to be too many people about. The tables were well stocked and photographers taking advantage (those attached were from the table next to the viewing platform). Decided to visit the other sites we were going to anyway just in case it had stayed locally. Willow Tits were a big feature as at least 4 at Carr Vale and 3 more at the next stop - Poolsbrook. Also Lesser Redpoll and 4 Bullfinch at the marsh.
Tried Renishaw which also had 2 Willow Tits along with Kingfisher, Water Rail, 2 drake Mandarin, 17 Gadwall, 19 Shoveler, 4 Goosander, huge numbers of Canadas and Greylags, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk.
Stopped at Ogston gull roost on the way home - nobody else about which was a surprise. Large roost also but couldnt find anything out of the ordinary.

Didnt see any Pochard all day which is often the carrier for Ferruginous.....keep em peeled near you.

Attachments

• Bully.jpg
    Bully.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 20
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    327.5 KB · Views: 22
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 32
Having decided on a trip around a few sites ooooop north for a change, we decided on Carr Vale first instead of Williamthorpe

Wow, used to be at the Williamthorpe Res every day after school. Used to have Bearded Tit down there and lots besides. I hear it's gone down hill since they converted it into a reserve..?

Anyone go to this place?:

http://www.theavenueproject.co.uk/News/Docs/Avenue Washlands Leaflet final.pdf

Anyway, over again at Christmas and will be looking out for Waxwings and other treats we don't really get here in Spain.

Merry Christmas to all

Wow, used to be at the Williamthorpe Res every day after school. Used to have Bearded Tit down there and lots besides. I hear it's gone down hill since they converted it into a reserve..?

Anyone go to this place?:

http://www.theavenueproject.co.uk/News/Docs/Avenue Washlands Leaflet final.pdf

Anyway, over again at Christmas and will be looking out for Waxwings and other treats we don't really get here in Spain.

Merry Christmas to all

Hi Stephen, thanks for the reply. I haven't seen it such to be honest. It's been a superb place since being made into a reserve with significant habitat management, but the reply must belong to someone who has been heavily involved in managing the site for some time..........

"The site has had more habitat creation in the last 25 years than it ever had, scrape creation, ringing rides, glade creation, woodland management, reed bed management which brought in wintering Bittern, 200 plus snipe. double figure Jack snipe, double figure water Rail, 25 plus pairs of Reed Warbler......top 3 in BTO Constant Effort Ringing site in UK..the main loss the Corn Bunting roost because the mag limestone area lost Corn Bunting......nothing to do with reserve status.
Habitat creation for Willow Tit to retain populations working with the national RSPB study, the woodland management retains willow warbler and Chiffchaff populations.

and hey we just had a tick for the reserve.........Cettis Warbler.

Williamthorpe when it was a pit tip and then opencast site was the classic big open area with open water which attracted birds in......as it was reclaimed and matured the bird community changed and it still pulls some good stuff.

Steve Mann’s excellent book charted this. Steve was a major player covering the site three times a day for many years.

It has always been a hard site to cover, the reedbed before the wetland /scrape areas were created was difficult to watch, many birds traditionally come in and are soon gone....Steve was able to pin them down and alert other birders to come and see stuff...but he moved on to the moors and Ogston....and no regular birders took his place. Alan Heeley has done a great deal with habitat management and Sorby Brek Ringers have covered the site and done great work there.

The big big change which will change the Reserve for ever happened today (15th December) ...............the pumps which pumped the mine water for the last 60 odd years to protect the Derby/Notts Coalfield and created the ponds and also the wetland which became the Phrag reedbed ........ were finally switched off today by UK coal...with Thoresby Pit closing next summer, there is no need to pump the mine workings any more....the cost of electricity is exorbitant and they have literally pulled the plug .... This will change the reserve’s wetland and reedbed as it begins to dry out and become carr woodland over the years.

The water from the workings was a few degrees warmer than that in the ponds so the warm water from the mine was crucial to making Williamthorpe different and such a draw in the winter .
It ensured that Williamthorpe rarely froze so holding and attracting good numbers of wildfowl and soft mud for all manner of birds....now it will freeze and the open water will decrease. It will impact on the lower two ponds and the Muster Brook and onward to the Spital Brook and on to the Rother.

It is a real shame ....but it was a day that would come as the coal industry bit the dust".

I have seen the Bitterns, Water Rail, Jack Snipe, Willow Tits and other vital species here recently as I work in Chesterfield. Then there are the local rarities like Marsh Warbler, Long Tailed Duck, Spotted Sand and Arctic Redpoll that I have shared in. It's a real shame that its under threat, but then so many places locally are........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back